+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, WDS - Prompt to Enter Computer name (Using WDS unnatend.xml selected on the server) in Technical; Ive seen that there are several guides to modifying the sysprep file after you have captured the image and then ...

Thank Post

WDS - Prompt to Enter Computer name (Using WDS unnatend.xml selected on the server)

Ive seen that there are several guides to modifying the sysprep file after you have captured the image and then run a VBS script or similar, or use mysysprep2 to get the image to prompt for computer name.. but i want to select the XML for each image using the option on the properties on the WDS server.

After all these years is this possible yet?

wds20.JPG

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've got a script you can use as part of a task sequence which will detect a random computer name and prompt you to choose one. I think I posted it on my blog, but I may have to go digging and re post it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheScarfedOne View Post
    I've got a script you can use as part of a task sequence which will detect a random computer name and prompt you to choose one. I think I posted it on my blog, but I may have to go digging and re post it.
    Thanks for this, but want select the xml on the wds server and not sysprep and then capture.

I have added all the schools drivers into install.wim so one image will install to any machine.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Export the image and import it again under a different name, but keep it in the same install group. Then under its properties select a different XML for the unattended file. Result will be an additional image in the list of available ones to choose from, only this one will be using a different answer file. Since WDS uses deduplication to store the images in an install group it won't take up any additional space either.

Thank Post
    I found the sections here really helpful in relating to Prompt for a computer name in unattend.xml
    Sysprep a Windows 7 Machine

Thank Post
    I am currently in this situation. I have a unattended.xml that installs on our new Windows 7 image. Everything is automated and installs perfectly. I now want to somehow name the machine at the start of the PXE install.

Anyone know a way to do this? Just want it to prompt me for the computer name and continue to install.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by daneil16 View Post
    I am currently in this situation. I have a unattended.xml that installs on our new Windows 7 image. Everything is automated and installs perfectly. I now want to somehow name the machine at the start of the PXE install.

Anyone know a way to do this? Just want it to prompt me for the computer name and continue to install.

Thanks
    Have a look at WDS name and approve:

Deploying Windows 7 through WDS - Prompt for PC name

edit - this assumes that you use just WDS for deployment (not MDT/SCCM etc)
    Last edited by computer_expert; 18th June 2014 at 04:40 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread