+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Assigning diferent computer names to machines during deployment using MDT/WDS in Technical; Hi All, I was wondering what the best approach would be to assign multiple machines each with their own unique ...

Thank Post

Assigning diferent computer names to machines during deployment using MDT/WDS

Hi All,

I was wondering what the best approach would be to assign multiple machines each with their own unique computer name during my deployment. I have been given the responsibility to deploy about 100 computers in an environment and needed to assign different computer names to each machine. Currently I have a setup using MDT for the actual deployment and WDS that is used for the PXE boot. Is there a way (preferable without using a PowerShell script) that I can deploy these machines? The reason I say preferably without PowerShell script is because I'm a rookie with scripting. If there is any other way to do this, please let me know!

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

-Mehrdad

Thank Post
    You need to look at the database part of MDT this will suit your needs.

3. Thanks to ChrisH from:

mehrdadi (19th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    You need to look at the database part of MDT this will suit your needs.
    Thanks Chris! Anything in particular that I should be looking for? I'm in the process of downloading SQL 2008 Express on a test machine as we speak.

Thank Post
    I scanned in the ethernet mac barcodes off the laptop/box laptop came in, into a spreadsheet, which had a column for asset tag number, 100-200, and another column for computer name "laptop"&tag, and then a 3rd column which converted mac to wdsutil format: =LEFT(H169,2)&"-"&MID(H169,3,2)&"-"&MID(H169,5,2)&"-"&MID(H169,7,2)

then created a wdsutil command ="wdsutil /add-device /device:"&J169&" /id:"&AE169

copy and paste that column into a bat file, run on server.

Dunno how that would work with MDT

6. Thanks to mavhc from:

Thank Post

Question Finding UUIDs and/or MAC addresses.

Thanks for that!

Since my last post I managed to find a way to import the new computer names (and other variables) using a basic PowerShell script. The MDT database option definitely looks like the way I'd like to go. This however brings up a new question.

MDT gives us the option to deploy images (with certain configurations like OSDComputerName, OrgName, etc.. preconfigured) however part of the process requires us to attach those names to a unique identifier on the new boxes (eg: UUID, MAC address, Asset Tag). My question is, how would I find the UUID or Mac address of those machines with minimal time/effort keeping in mind they are all VM's being build on VMware and Hyper-V platforms...? If I can find a list of all the UUID's or MAC addresses to deploy to, this would make the deployment pretty straightforward. I would prefer to use UUIDs because the MAC address may be Dynamic as per my management team.

The setup I have is as follows: We have 6 new racks each with about 12 new blade servers. We have to deploy images to those blades at first and then deploy images to the VM's that will reside on those blades (we're looking at about 200 machines in total that will require deployment). Thanks for any further help you guys can provide.

As with anything I do, I'm not looking for someone to hand me an answer in full but more so provide me with some direction as to what I can look up and research myself.

-Mehrdad
    Last edited by mehrdadi; 16th October 2012 at 04:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Anyone?

Thank Post
    For the Hyper-V VMs I think you can set your own UUID, so I guess you could just generate them yourself and use Powershell to bulk populate everything. For the physical servers, you could make a really basic Task Sequence that installed Windows and joined the domain using something unique for the hostnames, then retreive all of the UUID values remotely.

Code:
    get-wmiobject Win32_ComputerSystemProduct -computername <COMPUTERNAME> | Select-Object -ExpandProperty UUID
    ...or if you don't want to join the domain for some reason, write a script to get the UUID and then save it somewhere, then run this as an application in the basic Task Sequence.

Then re-deploy with the final Task Sequence once you have imported the UUIDs into MDT.

10. Thanks to morganw from:

Thank Post
    Awesome thank you! I will definitely take a look at generating my own UUID's with Hyper-V VMs. Did not know this was possible but it will make my life so much easier. I will probably get the MAC addresses and/or UUID's for the physical blades so that should be pretty straightforward. Thanks again guys! You've been a big help!

Thank Post
    It sounds like you have your answer now, but here is what I did.

I have my deployment rules set up so that the only questions asked are what image, and hostname.

This works for my environment because we have to handle each computer before imaging anyway.

The database option does sound like the best long term solution for you.

Thank Post
    Like above, I have setup MDT so it only asks for name and task sequence, I think that is as lite as the litetouch can get. Next stage would be SCCM.

Thank Post
    I used to run everything with the database, so just PXE booting with WDS was needed (so just one key press). You can take it further if you are brave.
    ZeroTouch for MDT 2010 without SCCM! | IThastobecool.com

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread