+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
O/S Deployment Thread, How do I use a captured image to use offline? in Technical; Hello, I have been using WDS successfully and capturing and deploying an image over PXE. Unfortunately i've got a laptop ...
  1. #1
    marsdenprimary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    482
    Thank Post
    247
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    How do I use a captured image to use offline?

    Hello,

    I have been using WDS successfully and capturing and deploying an image over PXE. Unfortunately i've got a laptop that just does not want to connect using PXE :/ Doesn't even connect to our server.

    I need to know a SIMPLE way, hopefully without the need for DOS, on how to take the captured image on our server, stick it on a or external hard drive and just image the laptop with it.

    Easy step by steps would be most appreciated!

  2. #2

    LeMarchand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The deepest pits of hell
    Posts
    2,143
    Thank Post
    297
    Thanked 331 Times in 235 Posts
    Rep Power
    141
    I've never been unlucky enough to have to test this, but I was under the impression that you could use a WinPE boot disk with ImageX to achieve this. See here for a walkthrough on creating the disk. It's still a lot of command line work both to create the disk and deploy the image, though!

    There's also GImageX, which might be easier to use for the deployment.

    Just a thought: is WDS the only available option for PXE booting (i.e. no Ghost or anything else)? If so, have you included the network drivers for the offending laptop in your deploy image? That's caught me out a couple of times!

  3. Thanks to LeMarchand from:

    marsdenprimary (25th January 2013)

  4. #3
    marsdenprimary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    482
    Thank Post
    247
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    I've never been unlucky enough to have to test this, but I was under the impression that you could use a WinPE boot disk with ImageX to achieve this. See here for a walkthrough on creating the disk. It's still a lot of command line work both to create the disk and deploy the image, though!

    There's also GImageX, which might be easier to use for the deployment.

    Just a thought: is WDS the only available option for PXE booting (i.e. no Ghost or anything else)? If so, have you included the network drivers for the offending laptop in your deploy image? That's caught me out a couple of times!
    Cheers for this x The laptop doesn't even SEE the server to connect- just waits and waits and then boots into the OS as normal. Weird. Could this be a driver issue?? I did have one that brought up a 'network driver missing' error type thing so i injected the drivers into the boot image and it worked. This one doesn't get that far...

  5. #4
    fairm010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    C:/Windows/System32/
    Posts
    1,108
    Thank Post
    47
    Thanked 133 Times in 115 Posts
    Rep Power
    43
    Does it look for a DHCP address in the PXE boot interface? Can you see that happen? Do you get a message such as Cable not connected? Or a PXE response error?

    Also, sounds recidulous but ive had to remove the WLAN card from laptops before in order for PXE boot to function.

    Matt

  6. #5

    LeMarchand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The deepest pits of hell
    Posts
    2,143
    Thank Post
    297
    Thanked 331 Times in 235 Posts
    Rep Power
    141
    IIRC it went PXE>Shake hands with server>Choose what to do>hang, so it sounds like a different problem. (Though I guess it wouldn't hurt to inject the drivers).

    Not the solution you need, but possibly quicker in the long run (especially as it's only one machine): apply the image to a different machine, sysprep it and clone it with Clonezilla/any other suitable program and use that image to apply to the laptop. (I have to do this a bit as I'm trying to keep new machines x64 and a couple of my schools have x32 servers).

    Just seen @fairm010's reply, which would only take a few minutes to test, so I'd only use the above it doesn't work.

  7. #6
    marsdenprimary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    482
    Thank Post
    247
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by fairm010 View Post
    Does it look for a DHCP address in the PXE boot interface? Can you see that happen? Do you get a message such as Cable not connected? Or a PXE response error?

    Also, sounds recidulous but ive had to remove the WLAN card from laptops before in order for PXE boot to function.

    Matt
    It gets an error- no DHCP servers available kind of error. If it comes to it i'll remove the card but is there no way of disabling it in the BIOS?

  8. #7
    fairm010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    C:/Windows/System32/
    Posts
    1,108
    Thank Post
    47
    Thanked 133 Times in 115 Posts
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by marsdenprimary View Post
    It gets an error- no DHCP servers available kind of error. If it comes to it i'll remove the card but is there no way of disabling it in the BIOS?
    On the newer laptops, yes you can disable in BIOS. The ones I was dealing with were old Toshiba things.

    Have you defined option 60 in DHCP to PXEClient?

  9. #8
    marsdenprimary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    482
    Thank Post
    247
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by fairm010 View Post
    On the newer laptops, yes you can disable in BIOS. The ones I was dealing with were old Toshiba things.

    Have you defined option 60 in DHCP to PXEClient?
    Sorry for the late response. Still not had chance to revisit this yet. X

  10. #9
    timbo343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leeds/York area, North Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,945
    Thank Post
    278
    Thanked 261 Times in 188 Posts
    Rep Power
    114
    Have you thought about clonezilla? Not sure if it will work though

  11. #10
    free780's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    900
    Thank Post
    41
    Thanked 67 Times in 64 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    Back to the original question.
    Create winpe media.
    Boot from it with you captured image on the media.
    diskpart
    sel dis 0
    clean
    cre par pri
    format fs=ntfs quick
    assign letter=c
    active
    imagex /apply <capturedimage.wim> 1 c:\

    wait

    bcdboot c:\windows

    You will have to set the pc name and joint he domain manually. Unless you have a answer file that will work.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st October 2012, 11:21 AM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 30th October 2010, 09:20 AM
  3. how do you check through students image files?
    By DAckroyd in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 19th June 2009, 04:13 PM
  4. how do you convert an xml file to xls
    By speckytecky in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15th June 2009, 10:09 AM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 13th September 2007, 01:38 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •