+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Quickest way to get 250 UUID for SCCM OSD in Technical; Hey guys, I have 250 student laptops to re-image. Now with SCCM2007sp2 I need to have the machine name and ...

Thank Post

Quickest way to get 250 UUID for SCCM OSD

Hey guys,

I have 250 student laptops to re-image.

Now with SCCM2007sp2 I need to have the machine name and either the UUID or the MAC.
    MAC is no good (as we have found out) as we often change between the Wired NIC or the Wireless NIC and you can only have one MAC so therefore I am thinking the UUID is the best option for us.

As this is 36 characters long it is going to be a long day if I need to type "Wmic csproduct get uuid" in a command prompt for each and every computer and then manually copy that over to a CSV file for import into the SCCM DB.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can do this fast and efficiently. They do have an OS on them but how good would it be if I could boot on a thumb drive with winpe and an auto run script which just copies the guid to a file on the thumb drive along with the current machine name. Then I can just edit the file and import.

The other option is to enable "Unknown Computer" option but I dont think this will not allow me to dictate the machine name which is assigned to each uuid / computer. I dont think - never done it - anyone tried it????

Thanks
    James

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    MAC is no good (as we have found out) as we often change between the Wired NIC or the Wireless NIC and you can only have one MAC so therefore I am thinking the UUID is the best option for us.
    Not what you want to hear but in our SCCM 2012 install you can have more than 1 mac per device. It must be new in 2012.

The other option is to enable "Unknown Computer" option but I dont think this will not allow me to dictate the machine name which is assigned to each uuid / computer. I dont think - never done it - anyone tried it????
    You could use that will Mysysprep. Mysysprep will allow you to enter a machine name when the machine boots from being imaged.

Thank Post
    You can use a collection variable on unknown computers. We use it to great effect -
    How to Specify the Computer Name during a ConfigMgr OS Deployment « SCCM Guy's Blog

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Likewise. Just enable unknown computer support. There are some crypts on my blog to detect and prompt for machine name or use collection variable.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheScarfedOne View Post
    Likewise. Just enable unknown computer support. There are some crypts on my blog to detect and prompt for machine name or use collection variable.
    Thanks for that - I have read your blogs on OSD on SCCM and like what I have read so far. But your last post on this topic was part5 back in April and you said 6 & 7 are coming. Did you manage to complete them as I would love to see the completed product?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread