+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31
O/S Deployment Thread, Imaging Software - what do you use? in Technical; I use MDT to create a reference image, then I sysprep it and use Ghost. Never been a problem with ...
  1. #16
    themightymrp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Leeds, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,256
    Thank Post
    218
    Thanked 231 Times in 200 Posts
    Rep Power
    74
    I use MDT to create a reference image, then I sysprep it and use Ghost. Never been a problem with our PC's

  2. #17

    DaveP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Posts
    9,090
    Thank Post
    352
    Thanked 1,317 Times in 903 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    1135
    Quote Originally Posted by themightymrp View Post
    I use MDT to create a reference image, then I sysprep it and use Ghost. Never been a problem with our PC's
    We were using Ghost on our Viglen network with XP based workstations. We moved to a vanilla network and kept using Ghost. We only moved over to WDS when we moved over to Windows 7. I find it much easier. I don't know how we are going to get on with SCCM.

  3. #18
    andy_nic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    445
    Thank Post
    31
    Thanked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    Rep Power
    19
    from Easter Windows Deployment services built on a 2012 server. As ghost by symantec doesn't fully support windows 8 yet. got to say I'm impressed with WDS to now have 1 image for all laptops 1 image for all PC's. when a new model comes in just add the new drivers and your done. where before with ghost I could never get it work with different hardware model. so had to have separate images.

  4. #19
    VeryPC_Tom_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    388
    Thank Post
    14
    Thanked 82 Times in 79 Posts
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    We were using Ghost on our Viglen network with XP based workstations. We moved to a vanilla network and kept using Ghost. We only moved over to WDS when we moved over to Windows 7. I find it much easier. I don't know how we are going to get on with SCCM.
    AFAIK, MDT connects SCCM and WDS, so it'll be easier to manage than straight WDS.

  5. Thanks to VeryPC_Tom_M from:

    DaveP (22nd March 2013)

  6. #20

    DaveP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Posts
    9,090
    Thank Post
    352
    Thanked 1,317 Times in 903 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    1135
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Tom_M View Post
    AFAIK, MDT connects SCCM and WDS, so it'll be easier to manage than straight WDS.
    Easier than WDS? Sounds good! WDS is already easy enough to use/manage.

  7. #21
    VeryPC_Tom_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    388
    Thank Post
    14
    Thanked 82 Times in 79 Posts
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Easier than WDS? Sounds good! WDS is already easy enough to use/manage.
    << hates injecting drivers into WDS.

    Maybe I'm lazy.. maybe I hate command line.. maybe I've been spoilt, by using MDT

  8. #22

    DaveP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Posts
    9,090
    Thank Post
    352
    Thanked 1,317 Times in 903 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    1135
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Tom_M View Post
    << hates injecting drivers into WDS...
    I have only had to inject drivers to our image once. It was a chore but I was able to get my head around it. Wouldn't want to be doing it often though.

  9. #23

    Norphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Harpenden
    Posts
    2,490
    Thank Post
    56
    Thanked 343 Times in 266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Tom_M View Post
    << hates injecting drivers into WDS.

    Maybe I'm lazy.. maybe I hate command line.. maybe I've been spoilt, by using MDT
    I'll admit that it's been a while since I did it but why use the command line to inject drivers into WDS? In Windows 2008 R2 at least, you can add them to the console just like you can with SCCM and MDT.

    FWIW, we use SCCM for OSD.

  10. #24
    andy_nic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    445
    Thank Post
    31
    Thanked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    I'll admit that it's been a while since I did it but why use the command line to inject drivers into WDS? In Windows 2008 R2 at least, you can add them to the console just like you can with SCCM and MDT.

    FWIW, we use SCCM for OSD.
    i was about to say am i missing something because I've only ever used 2012 and just a case of right click add driver and point to the folder containing all the new driver you want to import.. very handy when dell now do driver CAB files. even then i don't think it injects the drivers i think when it installs it just looks up the driver database to collect the ones which match the hardware IDs.
    Last edited by andy_nic; 22nd March 2013 at 02:58 PM. Reason: spelling

  11. #25
    mrbios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stroud, Gloucestershire
    Posts
    2,579
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 269 Times in 221 Posts
    Rep Power
    101
    Only time i've ever had to mess around with any drivers in WDS bar adding them to the store is to inject network drivers into the boot image, but that's dead simple and no command line involved. Can't even think what you'd need command line driver injecting for?

  12. #26
    VeryPC_Tom_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    388
    Thank Post
    14
    Thanked 82 Times in 79 Posts
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Only time i've ever had to mess around with any drivers in WDS bar adding them to the store is to inject network drivers into the boot image, but that's dead simple and no command line involved. Can't even think what you'd need command line driver injecting for?
    Injecting network drivers into a Vista Boot wim.. In 2k8r2 WDS, the inject drivers option is greyed out unless you're adding drivers to at least a Windows 7 Boot wim

  13. #27
    mrbios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stroud, Gloucestershire
    Posts
    2,579
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 269 Times in 221 Posts
    Rep Power
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Tom_M View Post
    Injecting network drivers into a Vista Boot wim.. In 2k8r2 WDS, the inject drivers option is greyed out unless you're adding drivers to at least a Windows 7 Boot wim
    Ah, well that's your own fault for using a shoddy OS... haha

  14. #28
    cpjitservices's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hessle
    Posts
    2,525
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 293 Times in 269 Posts
    Rep Power
    83
    Several options we use at the moment, I'm using fog but I am wanting to implement partimage (Linux's own alternative to GHOST) and its free, I also have WDS as a backup.

    I do miss Novell Zenworks Imaging though.

  15. #29
    XiJ
    XiJ is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    219
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 44 Times in 41 Posts
    Rep Power
    11
    We use Clonezilla at the moment. Got a fog machine setup but haven't had a chance to play.

    I'd like to look into WDS at some point too

  16. #30

    garethedmondson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gowerton, Swansea
    Posts
    2,271
    Thank Post
    965
    Thanked 325 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    165
    I use MDT2012 for the network. I love the product and am constantly learning new things about it. I read most of the blogs about the software and have become quite addicted to getting it running perfectly. :-)

    Gareth

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Helpdesk software... what do you use?
    By rad in forum General Chat
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 21st November 2011, 11:31 AM
  2. Alumni Software - What do you use?
    By Ben_Stanton in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16th March 2011, 11:31 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 15th December 2010, 10:24 AM
  4. what kind of microsoft software licencing do you use
    By in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10th March 2007, 02:53 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •