User provision script
Every year I'm approached to provide web space for our sixth form students undertaking a website development unit, and every year I seem to think of another way to do it.
So, this year my intention is to use a VPS under Debian64 running Debian again and to re-write my provision script which does the following:
a) Reads from supplied CSV for information (username,password,doe)
1) Creates unix account and sets shell to customised ftp only shell.
2) Creates mysql database and assigns correct permissions to user
3) Creates a sub dir of their homedir www and logs
4) Creates a new vhost.<unixname>.conf for Apache including redirection of logfiles to the homedir/logs directory. - Reloads Apache.
5) I used to have it rewrite the bind zonefile but there's little point if I just use wildcarded dns in the format unixname.students.domain.org.
Does anyone else have any ideas what one could include in this script, or alternatively, does anybody have a use for it and I'll post it?
PS. I did consider the webdav route picking up from their individual home directories but wondered whether this was making it too easy for them as part of the course dictates the use of an sFTP/FTP client to upload the files etc.
can you do this with autocreated samba homedrives on an AD integrated server and use mod_userdir ?
I can't see why not to be honest, I shall have a look.