+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
O/S Deployment Thread, Migrating to Windows 7 this summer. Is SCCM overkill for a secondary school? in Technical; Originally Posted by aravacon I'll start off by saying I work for Specops Software. Full disclosure ;-) The latest release ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aravacon View Post
    I'll start off by saying I work for Specops Software. Full disclosure ;-)

The latest release of Specops Deploy supports full configuration and management of SCEP/FEP.
    What are you looking at price wise for Specops Deploy then? I guess it would be hard to beat the MS licensing deal that most of us get. I was considering going down the SCCM route myself and it will be very low cost to add to our environment, but I do think it's a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut in this case.

edit: Can I also say you need to update your demo form page. It won't accept my email address as it's too long, and the field for my phone number doesn't accept an extension number either. Perhaps you could arrange a demo for me Aravacon?
    Last edited by Modey; 7th May 2013 at 10:55 AM.

Thank Post
    Hi Modey,

We offer good discounts for schools and the public sector so while not free, you'll get something that you can manage. We have a lot of schools within our customer base in the UK and in North America.

Thanks for the feedback on the website form. I'll get that fixed.

I'd be happy to arrange a demo for you with our UK sales contractor Alan. Send me an email with your contact info to infomaster (at) specopssoft.com and I'll have Alan get in touch.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,018 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Would indeed need to be good - SCCM is mostly all covered already with EES agreements!

Thank Post
    SCCM is a very good bit of software, used it since it was SMS 2003 so for those starting on 2012 you're very lucky

Imaging is spot on and sounds like MS have finally integrated WSUS with SCCM properly so at EES pricing there's no reason not to go for it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We will be making use of it properly when we move to 7. However, we aren't planning on using it for imaging - Fog is far simpler to be honest.

But we will be using it for application deployment, SCEP and updates.

Thank Post
    Fog might be quicker to push an image but once you build software deployment into your SCCM task sequences with WMI queries etc you won't go back

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Fog might be quicker to push an image but once you build software deployment into your SCCM task sequences with WMI queries etc you won't go back
    I still disagree - building a universal image using VirtualBox, capturing it and then deploying it using Fog is child's play. Not to mention, making future changes is as simple as editing your virtualbox machine and recapturing.

We don't deploy software in any overly complex matter - all classroom workstations get the same software, all teacher machines get the same software, all admin machines get the same software.

Thank Post
    I'm playing with SCCM 2012 OS deployment at the moment, currently using Fog for image deployment. While I like the simplicity of Fog, it is still a manual task for updating the images although this is still pretty painless when done on a VM. This can all be automated in SCCM with the Build and Capture task sequences which I think is cleaner and has less margin for error IMO.

SCCM does seem much more flexible and powerful when using the task sequences etc and should save us having to run manual scripts for setting up things like Bitlocker on staff laptops.

Thank Post
    The good thing about SCCM and OSD is the Task Sequences - it saves spaces, much easier to create clones of - *copy/paste/edit*
    And you don't need to recapture the whole imiage just to update one or 2 bits of software. - this was the downside to the likes of RIS and Ghost, etc..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12