+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
NZ General Chat Thread, New New Zealand Edugeek Users - Introduce yourself here :) in New Zealand (NZ) Specific Forums; Welcome Tedotcom, I hope that you find the forum useful and post often...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 2,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Tedotcom, I hope that you find the forum useful and post often

Thank Post
    Update: Am now Network Manager for a fairly big high school in Dunedin. Made the move back into full time working in a school earlier this month and enjoying the 'challenge' so far. Am really keen to be part of a really strong forum for NZ SysAdmins/Technicians/Co-ordinators on here so hope that we can grow our regional forum into a serious NZ group

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser View Post
    Update: Am now Network Manager for a fairly big high school in Dunedin. Made the move back into full time working in a school earlier this month and enjoying the 'challenge' so far. Am really keen to be part of a really strong forum for NZ SysAdmins/Technicians/Co-ordinators on here so hope that we can grow our regional forum into a serious NZ group
    Congratulations on your new role, and good to have another person onboard fo a strong NZ component to the forum

Thank Post
    Hi Everyone,

I work in Christchurch for doing systems integration work and supporting a number of schools. Fun sites include PC School on Citrix in an all Mac environment. I do a lot of Windows Server, EBS, SBS, Blade, SAN and virtualisation work. More info on my blog:

Steve Knutson’s IT Blog

Pretty interesting forums here. I look forward to participating.

cheers
    Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Welcome. And nice blog BTW

6. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

onehundredwatt (6th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    Welcome Steve,

Interesting Blog BTW ;-)

8. Thanks to bossman from:

onehundredwatt (6th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks guys. The blog is a bit of an outlet and something to keep me occupied why the other half watches desperate house wives :-)

Thank Post

Re: New New Zealand Edugeek Users - Introduce yourself here :)

Quote Originally Posted by onehundredwatt View Post
    Thanks guys. The blog is a bit of an outlet and something to keep me occupied why the other half watches desperate house wives :-)
    Excellent Blog Steve. I have been thinking of doing the same thing but I might just read yours instead I laughed out loud when I read the part about you holding back from helping the hapless laptop user in Samoa, it happens all the time doesn't it? Last night a real "know it all" friend of a friend starting going on about how his laptop webcam wasn't working and he needed to do a virus scan to fix it, and if that didn't work he was going to fix his "register" and maybe even install Server 2008 as his OS instead, because (didn't I know....) it was much better than Windows XP... I was tempted to either offer to fix his laptop, or to drive over it with my landrover, but I just turned, walked away and grinned to myself....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Welcome all..

Russ

Thank Post

Kia ora

Greetings all. I'm a "web guy" at a Uni in NZ working in a small team focused on supporting and enhancing eLearning tools and practice. Spotted a mention of this site in a moodle.org forum recently and liked what I saw in posts here so thought I should sign up. Interested to see how many kiwis are participating here, and looking forward to meeting some new faces, or should I say avatars. (BTW, seems like noone uses their real name here???)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deeknow View Post
    Greetings all. I'm a "web guy" at a Uni in NZ working in a small team focused on supporting and enhancing eLearning tools and practice. Spotted a mention of this site in a moodle.org forum recently and liked what I saw in posts here so thought I should sign up. Interested to see how many kiwis are participating here, and looking forward to meeting some new faces, or should I say avatars. (BTW, seems like noone uses their real name here???)

Hi and welcome to edugeek!

There are a few here that use their real names, but many prefer to protect themselves a little... it's too easy to get yourself into trouble when discussing issues at work (especially 'behind the red door'!) These are, after all, public forums.

It all makes for fun when we go to conferences with real names on our badges and end up having to introduce yourself by your posting name so people knew who you were.

Thank Post
    Me too! I'm up at JMC, been here 8 years, where are you? Maybe it was you who left a message on my phone a wee while back, never got back to you if it was, sorry! I'll post more of a blurb later.. gotta go.. CJK

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to the forum doofusdog, good to have you here

Thank Post

Smile

OK so I'm the Computer Tech, Network Admin, Photocopier Refiller, Laptop Antiviruser at John McGlashan College here in Dunedin.

We run mostly XP and are moving into Windows 7 quite quickly. We're a TELA school too and have ~35 of those and a pile of exlease ones too. We have a lot of wireless about and it's getting a bit creaky. Servers are Windows 2003 and starting with some 2008. We also run a bit of Ubuntu on servers too. We're using SchoolZone for email, internet and video conferencing. We have an Exchange server but it's not quite live yet. We're using VMWare server for some things too and we also run Access-IT new this year, and KnowledgeNet seems to be the big push at the moment... also using Clickview and ABTutor...

I love my job for its randomness and variety but it can also drive me a little crazy.. I love to try and convince the yr7 kids that I'm really very scary.. but they never seem to believe me..

that's it
    doofusdog..

Thank Post
    ...at a Uni in NZ...
    Mooloo olay olay olay!

Interested to see how many kiwis are participating here
    +1 here, although no longer in NZ.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast