+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, WPKG keeps installing software in Technical; I am playing around with WPKG but am having some difficulty in getting it set up correctly. I set up ...

Thank Post

WPKG keeps installing software

I am playing around with WPKG but am having some difficulty in getting it set up correctly. I set up using the example "dia" software given and it installed fine. I than decided to try and use a different example and tried to test Malwarebytes. Now although it seems to install ok, everytime I reboot the computer it starts to install again. Also, although I've removed the dia software package it is still installed on the client. I've read the forums, but still don't understand how to uninstall a program. Can anyone explain it in simple terms please?

Thank Post
    Can you post your package file?

Thank Post
    OK, I may have been having a bad day. I have tried a different package and it installs fine. I noticed that it veryifies that the software is installed but skips as soon as it finds it.

I have one other thing that I would like to know if it's possible though. We have our start menu group similar programs together so that we have a folder for browsers containing IE, Firefox etc, but if I want to update the version we have it creates a new link on the start menu. Is there anyway you can change that or does it always create the start menu icon in the default location?

Thank Post
    WPKG doesn't do anything specific to icons, that is all down to installer. You can normally change the installer behaviour with regard to icons (i.e. using the ALLUSERS property for MSI based installers), and then just use your own script or command as part of the packages xml definition to do whatever you need to do. I used to run the actual installer for the application first, then run robocopy to copy new icons into place. If you are using a redirected start menu that isn't on the local machine then the problem becomes harder.

5. Thanks to morganw from:

penfold (23rd October 2012)

Thank Post
    The start menu has been created as part of the image, but I wanted to see if I could update the software versions we had (or add more software) but keep the start menu structure the same. So for example if I wanted to add Opera as an alternative browser I want it showing under Start>Browsers>*All Browsers*.

So if I want to copy the icon from Start Menu>Programs to Start Menu>Programs>Browsers> I need to run robocopy at the end of the installation to move the file to the appropriate folder? And the next question is, do need to format the syntax somehow for it to be used in WPKG?

Thank Post
    I used to have a folder structure for the start menu, for each application I would deploy and then copy it over the top of the redirected start menu. Here is an example:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <packages>
    	<package id="audacity"
    		name="Audacity"
    		revision="1"
    		reboot="false"
    		priority="50">

<check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="Audacity 1.2.6" />
    		<install cmd='\\SERVER\WPKG\bin\audacity\audacity-win-1.2.6.exe /SP- /VERYSILENT /NORESTART /MERGETASKS="!desktopicon"' timeout="300" />
    		<install cmd='%COMSPEC% /c xcopy "\\SERVER\WPKG\bin\audacity\lame_enc.dll" "%PROGRAMFILES%\Audacity\" /I /H /Y' timeout="60" />
    		<install cmd='robocopy \\SERVER\WPKG\bin\audacity\icons\ C:\StartMenu\ /E' timeout="60" />
    		<remove cmd='%COMSPEC% /c del "%PROGRAMFILES%\Audacity\lame_enc.dll" /F /Q' timeout="60" />
    		<remove cmd='%COMSPEC% /c del "C:\StartMenu\Programs\Music\Audacity.lnk" /F /Q' timeout="60" />
    		<remove cmd='%PROGRAMFILES%\Audacity\unins000.exe /VERYSILENT' timeout="300" />
    	</package>
    </packages>
    The only thing you have to watch out for with Robocopy is the amount of output it's generating, too much and it will break the package due to a bug in WPKG. So you can either redirect it to a file with /LOG: or redirect all output >NUL.

8. Thanks to morganw from:

penfold (24th October 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread