+ Post New Thread
Northants ICT Swap Shop Thread, Signup requests or help in Swap Shops; Please post any problems, questions or mailing list signup requests in here. Again, please do not provide any contact details ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 804 Posts
    Blog Entries

Signup requests or help

Please post any problems, questions or mailing list signup requests in here. Again, please do not provide any contact details directly in this thread.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 22nd June 2011 at 04:09 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 804 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Data Protection - Disposal or Recycling of Data Bearing Devices

This is quite a biggy, obviously most people would think twice about sending a PC over to someone else without taking care of the contents of the hard drive. This may not be too important if it's a network station from a curriculum system, but please bear in mind that profiles will often still be stored locally - including desktops, documents, favourites etc.
    Obviously ex admin stations are going to be the ones to watch out for, but generally it's good practice to be just as vigilant with anything that can carry data.

So, before giving away a PC, hard drive, memory sticks etc, please ensure you go to reasonable lengths to make sure the contents are not available for anyone to see. There are plenty of software tools available to do this to a high standard - a popular and free one is Dban, available at Darik's Boot And Nuke | Hard Drive Disk Wipe and Data Clearing
    I would personally strongly suggest that anything that had administrative or financial data on, you physically remove the hard drives and physically destroy them. There are also companies that use software such as Blancco to securely data destruct the drives whilst keeping them useable, and can provide certification of that should something go wrong.

All in all, please be very careful of what is sent away. I'm sure we are all very trustable people but you must make sure you cover your own backs.

WEEE REGULATORY ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT DISPOSAL

I'm sure most of us are aware of the WEEE regulations; or at least the crux of it- if it's electronic equipment, you can't just lob it in the bin or skip. Likewise, you can't just take school equipment and dump it at the local tip.
    Please take reasonable measures to ensure equipment is disposed of correctly - your LEA will happily provide information on this. However, I don't want to be teaching anyone how to suck eggs.

WEEE does not apply for items you are giving away for re-use. You are not obliged to provide a record of destruction as opposed to disposed items, however I think it would be good practice if there is a bit of a paper trail but will leave this at your discretion; perhaps just a little note to say "Received with thanks: 30 USB cables" with your signature on paper for the schools records will help.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread