+ Post New Thread
NZ General Chat Thread, UNPLUGGED Office 2010 Event Writeup - Hamilton, NZ in New Zealand (NZ) Specific Forums; I arrived to the Unplugged event about ten minutes late due to a misguided right turn on the road before ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,680 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb UNPLUGGED Office 2010 Event Writeup - Hamilton, NZ

I arrived to the Unplugged event about ten minutes late due to a misguided right turn on the road before the venue which led me several kilometers away to the end of a long queue of traffic which added fifteen minutes to my travel time.

Iíll summarize some of the things that I found interesting which you may or may not know about Office 2010.

First up Office Web Access, this is an online implementation of the Office applications that replicates much of the functionality of the full Office suite in any standards compliant browser using HTML and JavaScript. Although not full featured it does appear to have a large amount of the functionality and the same UI as the desktop version. To get access to it all you need is a Professional or Standard version of Office 2010, your documents and Office Web Apps can be hosted for free on MS Sky Drive with a Windows Live ID or locally inside your own network on a server with either the free SharePoint Foundation server or full SharePoint Server. The sky drive implementation allows for multiple users to access and edit the documents at the same time. SharePoint goes much further with version tracking, searching and other features. A big thing that I will find useful is the fact that you can embed full Office document views into web pages for easy viewing or printing in any modern browser. No more PDF newsletters or forms, given the rights control on Sky drive you should not even need your own SharePoint server to do this. Just a live ID.

The software itself has also, like Windows 7 been written for speed, the minimum requirements were quoted at just 256MB or RAM and a 500MHz CPU on Windows XP SP3 or above. It does apparently use 1.5GB more HD space but I am unsure on this as the Beta was smaller than 2007.

Other big global changes are the ribbon, for one the Office Orb is gone - replaced with the trusty File tab for the less adaptable. The ribbon is also fully per user customizable allowing you create whole new tabs on the ribbon with your own choice of commands. These are all stored in an XML file and are deployable with the initial installation, they may also be deployable with Group Policy but I have not confirmed that yet. A small upwards arrow is now also included on the bottom right hand corner of the ribbon to minimize it. You could minimize it in Office 2007 by double clicking any of the tab names in the ribbon but I like many users had not found this feature.

Backstage and the ribbon are now in all Office applications too, backstage is the new term for the area that allows you to share your document by printing it, saving it, publishing it to SharePoint or your Sky Drive. This area organizes all of these tasks into an easy common UI to simplify these tasks. One feature that I am excited about in this is the print feature and its automatic preview. The print action will bring up a print preview beside your printing options showing you live what the pages will look like. I donít know about others but I have tried many times to get users to check the print preview first so they donít waste paper, this shoves it in their face as a matter of course which is a great improvement.

OneNote, the note taking and organizing program is now included in all editions of Office which is another positive step as it is a very good tool for gathering and processing information. Its tasks also still follow you into Outlook to remind you to follow up on the content.

PowerPoint has quite a few new tricks, the first of which is an entirely rewritten graphics engine based on DirectX9. This means much fancier and smoother transitions and effects, probably even over an RDP connection as RDP now encapsulates some DirectX stuff. This should still run on a PC without a DX9 GPU though as it can be rendered in software so it wonít stop working on older machines. There are new graphics tools like the easy background removal tool which can usually strip out the background of a photo with very little effort; this little trick was picked up out of MS researchís bag of tricks. Thanks to the new graphics engine and the new video features it is now easy to grab a video from somewhere and crop out the beginning or end. You can also apply transforms on the video of shape, color or other enhancements just like you can with images. PowerPoint now also includes a broadcast feature which will turn your slides into an HTML and JavaScript version then upload them to a space on Sky Drive giving you a link in return. You can send this link to you participants and as you progress through the slides on your PC they progress on the participants PCs to. This feature does not include all of the flash transitions because of the lack of the DX9 engine the web solution and will not transport your voice across but is still quite cool.

SharePoint Workspace is the renamed and upspecíed version of the old Groove collaboration tool. It is like an offline files feature for your SharePoint server allowing you to check out and work on documents then sync them back. This uses intelligent file management and tracking so that only changes are synced, very important if you are working remotely and change two words in a 500MB PowerPoint stack. This can be controlled by group policy and configured to work in a peer to peer fashion like Groove also.

Outlook has been much improved, behind the scenes and in front. It now supports up to ten Exchange Server accounts in a single MAPI profile allowing you to have Outlook connecting to different schools Exchange Servers if you deal with more than one site. The nickname cache (.nk2 files) feature where Outlook remembers all addresses that you typed in the ďtoĒ box is now server side meaning no more complaining users (about this fault) when their profiles have to be reset. As itís on the server it follows you between clients and even to webmail. The favorites have also gotten the same treatment allowing for the same experience. Quicksteps are another new feature, kind of like macros for Outlook allowing you to complete a string of common tasks with a single click, one of the built in ones are reply and delete but you can customize and add more to suite your work flow.

Outlook Social Connector is an extension that is built in to Office 2010 but is downloadable for 2007 and 2003. Personally I donít think that the name does it justice as it is more of a compiler of information. By default it will show you all previous emails from the contact in question and pull personal information on the contact from your local SharePoint if it exists. The big feature for me is that is also shows you in a list all of the attachments that you have received from the user and allows you to go right to them something which has eaten far too much of my time in the past. There is a plug-in for LinkedIn which will grab details from there too but this is about as close as it gets to the Social aspect of its name.

Excel has seen a large amount of performance tuning allowing truly huge datasets, massive with the 64bit version and access to even more ram. One of the demos was a comparison of the graphing engines when faced with a huge dataset (hundreds of thousands of rows I think). Office 2003 rendered it but took several seconds and the redraws were slow and jerky, Office 2007 crashed like a champ after about ten seconds and 2010 rendered it in less than a second with very quick redraws. It could even resize it smoothly.

Are there file format changes between 2007 and 2010? Yes but these are minor between Office 2007 SP2 and 2010, they should still open fine.

Will there be an Office 2010 Compatibility Pack for Office 2003? Possibly.

What about security warning dialogue boxes? Outlook now runs automatically in sandboxed mode allowing the user to see a non active version of the document without a warning, they will only be prompted to enable the document if they open it and want macros. This can be turned off in group policy.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 10th March 2010 at 08:29 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,680 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What about viruses in the older binary doc type files? Office 2010 has been written to validate the file structure of older binary files before opening them reducing them as a virus vector; this validator is updatable in future.

Should I install the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Office 2010? This one caused a bit of a debate, the current advice from Microsoft is to use the 32-bit one even on 64-bit systems to make for the easiest possible migration. Add-ons and some macros are apparently sensitive to the office system architecture so will not work under the 64-bit version. If you use add-ons and macros but check that they work beforehand you should be fine with the 64-bit version however there are few benefits at this stage.

What is the benefit of running the 64-bit version? Better ability to use large amounts of memory, especially useful when dealing with huge Excel sheets or massive documents.

Office Mobile 2010 will also be released shortly and includes more capable apps allowing for the opening and editing of fully featured documents without degradation of the advanced features. There is also a version of SharePoint Workspace for mobile allowing tighter integration with your SharePoint services; it can also sync using advanced methods through Forefront UAG. Office Mobile includes the ability to do basic editing of PowerPoint documents is touch friendly and has a cross application clipboard. The beta should be up on the Windows Mobile Marketplace now and the full version will also be available for Nokia E series phones. The price is not known at this point, the current one (2007) sells for NZD$52 at the moment but there have been rumors that it could be free.

Other cool stuff included even more manageability via group policy and full support for App-V deployment.

We covered quite a lot of ground in the presentation that lasted only about four hours but was very informative and answered a lot of questions about Office 2010 for me and hopefully the reader. I have included a link to the presenters blog below which should include the slides in the near future.

http://blogs.technet.com/nmercer/
    Thanks to the presenter Nathan for a very informative session.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 10th March 2010 at 08:27 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Are there file format changes between 2007 and 2010? Yes but these are minor between Office 2007 SP2 and 2010, they should still open fine.
    A notable exception here is OneNote: files saved in the OneNote 2010 format cannot be used by OneNote 2007 (source)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread