OMG, Xorg and Trident Video = 4hours of wasted time
Right, I got a hold of an old laptop and decided that I would give Ubuntu (8.10) another go, being as it was four releases since the last time I put myself through the misery of setting it up. It is very impressive at grabbing drivers for most things but when it can't find one it is difficult. This particular laptop installed fine with the sole issue of the screen which was jammed at 800x600 which is rather limiting. Long story short after four hours of research and restarting X I found the solution buried on the internet. Two lines of text and a three key combination were all it took in the end to fix it which I will post here as well in the hopes that it can help anyone else that may become afflicted with this:
This ended up being a simple solution which worked really well but a totally massive mission to find. The last time I had to edit a text file to reset resolution was in Windows 3.1 saying that though I'm sure that I would have needed drivers and tweaks to get it all going with XP but it would not have required looking through several hundred lines of logs. Anyhow, it is now installed and functioning so I can continue on my learning curve and hopefully climb my way up the shear face of config files until I have at least a functional level of skill in Ubuntu just in case I ever have to use it for anything more substantial than a free OS for a browser.
Originally Posted by Nate Chrysler
I hope I don't get flamed to badly by all of the Linux gurus for how long it took me to get it all going :)