+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, [GNOME] Pre-Release Version Of GNOME 3.6 Adds Active Directory Support in Technical; Link: Pre-release version of GNOME 3.6 adds Active Directory support - The H Open: News and Features...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 814 Posts
    Blog Entries

[GNOME] Pre-Release Version Of GNOME 3.6 Adds Active Directory Support

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looks like Mac OS X

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Looks like Mac OS X
    Didn't you know? Everything (somehow) looks like OSX.

On topic - I assume this feature is Likewise based? Very nice addition indeed. I wonder if Unity (being it has some Gnome roots) would get this feature as well.

Thank Post
    Good sign showing decent integration is in the offing unlike a certain cupertino based computer company, all it needs to develop now is decent dual monitor support for gnome/x server and im sold, (had massive issues getting it right for about three different distros at home here, spent about 20 hours total on help/support forums)

Richard

Thank Post
    I have to say if Microsoft continue down the route they are going with Windows 8 in future versions, then it's going to start getting tempting to look at Linux on the desktop and something like this will just make that move more tempting

Thank Post
    I installed Linux on my main PC and laptop in the house a while back, after an initial period of adjustment (same when I was using a mac for a while) it all went well I thought (I now have an issue with dual monitors thats frustrating me a little), but fair play to linux, it installs flawlessly alongside existing OS like win7 making trialling it far easier.

It has quirks which take a bit of getting used to, simple things in windows can be a little drawn out, like when I had to setup a VPN, that took a good while of forum reading to get the jist of it, but its well worth it.

I think Windows 8 should be renamed Vista 2 the way its going, it seems more destined to be that sort of OS in being unloved and uninspired from what I have seen so far for me.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would LOVE to get my Linux clients here (Ubuntu 12) to be integrated onto the AD Domain!!!!!!!!! I've been trying a long time to get it working......

Thank Post
    We're in the process of porting our student systems (several thousand) to Ubuntu Linux. Our elementary does not use AD integration, however middle school and high school do. We use Likewise (which was bought by another company and possibly under a different name now, but still works the same) to bind them to the domain which gives them the abiity to log in as their MS AD name. We joined them to the domain via terminal, using a command something to the degree of (pulling this from memory weeks ago)

sudo domainjoin-cli join DOMAINHERE.NET domain-admin-name-you're-authenticating-as-to-join

On the note of supporting Ubuntu full time, as long as you have the supported software you need, there's little attraction to stay with Microsoft or OSX. Gimp 2.8 has plugged some SERIOUS gaps and is an incredible program versus Photoshop. Lots of alternatives for others exist as well. Libre Office has been solid and has a great following. Really the big thing lacking as of now is games, but even that may be changing as Steam's lead developer/owner/CEO/whoever the top dog over there is actually (personally) working on porting the Steam client... along with one of their popular engines, which would bring multiple games to Linux. That said, most business/office environments don't need games, so that may be a moot point for most on these boards. :P

On my personal systems, I made the switch in 2006 - haven't looked back yet.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread