+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
O/S Deployment Thread, So, I'm experimenting with MDT .. in Technical; Any pitfalls I should be aware of? Server is 2008 R2, clients are all Windows 7 SP1 x86. Clients are ...
  1. #1
    soveryapt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,402
    Thank Post
    648
    Thanked 277 Times in 244 Posts
    Rep Power
    78

    So, I'm experimenting with MDT ..

    Any pitfalls I should be aware of? Server is 2008 R2, clients are all Windows 7 SP1 x86. Clients are a mix of desktops and laptops, mainly HP kit though.

  2. #2
    soveryapt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,402
    Thank Post
    648
    Thanked 277 Times in 244 Posts
    Rep Power
    78
    I should point out, I'm also moving from WDS which is set up and working, but I just want a bit more control over it all (which I believe MDT will give me).

  3. #3


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,589
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 856 Times in 735 Posts
    Rep Power
    296
    depends how complex you want to make it. It can be very simple in standard form start adding databases so that mac address 123456789012 =pc02 in ou ..... with this software theese drivers this base image etc it gets more complex.

    Fiddling round with bootstrap.ini and custom setting.ini is where id start i usually have a user set up so that it logs in and has enough privilages to read the share and add workstations to a domain and then hide language/timezone/bitlocker screens etc so normally all i have to do is boot select image slect software and name pc and away i go but have set it up in 1 school where for a few pcs pretty much hit f12 and walk away

  4. Thanks to sted from:

    soveryapt (17th September 2012)

  5. #4
    soveryapt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,402
    Thank Post
    648
    Thanked 277 Times in 244 Posts
    Rep Power
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    depends how complex you want to make it. It can be very simple in standard form start adding databases so that mac address 123456789012 =pc02 in ou ..... with this software theese drivers this base image etc it gets more complex.

    Fiddling round with bootstrap.ini and custom setting.ini is where id start i usually have a user set up so that it logs in and has enough privilages to read the share and add workstations to a domain and then hide language/timezone/bitlocker screens etc so normally all i have to do is boot select image slect software and name pc and away i go but have set it up in 1 school where for a few pcs pretty much hit f12 and walk away
    There are about 3 or 4 different setups needed through the school, but these are mainly differentiated through by WPKG post install procedures and various GPO software the way I do things at the moment, the physical image that goes out is pretty much the same, I'm just wanting to make sure the right drivers get to the right machines, which WDS seems a bit hit and miss with sadly (I have laptops that are running 1024x768 when they should have a graphics driver running 1280x960).

  6. #5


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,589
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 856 Times in 735 Posts
    Rep Power
    296
    generally i add drivers to a folder but let mdt just work out what a pc needs (though if you have any hp6715s's dont (it installs ati drivers on non ati pcs borking up video card drivers))

    as to resolition by default mdt seems to force everything to 1024/768 regardless of what it can do but as i tend to set res via qres everylogon i havnt really looked into this i suspect its just somewhere in my sysprep file
    Last edited by sted; 17th September 2012 at 12:06 PM.

  7. Thanks to sted from:

    soveryapt (17th September 2012)

  8. #6
    soveryapt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,402
    Thank Post
    648
    Thanked 277 Times in 244 Posts
    Rep Power
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    generally i add drivers to a folder but let mdt just work out what a pc needs (though if you have any hp6715s's dont (it installs ati drivers on non ati pcs borking up video card drivers))
    Yeah, I'm just adding in the Drivers from my WDS folder at the moment and also have imported the image that I had setup in there as a starter for 10 ..

    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    as to resolition by default mdt seems to force everything to 1024/768 regardless of what it can do but as i tend to set res via qres everylogon i havnt really looked into this i suspect its just somewhere in my sysprep file
    I thought at first it might have been my SysPrep file, but that's not the case at all, unless is because it's a shared on and the V-Res is too high for the laptops (i.e. it's for the desktop machines which don't have widescreen monitors so I think it's set at 1280x1024 or whatever it is at that res) so that is defaults to something much less .. hmm .. I might check that actually and see what happens if I change it to a different V-Res and redeploy the image .. [/ThinkingWhilstIType]

  9. #7
    VeryPC_Tom_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    388
    Thank Post
    14
    Thanked 82 Times in 79 Posts
    Rep Power
    45
    We tend only to add LAN drivers to the OOBE Drivers box, and then use a SQL Database to determine the hardware profile. This means we can assign specific driver installations to each hardware variation, with the drivers being installed as applications within the software (This also ensures that any software assigned to the hardware is installed alongside the base drivers)

  10. Thanks to VeryPC_Tom_M from:

    soveryapt (17th September 2012)

  11. #8

    garethedmondson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gowerton, Swansea
    Posts
    2,260
    Thank Post
    965
    Thanked 324 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    164
    Best advice I can give (as an MDT 2010/2012) user is to purchase the book which is noted in the sticky at the top of the forum. This got us through setting it up and worked out of the book. It's a great product. Remember also you can download the latest HP drivers through their driver software (we do this).

    Here is the link to the sticky: MDT Resources

    PLenty of blogs and advice out there (see sticky) that are worth reading.

    Regards

    Gareth
    Last edited by garethedmondson; 17th September 2012 at 12:33 PM.

  12. Thanks to garethedmondson from:

    soveryapt (17th September 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. [MDT] Issue with MDT unattand.xml
    By agarabaghi in forum O/S Deployment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22nd June 2012, 02:18 PM
  2. [MDT] Wireless setting with MDT
    By Tricky_Dicky in forum O/S Deployment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 5th January 2011, 10:36 PM
  3. [MDT] Problem with MDT 2010
    By binky in forum O/S Deployment
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 1st April 2010, 10:26 PM
  4. [MDT] Deploying XP with MDT 2010
    By plexer in forum O/S Deployment
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 25th January 2010, 04:23 PM
  5. Experience with RFID anybody?
    By Ben_Stanton in forum General Chat
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 25th April 2007, 09:25 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •