+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
O/S Deployment Thread, WDS & MDT with Drivers etc in Technical; If you are using automated task sequences to build your task sequences you can install all office on a test ...
    Thank Post
    If you are using automated task sequences to build your task sequences you can install all office on a test machine and then use a script to extract all the office updates and dump them into your office install folder, you can obviously use these updates in other scenarios as well.

Thank Post
    thanks for help with mdt here.
    One more question - on my machine with office 2013 installed that is going to be a custom image ospprearm.exe does not exist - not in usual places and did a search of c drive. How can I rearm office or do I need to? - I have a KMS server running and previously have run this before uploading image.

Thank Post
    ok, I think i need some pointers.

Here's where i've got to;

Created an image (full with apps)
    Sysprep'd it and captured it with WDS
    Added a unattend.xml file in the sysperep that asks for computer name and then joins the domain etc
    Tested this deployment through WDS - WORKS FINE.

on the same server as the WDS server, setup MDT and the deployment share
    Imported the WDS image into MDT
    Added the drivers for one particular laptop
    followed the instructions in Driver deployment with Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) – Part 1: OS deployment - 4sysops
    Updated the delpoyment share and grabbed the lite_touch ISO.

On said laptop, started MDT, filled in the info (i plan to automate this later im just testing at the moment)
    The image deployed

HOWEVER . . .
    When I deployed it with WDS the image stopped asked for a computer name, joined the domain and carried on.
    With MDT it doesnt ask for the name (from my unattend.xml) and just boots to the desktop...

I then get a message saying

a connection to the deployment share (\\server\\deploymentshare$) could not be made

Seems like the drivers didnt install and the NIC isnt working...

Any help on the above?

Firstly - why am I not being asked to specify my machine name from my custom unattend.xml file (it is imported into WDS)
    secondly - any ideas why my drivers didnt install?

Thank Post
    First of all, the computer name.
    Right, in MDT the unattend.xml is kept in the "<deployment share>\Control\<Task sequence ID>\Unattend.xml"

So you need to check that <ComputerName /> or something similar to that is in your unattend.xml file. to edit the file properly go into the task sequence -> OS Info -> Edit unattend.xml.

also, another thing to to check is that the CustomSetting.ini file in the Deployment Share Control Folder doesnt have "SKIPWIZARD=YES" OR "SKIPComputerName=YES" set. Even if they arnt set try doing "SKIPComputerName=NO" then when you first network boot the machine you will have to put in the computer name then.

Secondly, with the drivers, sounds like a generic problem. First of all, can you manually install the drivers and they work? I do not know exactly how your doing drivers. If your doing the DriverGroup001=%make%\%model% way then you need to make sure the folders are correct. You can do this by running this in powershell: "Gwmi win32_computersystem" on the computer in question. The Manufacturer is what the %make% needs to be. and Model is %model%. thats how the folder structure will need to be. Then in your Task Sequence (TS) you need to go to the first "Inject Drivers" step and set the selection profile to "Nothing" and you can choose what you want for the option below, i personally use matching option.

Hope that helps,
    Joe

5. Thanks to jugglerjoe from:

jamin100 (2nd July 2013)

Thank Post
    right, I may have found a problem then. Running Gwmi win32_computersystem in powershell gives me this

Manufacturer: ERGO
    Model : To be filled by O.E.M

Thank Post
    ah that could defo be your problem if you want to double double triple check boot into the MDT (but dont start the task sequence). Press F8 and a CMD box should appear. if you type "cscript Z:\scripts\ztigather.wsf" it should output loads of TS variables. Look for the Make and Model variables and see if these are the same.

If that is the case for all ERGO machines AND you only have ERGO machines then in your Customsetting.ini you can just put DriverGroup001=<Operating system>\%make% and then your out of box driver structure would be (for windows 8) "Windows 8\ERGO"

If you have other machines then in your CustomSettings.ini then you can put in "Model" or "Make" in the priority part of the CS.ini and then put the Model/Make in [] then under that put your driverGroup001. For Example

This is cut and paste from ours.

Priority= Model,BeginningFix,UserApps,ByVMType,Default

[SATELLITE R830]
    'Toshiba R830 Laptops need to have this installed to enable certain button functions
    MandatoryApplications001={7a12a60c-62bd-4125-8530-3ef5b1b48b94}

[SATELLITE R930]
    'R930 Keys
    MandatoryApplications001={6c417364-dffc-4e99-8f05-1f8d5fdbdcb1}

'DriverGroups
    DriverGroup001=Windows 8\TOSHIBA\Satellite R930

[300E4C/300E5C/300E7C]
    DriverGroup001=Windows 8\SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.\300E5C

Hope that helps.
    Joe

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread