+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, MDT2012 Deployment problem and questions in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

MDT2012 Deployment problem and questions

Hi There

Ok I have setup a Server on Server 2012 & WDS/MDT2012

I have done a new sequence to install Windows 8, nothing else yet, this is to test that it installs the OS correctly. This is an untouched Windows 8 Install, imported from the iso.

Left this overnight to install on a Virtual Machine (Hyper-V 2012), came back to this error.

Operating system deployment did not complete seccessfully.
    Please review the log files to determine the cause of the problem.
    During the deployment process, 8 errors and 0 warnings were reported.

FAILURE ( 9791 ): Unable to find any version of USMT, unable to perform user state migration.
    Lighttouch deployment failed, Return Code = -2147467259 0x80004005
    Failed to run the action Restore User State.
    DNS record does not exist. (Error: 000025E5; Source: Windows)
    The execution of the group (State Restore) has failed and the execution has been aborted. An action failed.
    Operation aborted (Error: 80004004; Source: Windows)
    Failed to run the last action: Restore User Sate. Execution of the task sequence failed.
    DNS record does not exist. (Error: 000025E5; Source: Windows)
    Task Sequence Engine Failed! Code: enExecutionFail
    Take sequence execution failed with error code 80004005
    Error Task Sequence Manager failed to execute task sequence. Code 0x80004005

It is logged into as Administrator and joined on the domain with the correct computer name that I typed in at the start. I wanted it to join the domain, so that's a good start. But why is it logged in as admin?

I would had thought it would have logged onto the user I created on MDT, doesn't matter I suppose, I fact I canít even this this user in Computer Management.
    Another question if this error didnít come up would this of logged of the user? If do I need to add something in MDT to make this do this. Of course we donít want it do that straight away until it configures and install a few programs.

One last question if I set WDS to approve mode so it creates the computer accounts in Active Directory with the correct computer name, is it possible to pass the computer name to MDT? This is what we do at the moment just with WDS, it just finds the correct name because of the extra information WDS adds to the computer name and having %COMPUTERNAME% in the unattended file.

Also here are the settings I put in MDT if thatís any use?

RULES

[Settings]
    Priority=Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    OSInstall=YES
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipApplications=YES
    SkipAppsOnUpgrade=YES
    SkipBDDWelcome=YES
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    SkipCapture=YES
    SkipComputerBackup=YES
    SkipDeploymentType=YES
    DeploymentType=NEWCOMPUTER
    SkipDomainMembership=YES
    JoinDomain=domainname
    DomainAdmin=useraccountname
    DomainAdminDomain= domainname
    DomainAdminPassword=userpassword
    SkipFinalSummary=YES
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    KeyboardLocale=en-GB
    UserLocale=en-GB
    UILanguage=en-US
    SkipPackageDisplay=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipSummary=YES
    SkipTimeZone=YES
    TimeZoneName=GMT Standard Time
    SkipUserData=YES
    EventService=http://WDS:9800

BOOTSRAP.INI

[Settings]
    Priority=Default

[Default]
    DeployRoot=\\servername\DeploymentShare$
    UserID=useraccountname
    UserDomain=domainname
    UserPassword=userpassword

KeyboardLocale=en-GB

SkipBDDWelcome=YES

thanks in advance

Thank Post
    was this mdt 2012 or 2012 update 1 as iirc update 1 is needed for win8 deployment and you might need to install the win 8 aik rather than win7 to get dism etc (educated guesses ive not tried yet)

Thank Post
    Yep got update one installed, infact there is a newer build number now, which I have just installed, but that only adds support for SCCM CU1

Yep also got this installed 'Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) for Windowsģ 8'

Thank Post
    Does it work if you disable the user state migration task in the deployment task sequence?

As for computer naming, you could use the MDT database to set hostnames based on the MAC address of the machine (you could also use the UUID of the machine rather than the MAC address).

Thank Post
    Thanks mate, But I just beat you do, I had a look round the console for a while, spotted that and thought I would give that a try. That's all worked

So just the naming problem left now

How can I set this up to do updates before Windows is finished installing and then after applications are installed for example Microsoft Office updates

Thank Post
    you can enable the default windows update task (before installing applications) to patch windows, then let MDT install Office and either enable the 2nd default windows update task or create a new task to install office updates (edit the task sequence and add a new windows update task). You should then have a fully patched windows/office install that you can capture for deployment to other systems.

Thank Post
    Ok computer naming, kind of sorted now

Ok another question, want to get this one sorted before anything

Is it possible to make groups?

For example

- Staff Computers

- Students Computers

So with having groups can deploy different apps to them, basically I want staff computer to have Interwrite and SmartBoard and VGA Wireless software installed. I can see you add add certain app(s) to a computer if you add the computer to the database and add it through that. And with having group (If there is such a thing) select a default sequence for the group.

I don't want to do this for every computer.

Is there a quick way for example making groups, what ever is added to that group, gets the group settings.

And also is there list a csv feature, so I can bulk import the MAC and Computer Names, to save a lot of time?

Or do I need to look at SCCM 2012?
    Last edited by pritchardavid; 11th October 2012 at 09:00 PM.

Thank Post
    I think the answer to both those is you *can* but that thats what SCCM gives you over MDT. The automation side of SCCM is rather good!

I am still using MDT atm, made a sequence which does all our desktop apps and then one for our staff laptops, kept the image generic as we can still use the CSE toolkit thing to install prism packages which work for most things. Want to look further at SCCM though, it def looks the way to go.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pritchardavid View Post
    basically I want staff computer to have Interwrite and SmartBoard and VGA Wireless software installed. I can see you add add certain app(s) to a computer if you add the computer to the database and add it through that. And with having group (If there is such a thing) select a default sequence for the group.
    The easiest thing would be to create two task sequences, one for student computers, one for staff, and then assign application bundles on the task sequence itself. You can also set values in your customsettings.ini based on dynamic data, so you could change the deployment rules based on decisions made in the deployment UI or based on things like asset tags. It is a little buggy for heavy use though (sometimes requires fiddling in the scripts to force the logic to be correct) and it can get complicated.

If you are using the database and importing MAC addresses and computer names, you could always import the application selections as well, or use the database to select the task sequence that has the correct applications already assigned. There a few scripts you can use to do the import.
    Manipulating the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit database using PowerShell - Michael Niehaus' Windows and Office deployment ramblings - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread