+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, MDT and Windows Updates in Technical; Hi all, After finally getting all of my applications onto the server, tested and licensed (today I might add) I ...
    Thank Post

MDT and Windows Updates

Hi all,

After finally getting all of my applications onto the server, tested and licensed (today I might add) I have come to a bit of a brick wall..

My MDT setup works perfectly, I have tested every driver for every computer and laptop, I have run a test deployment to one computer/laptop of each model and can confirm they work.

However...
    I am completely stumped how I am going to deploy the Windows Updates with the initial install of Windows 7...
    The idea of deploying a OS without the updates is a little daunting.

Anyone got any tips on how I can incorporate all of the latest Windows 7 updates into my install.wim?

Thanks,

Olliesaurus

Thank Post
    You could make a sequence that installs Windows 7 then installs the latest updates, then making the image. Just run this once a month when the updates come out, then you can always have a fully patched wim. This is what I'm gonna try soon

Thank Post
    1. When you do a build and capture do the windows updates as part of the task sequence. You can specify the wsus server in customsettings.ini

2. Add packages to mdt. Point to wsus content folder on the wsus server. However these will be deployed when the OS is. Long wait.

3. Add windows update to the task sequence for deployment. You have to wait a long time.

4. Try an do offline update http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../hh825626.aspx

I couldn't get this to work.

5. Move to sccm which has offline updates on wim files.

Thank Post
    I was hoping I would be able to inject the drivers into a Win7 SP1 iso and then import that into MDT.

I have tried a few ways but the only updates I seem to be able to get access to (msu files anyway) are few and far between...

Thank Post
    Add WSUS server and once it has downloaded throw this line in to the custom settings.
    WSUSSERVER= and then link it to your WSUS server

when you have done that ensure you have synced all updates and then approve them all and then in the standard task's ensure the windows update sections are enabled.

Job done.

When deploying it will look for the WSUS server and grab what it needs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Olliesaurus View Post
    I was hoping I would be able to inject the drivers into a Win7 SP1 iso and then import that into MDT.

I have tried a few ways but the only updates I seem to be able to get access to (msu files anyway) are few and far between...
    Microsoft Update Catalog

That site should have all of the MSU files you could wish to download! It'll be time-consuming, and the interface isn't the best in the world...

Thank Post
    Its all to get you to buy SCCM!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    When creating a new build image we use the OfflineWSUS Installer application and download all the updates seperate. Then once the fresh install is made the updates are added. It creates an up to date image for a while and lessens the load on the WSUS server when building and also makes it a bit quicker.

I create a new image once a year.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Thanks for your input all, I decided to go down the route of WSUS, it takes a little longer but if appears to work without any issues, maybe one day when I am a little braver I will give another go at injecting the drivers into the WIM.

Thanks,

Olliesaurus

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Olliesaurus View Post
    Hi all,

After finally getting all of my applications onto the server, tested and licensed (today I might add) I have come to a bit of a brick wall..

My MDT setup works perfectly, I have tested every driver for every computer and laptop, I have run a test deployment to one computer/laptop of each model and can confirm they work.

However...
    I am completely stumped how I am going to deploy the Windows Updates with the initial install of Windows 7...
    The idea of deploying a OS without the updates is a little daunting.

Anyone got any tips on how I can incorporate all of the latest Windows 7 updates into my install.wim?

Thanks,

Olliesaurus
    Hi

You dont incorporate the windows updates into your WIM file, you tell the MDT server at the end of the build to go away and check your WSUS server for update and if MDT finds any it will install them for you as part of the install process. You add the commands in the Rules section of your MDT.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IKWeb View Post
    Hi

You dont incorporate the windows updates into your WIM file, you tell the MDT server at the end of the build to go away and check your WSUS server for update and if MDT finds any it will install them for you as part of the install process. You add the commands in the Rules section of your MDT.
    I disagree a little bit there. When you are creating your reference image there is nothing to stop you installing Windows 7 then installing updates and then capturing the most up to date image you can. That is what we do.

Before creating a fresh image (once every 6 months) I download all updates using WSUS Offline Installer. I then create my reference image and install all the updates from a USB stick. Like I say this makes sure I have the most up to date image I can get.

Oh and I've still got the WSUS checks in there as well as I know there will be updates between images. Certainly saves downloading 100 or so updates everytime I build a machine.

Isn't that how everyone does it?

Gareth

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    I disagree a little bit there. When you are creating your reference image there is nothing to stop you installing Windows 7 then installing updates and then capturing the most up to date image you can. That is what we do.

Before creating a fresh image (once every 6 months) I download all updates using WSUS Offline Installer. I then create my reference image and install all the updates from a USB stick. Like I say this makes sure I have the most up to date image I can get.

Oh and I've still got the WSUS checks in there as well as I know there will be updates between images. Certainly saves downloading 100 or so updates everytime I build a machine.

Isn't that how everyone does it?

Gareth
    Ahh in that case if your creating a FAT image with updates as part of the image then yes, sorry you are right, Here we push out a basic Windows 7 image, from the source files from the Windows 7 DVD, and then updates are installed by MDT, and applications via MSI. We don't incorporate anything in the WIM file at all.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ahh in that case if your creating a FAT image with updates as part of the image then yes, sorry you are right, Here we push out a basic Windows 7 image, from the source files from the Windows 7 DVD, and then updates are installed by MDT, and applications via MSI. We don't incorporate anything in the WIM file at all.
    I see where you are coming from but doesn't it make sense to cut down the deployment time by making the best Windows 7 base image possible? If you simply install Windows 7 SP1 then there are around 100 individual updates to go on during the WSUS stage of deployment. This takes time. It would be quicker to get them into the base from day one.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    I see where you are coming from but doesn't it make sense to cut down the deployment time by making the best Windows 7 base image possible? If you simply install Windows 7 SP1 then there are around 100 individual updates to go on during the WSUS stage of deployment. This takes time. It would be quicker to get them into the base from day one.

Gareth
    If your after a fast way then, yes adding the updates to the image would make the deployment faster. But then on a down side you have to then keep this image up to date, and i haven't come across a IT department who have enough time to do this.

All the software we install is done via MSI so we have no need for images which include applications.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If your after a fast way then, yes adding the updates to the image would make the deployment faster. But then on a down side you have to then keep this image up to date, and i haven't come across a IT department who have enough time to do this.

All the software we install is done via MSI so we have no need for images which include applications.
    Again I see your point but I believe we should be trying to make our job easier and get machines up and running quicker (for the benefit of the pupils). INstalling updates from USB is a lot quicker than installing during the deployment process. Making a new image every six months isn't that time consuming if you plan it.

Our software is MSI/GPO as well. The only one we include in the image is CS3 - but even that is going soon as we are to purchase CS6 in June which is supposed to have an improved deployment method.

Gareth

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast