+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, ImageX / Windows PE 3.0 and NIC Drivers in Technical; Ok to explain the setup : * One 2 Bay NAS which is on a 169.254.178.6 ip address * One ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts

ImageX / Windows PE 3.0 and NIC Drivers

Ok to explain the setup :

* One 2 Bay NAS which is on a 169.254.178.6 ip address
    * One 3com gigabit un-managed switch
    * Cat5e network cables ( which connect at gigabit as per the lights on the switch )
    * WinPE 3.0 bootable memory sticks with all the relevant network card drivers injected as per here How To Mount and Inject Drivers into Windows 7 PE 3.0 | Commodore.ca | Windows
    Yet when you logon as local admin onto a few models of Lenovo Desktops we have it shows as having a network card driver from 2009 version 11 for the Marvel Yukon network card ( 7514 and postfix this with A41, A47 or A87 ) basically a few variations of the M58. However this older version of the network card driver will not obtain an ip address at all which must be an issue with the driver or something else other than DHCP as when I put the latest version of network card driver onto a usb memory stick and go through device manager --> update network card driver --> point to the driver on the usb memory stick , it installs and once installed it prompts to select what type of network it is ie Public, Work or Home , click on Work and it obtains an ip address straight away.

My question is this :

Is there something else I have to do to include or merge the drivers into windows or a bat file I can run to make it install the relevant driver onto the pc

The make and model of network card for these machines that are having the above issue(s) are the Marvel Yukon 88E8057

Obviously once updated it shows that the date of the network card driver is 11/02/2012 which is clearly later than 2009.

The drivers are and have been injected into the windows pe bootable memory stick and this is clearly different from the actual windows 7 image which is stored on the NAS. So presumably the drivers that are on the pc are the ones that are or were included with the windows 7 image ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    The drivers are and have been injected into the windows pe bootable memory stick and this is clearly different from the actual windows 7 image which is stored on the NAS.

Correct. The PXE is just the install environment.

So presumably the drivers that are on the pc are the ones that are or were included with the windows 7 image ?
    If you've not updated your Windows 7 image in the same way that you added the new drivers to your PXE environment, then yes, they'll be the drivers from the original image.

3. Thanks to VeryPC_Tom_M from:

mac_shinobi (12th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Tom_M View Post
    Correct. The PXE is just the install environment.

If you've not updated your Windows 7 image in the same way that you added the new drivers to your PXE environment, then yes, they'll be the drivers from the original image.
    So to update the windows 7 image I would have to mount it and inject them the same way as per the article for the windows pe image and commit the changes and then upload this back to the NAS ?

Thank Post
    So to update the windows 7 image I would have to mount it and inject them the same way as per the article for the windows pe image and commit the changes and then upload this back to the NAS ?
    That sounds right!

6. Thanks to VeryPC_Tom_M from:

Thank Post
    injecting drivers into boot.wim using imagex/dism just adds them to the boot portion (so windows pe) if you want to inject drivers into your install media you need to inject them into index # (depends what dvd it is enterprise has just 1 but other disks contain home basic/premium/pro/ult in 1 wim file) with dism as well thats where the installed drivers are located boot.wim is just windows pe install.wim is the full os source files

8. Thanks to sted from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    injecting drivers into boot.wim using imagex/dism just adds them to the boot portion (so windows pe) if you want to inject drivers into your install media you need to inject them into index # (depends what dvd it is enterprise has just 1 but other disks contain home basic/premium/pro/ult in 1 wim file) with dism as well thats where the installed drivers are located boot.wim is just windows pe install.wim is the full os source files
    It is windows 7 enterprise 32 bit - so how would I know which index to inject them into etc ?

Thank Post
    on enterprise its 1 but for completeness

dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:d:\install.wim

lists all indexs in the specified wim file

11. Thanks to sted from:

Thank Post
    thanks everyone , especially @sted for that info

Thank Post
    Hi

Have a look at this.

Add a Device Driver to an Offline Windows PE Image

Richard

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    @mac_shinobi. Not sure if you will find this useful, but you can automate the driver injection with the following script (you may need to amend it slightly to suit your enviroment?).

N.B. An SSD is highly recommended if you plan on adding drivers/packages to a WIM that contains a large number of images (like the non-Enterprise Windows 7 DVD). With a HDD, it will take many hours.

Code:
    @echo off
    SETLOCAL ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION ENABLEEXTENSIONS

SET SCRIPTDIR=%~dp0
    SET SCRIPTDIR=%SCRIPTDIR:~0,-1%
    SET SRCIMG="%SCRIPTDIR%\GRMSXVOL_EN_DVD\sources\install.wim"
    SET MNTDIR="%SCRIPTDIR%\Mount"
    SET DRIVERS="%SCRIPTDIR%\Drivers"

:: Find total number of images in WIM
    FOR /f "tokens=2 delims=: " %%a IN ('dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:%SRCIMG% ^| findstr /e "..[0-9]"') DO (
        SET MAX=%%a
        ECHO Found !MAX! images
    )

:: Create an empty folder for DISM to mount WIM into
    IF EXIST %MNTDIR% (
       RMDIR /S /Q %MNTDIR% && MKDIR %MNTDIR%
    ) ELSE (
       MKDIR %MNTDIR%
    )

:: Integrate drivers into each image
    FOR /l %%a IN (1,1,!max!) DO (
        DISM /Mount-Wim /WimFile:%SRCIMG% /Index:%%a /MountDir:%MNTDIR%
        DISM /Image:%MNTDIR% /Add-Driver /Driver:%DRIVERS% /Recurse
        DISM /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:%MNTDIR% /Commit
    )
    Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    Have a look at this.
    Those instructions are really old. PEImg was from Windows PE 1.0!

DISM is what should be used now - either DISM.exe or the new DISM PowerShell cmdlets from the Windows ADK or Windows 8/Server 2012.

15. Thanks to Arthur from:

mac_shinobi (13th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Took me a few mins to work out the difference as originally I was trying to use something else but obviously would not work as like you say @Arthur they are for version 1.0 of Win PE and then a bit of googling later found the dism commands ( obviously using dism.exe )

Not any good at doing bat files so wouldn't have a clue how to adjust or ammend that script to inject drivers. Would be easier or better if there was a vbscript version of the above as I can make more sense of vbscripts.

Thank Post
    @Arthur or anyone else - am re building the bootable memory stick as it didn't quite work correctly and imaging T430 laptops was slower than it should have been.

I have downloaded 2 or 3 drivers from the intel site as I could not get them from the Lenovo site.

Am I ok to mix the intel drivers with the drivers from the lenovo website or am I better off just using the Lenovo drivers only ?

Keep getting a few errors, think I might have to tidy up the directories so it only includes the NDIS62 drivers I presume ?

Thank Post
    @Arthur or anyone else - am re building the bootable memory stick as it didn't quite work correctly and imaging T430 laptops was slower than it should have been.

I have downloaded 2 or 3 drivers from the intel site as I could not get them from the Lenovo site.

Am I ok to mix the intel drivers with the drivers from the lenovo website or am I better off just using the Lenovo drivers only ?

Keep getting a few errors, think I might have to tidy up the directories so it only includes the NDIS62 drivers I presume ?
    how long is a piece of string?
    usually reference intel drivers work sometimes manufacturers tweak things and they dont
    let me guess the errors are something like driver abc123 says it supportsx64 but it dosent

19. Thanks to sted from:

mac_shinobi (15th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    how long is a piece of string?
    usually reference intel drivers work sometimes manufacturers tweak things and they dont
    let me guess the errors are something like driver abc123 says it supportsx64 but it dosent
    In that case it's operation trial and mostly error, kinda like plug and pray

Thank Post
    Is there anyway to inject or add files into the WIM using the dism command in the same fashion as you use dism to inject drivers ?

Basically got a bat file and an executable that I want as apart of the iso

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast