+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
O/S Deployment Thread, Tasks Slowing Down in Technical; Hi Morgan, Sorry for taking so long to respond, things have been crazy over here. We setup a samba share ...

Thank Post
    Hi Morgan,

Sorry for taking so long to respond, things have been crazy over here. We setup a samba share on the fog server and placed a 4GB file on there. When I downloaded the file to my laptop it took less than a minute. Does that mean the problem is the kernel?

Thanks!

Thank Post
    It implies that there isn't anything bizarre going on with the server, but you should probably re-test using NFS instead of Samba to match what happens during deployment. You can mount an NFS export with something like
    Code:
    mount -o nolock fogserver:/images /mnt/images
    If your laptop runs Windows then you could boot it from a Linux live CD to do the test. Assuming you don't have any speed issues, you can then test the same thing using the FOG kernel and init image by choosing debug from the FOG boot menu and doing a similar mount command. Which version of FOG are you using and are you using the default kernel and default init image? If using FOG 0.32 a lot of people reverted to the init image from the previous release due to performance problems.

Thank Post
    Hi Morgan,

So here's the latest, after changing the kernel when I run tasks on an HP8460 they run fine, the speed drops a bit but picks back up. However when I run tasks on an HP Probook 4420s the task starts at half of the speed and the speed continuously drops throughout the task. Ideas?

Thank Post
    Hi Morgan, While doing some digging I found out that Ubuntu 12.04 isn't very compatible with FOG, could that be the issue?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tubaplayer83 View Post
    Hi Morgan,

So here's the latest, after changing the kernel when I run tasks on an HP8460 they run fine, the speed drops a bit but picks back up. However when I run tasks on an HP Probook 4420s the task starts at half of the speed and the speed continuously drops throughout the task. Ideas?
    Were you running the default kernel and then changing to an alternate one? Which version of FOG are you using? The fact you've changed the kernel and got a speed increase suggest that the problem is client side, but referring to your original post, why would the client side have suddenly changed? Did someone change something?

Quote Originally Posted by tubaplayer83 View Post
    Hi Morgan, While doing some digging I found out that Ubuntu 12.04 isn't very compatible with FOG, could that be the issue?
    I would think the imaging process wouldn't be affected, but the scheduler and multicast services might not be running because FOG init.d scripts for these services wouldn't be valid on Ubuntu 12.04 (I know they don't run on Debian Squeeze without fiddling). I don't think this would affect deployment speed if you could successfully deploy to begin with.

Thank Post
    Hi Morgan,

If I change the init.gz will that effect the images I already have? Also are these instructions correct?

Thank you very much for your help

mv /tftpboot/fog/images/init.gz /tftpboot/fog/images/init.gz.32cd /optwget FOG - A Free Cloning Solution - Browse Files at SourceForge.net xzvf fog_0.29.tar.gz /opt/fog_0.29cp fog_0.29/packages/tftp/fog/images/init.gz /tftpboot/fog/images/

Thank Post
    Yes, if you change the init image it will be used on every client (unlike the kernel which can be specified per computer). Most people only experience a positive change by reverting back to the version 0.29 init image though and the actual hardware support comes from the kernel. The formatting looks a little strange on what you've posted, but it's the right idea. Rename or move the old file, then put the equivalent file from FOG 0.29 in it's place. You probably want to match the file permissions and ownership as well.

Thank Post
    Hi Morgan,

I think I've figured out the issue, when I upload an image of these machines, the image size is 250GB. I have run disk cleanup and deleted the other partitions however the image size is still very large. Is there a step that I'm missing?

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Is it 250GB on the server? The images should be compressed. Check the file sizes on the server:
    Code:
    ls -lh /images
    Also, what type of image is it (in FOG terms)?
    Managing FOG - FOGProject Wiki

Thank Post

More info

I currently am having the same issue with an HP 4545s. The image size is about 250GB for some reason there is no compression. After realizing this i made my partition 22GB and set sysprep to expand the partition after imaging. Even with a 22GB image when i upload it uploads a 250GB image. This is with the partition set to single disk multi partition. If i set it to single disk single partition, it still makes a 250GB partition and the partition format is raw... I am going to try setting up a 10.04 with fog v0.29 to see if it is an issue with fog. I have previously done other machines on 0.29 successfully but my company switched to the 4545s at the same time we updated our fog server. The old machines are offsite so I have no successful machines to compare on the new version of fog.. I'll repost later today to let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by morganw View Post
    Is it 250GB on the server? The images should be compressed. Check the file sizes on the server:
    Code:
    ls -lh /images
    Also, what type of image is it (in FOG terms)?
    Managing FOG - FOGProject Wiki

Thank Post

Semi-Solved

performed the downgrade on our test fog server and amazingly the 4545s is imaging correctly. Not sure what the differences are but we will be loading 10.04 and 0.29 on our main fog server and keep playing with the test one set up as 11.04 and 0.32. I hope downgrading is an option for you

Quote Originally Posted by wlainey View Post
    I currently am having the same issue with an HP 4545s. The image size is about 250GB for some reason there is no compression. After realizing this i made my partition 22GB and set sysprep to expand the partition after imaging. Even with a 22GB image when i upload it uploads a 250GB image. This is with the partition set to single disk multi partition. If i set it to single disk single partition, it still makes a 250GB partition and the partition format is raw... I am going to try setting up a 10.04 with fog v0.29 to see if it is an issue with fog. I have previously done other machines on 0.29 successfully but my company switched to the 4545s at the same time we updated our fog server. The old machines are offsite so I have no successful machines to compare on the new version of fog.. I'll repost later today to let you know.

Thank Post
    On you test server (0.32), try overwriting the init image with the one from 0.29 and see if that fixes it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12