+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Sysprep - what have I done wrong? in Technical; Have upgraded a machine to Windows 7 Professional, installed all the drivers, installed all the apps and made sure everything ...
    Thank Post

Sysprep - what have I done wrong?

Have upgraded a machine to Windows 7 Professional, installed all the drivers, installed all the apps and made sure everything was OK.

First time using sysprep so I ran it from Windows Explorer with the options for OOBE, "Generalise" ticked (I want to deploy the image to other machines and don't want the machine name, SID etc to cause conflicts) and When Finished, set to "Quit".

Sysprep ran OK and created a file to say it had done. I thought I'd have a look to see what it had done on the computer, but very quickly ran into some RPC error messages (I was trying to look for the machine name but guess that sysprep had wiped it out).

Then I shut the PC down and booted up Clonezilla to take an image of the netbook. Going through it transpired that Clonezilla could only see the wireless LAN card not the network card. As it doesn't work over wireless (it hasn't for me anyway), I aborted that and booted the machine back up normally. Because that booted off a portable DVD drive, it didn't interfere with the Windows bootup at all.

Now the machine has come up with a "Setup is starting services" file which I guess means the Sysprep has worked. But now I've got an "Install Windows" error message and "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer and then restart the installation." When I do that, I get "Setup will continue after restarting your computer", the machine restarts and then the same thing happens again in a loop.

I can't get back into it at all. I must have done something wrong, but not sure what and now looking for ideas on how to resolve this! Aaaargh!

Thank Post
    Phew! No idea what I did wrong, but I have found this article and followed the advice on how to edit the registry and got back in!

Error message "The Computer Restarted unexpectedly or encountered - Microsoft Community

I might need to sysprep the machine again but at least it's working. Would love to know if I did anything wrong but I will just have to take it on trial and error I guess. Nice to see the sysprep work I did is prompting me for settings on startup anyway.

Thank Post
    Oh great. Pretty much all the drivers have been stripped out. I obviously did something very wrong!

Any pointers on how better to run Sysprep - next time should I try from a command prompt and use an answer file with "PersistAllDeviceInstalls" in?

Thank Post
    I would say once sysprep has completed don't do anything with the machine apart from shut it down. I normally get sysprep to shut the machine down when its complete.

Also if you have had to make changes to the registry and now your saying your are missing all your drivers you image is scrap.

You should only sysprep windows 7 once.

Thank Post
    Yeah, so much for my natural curiosity, I really should have left well alone. I was wondering whether there was anything I could salvage from that build but you're right, it isn't fit for anything.

What I'm trying to work out is whether it was the way I ran sysprep that stripped all the drivers out - I expected some to go like the network and wireless adapters and the graphics card drivers, but I didn't expect most of them to go including the USB drivers. Am going to rebuild the netbook, probably with a fresh install of Windows 7 (groan), but need to know where I went wrong to stop this happening next time.

I want to strip out the computer name, SID etc so that I can copy the image to other netbooks. But I want to keep the drivers as the netbooks are all identical hardware. Is there a way of doing this?
    Last edited by kaphc; 14th January 2013 at 11:15 PM.

ttw

Thank Post
    I encountered this problem on a new build for an Acer Travelmate laptop. One of the first items that came up on a Google query was this: Mick's IT Blogs: "The Computer Restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error" during sysprep. I followed the instructions to modify the registry entry - lo and behold, one live, working laptop again!

Thank Post
    Yeah, the Microsoft article I linked to earlier ddi the same thing with a Shift + F10 shortcut to get in and be able to modify the registry. Thank goodness for Google as it was one shaky moment for me! I am slightly reassured to see that it has happened to others on builds as well, as at the time I thought it was probably just me!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread