+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
*nix Thread, Linux - IE in Technical; Any old 98 licences kicking about??? (although getting media is a pain)...

Thank Post
    Any old 98 licences kicking about??? (although getting media is a pain)

Thank Post
    nah got no old boxes around here - ill figure something i just wish IE would work on ubuntu.

Currently trying playonlinux....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,697 Times in 2,287 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is why I suggested VLC as it bypasses the dirty browser plugins all together and just reads the media stream directly. It is usually more reliable and uses less bandwidth. Once you know where to connect it to you can open the streams in individual windows even from a command line as VLC will take connection parrameters from there.

Thank Post
    tried VLC it didnt do anything!!

Great idea though!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    tried VLC it didnt do anything!!

Great idea though!
    Where did you point it to? you need to point it to the output stream itself. Some cammeras offer this as a file like http://webcam/video/video.cgi or http://webcam/output.mjpeg

To find out where you would look in the web page source to see if it specifies it anywhere and if not put wireshark on the machine and look at what files/url the page plugin is accessing. You can then use the open media network option to enter this url and just grab the stream.

Here is a good page:
    Streaming IP camera in VLC player (the easy way) - Austech

that brand is not included but it gives you some to try and some idea as to what to look for with wireshark.

Thank Post
    Are teh CAMS IP cams connected to a DVR or Coax Cams Connected to a DVR..

If it's the former, you could look ast using ZoneMinder as the DVR.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This also has lots of information and automation advice for VLC:
    Dahua RTSP Stream - BahamasSecurity.com - CCTV, Software, VB6, VBScripts

Come to think of it are they IP cameras or standard units on an IP enabled DVR. Either way you should still be able to grab the streams. If it is a DVR the make and model may make a search easier for anyone who has done it before.

Thank Post
    they are IP cams i tried Zoneminder but it didnt pick the cams up - We use a DVR. The DVR is for example at IP: 10.1.1.30 so I pointed VLC at that IP - this is also what Wireshark shows me when IM connected to the DVR looking at the cams on screen.

Damn thing lol!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Using IE implicitly consumes a license as it's part of the OS.

Are you sure the cameras can't work with Zoneminder? It can cope with most things.

Thank Post
    yes but it comes with Wine in Ubuntu.....

Thank Post
    IE 'comes with wine in ubuntu'? I dunno what version of Ubuntu you're using but it can't be an official release if your wine package includes IE as I'm sure MS wouldn't be too pleased with that!

I've not tried IE under wine but appdb says that IE6 is about the only one that runs in any kind of semi-usable way, which is kinda sad/strange when Office (2007 at least) and Photoshop work so well under wine these days.

However, there does seem to be a FF ActiveX plugin although I've not tried it:

Esker Software

We have some Axis IP cameras and I have successfully recorded its raw stream to HD with vlc under Linux like so:

cvlc rtsp://userassword@192.168.111.111/axis-media/media.amp :sout='#std{access=file,mux=ts,dst=/home/dan/Videos/test.avi}'

I'd expect that command would only be sure to work for Axis cameras and of course you'd need to replace user and password and the dummy IP address/ output path

EDIT

Thats how you'd record from the terminal but if you just wanted to view an Axis IP camera under VLC you would use VLC's open network stream feature, select RTSP and then enter the

rtsp://userassword@192.168.111.111/axis-media/media.amp

Bit. As before, that says 'user : password' but without any spaces if the forum is parsing the : and p together as a smiley again!
    Last edited by danboid; 30th June 2012 at 10:34 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danboid View Post
    As before, that says 'user : password' but without any spaces if the forum is parsing the : and p together as a smiley again!
    ...or just use the CODE tags!

Code:
    cvlc rtsp://user:password@192.168.111.111/axis-media/media.amp :sout='#std{access=file,mux=ts,dst=/home/dan/Videos/test.avi}'
    Code:
    rtsp://user:password@192.168.111.111/axis-media/media.amp

Thank Post
    I run CCTV on my personal property at home. I use software known as "Motion" on my Linux server (even made a YouTube guide for it that you can find here. I've been down the ZoneMinder road... I love that software so much... but frequently with my 1 mpx outdoor CCTV network based camera, I would come home to find ZM had lost connection to it and populated thousands of errors in the error log. It began happening frequently enough that I decided to find alternatives, especially since I wanted my CCTV software to be a bit more reliable. Motion was the winning ticket. The nice thing about ZoneMinder is you can tailor it so much... but with a home renovation and a wedding coming up, I cared more about getting drywall done than playing games with software... since Motion worked beautifully for me, I haven't looked back. Despite it not having a GUI for setting it up, it's config file is rather easy to use. Plus config files make for easy backups of my settings, which is a total win for me.

Getting more on topic, hate to drop the bomb here since you already have a CCTV setup, but when I was searching for CCTV cameras/software/etc., if the platform supported IE only, I immediately looked elsewhere. If the manufacturer was not competent enough to support other far more popular browsers, then I wasn't going to bother with them. That being said, by buying just the cameras (no DVR or NVR) and using Motion on my server, I circumvented that entire situation all together. While Motion does not have a GUI for setting things up, it does have a "webcam server" to allow you to go to the IP address of the camera and view the feed right in a web browser.

IE in Linux is going to be a tough break. Last I heard, IE6 is the last one that is supported in Linux through Wine. I hear there are IE-esque plugins available for Firefox and Chrome that mimic IE's operation, but I'm not sure how well they work. Likewise, I agree, VLC (and Totem) are solid options as they support live streams. That's actually how I check my cameras... I have an LCD monitor hooked into my server, which is right next to my desktop system... so when I'm on my desktop, I turn the server monitor on and right there is Totem which I leave running @ fullscreen with my backdoor camera feed. It makes it nice because I'm often downstairs in the office area with the music ramped up, and seeing the back door allows me to see if anybody comes by to visit when I don't hear the door bell. The only thing I'm trying to figure out is how I can get a "tiled" setup to be viewing multiple streams within VLC or Totem, such as this image:
    1823805_hikvision1-1.jpg

The streams in particular are going to depend on exactly what you're capturing. My camera supports 3 streams... H264, MPEG4, and MJPG. Because of that, I have to make sure I know which stream is doing what. Within my camera interface I can select the streams accordingly, so I can say:

stream1 = 1280x800, 30fps, H264
    stream2 = 1280x800, 30fps, MPEG4
    stream3 = 640x480, 15fps, MPEG4

etc... It also tells me within the interface that I am to use the "live1.sdp" extension on the URL, with the number refering to the stream preset as I said above. So if my IP is 192.168.1.10, and I want to view stream 2 in VLC:

rtsp://192.168.1.10/live2.sdp

and I'd see it accordingly. If I had a username/password on the camera, VLC/Totem comes up first asking for it, then I see the feed. You can also utilize the MJPG stream, which is motion JPG... meaning a series of JPG pictures snapped consistently to create the video feed... If I understand correctly, MJPG is one of the simplest and most supported ways to capture video feed. No ridiculous patents or licensing or whatever it is that H264 is riddled with. In the case of the MJPG URL, I believe for me it is something like:

http://192.168.1.10/video4.mjpg

(as I understand, H264/MPEG4 = rtsp, while MJPG = http... could be wrong though, but if I recall, I think that's what I used)

The key is, these streams will be different from one camera to another, to another, to another, etc. You may need to do some digging in the user manual (if you don't have it, see if you can find a PDF version online... that's how I lucked out), or worst case scenario, give the company a call and ask. Either way, VLC/Totem should do the trick fine for viewing feeds. It's just the URL that sounds like the tricky part.

Fun FYI - One thing I love about network cameras is I can forward them through my router, so within IP Cam Viewer on my Android phone (not sure what apps [if any] exist for iPhone) I can save my cameras within the app. That way I can look on my phone to see if my puppy has destroyed another pillow, basket, or any other random object he can sink his teeth into.
    Last edited by JaSauders; 10th July 2012 at 04:08 PM.

Thank Post
    Ill explain how the cctv here works... It's an IP Camera system made by QVIS. The cameras are plugged into the QVIS. We access the web interface to view the cameras for example we go to http://192.168.1.1 then the web interface asks for a login. Once logged in we are presented with the 8 Camera screens. The address in the address bar doesn't change, it stays as the IP. If you visit the web interface for the first time you are asked to install the Active X content - then switch to compatibility mode to view the web interface. I've looked in the settings on the box itself and on the web interface and I can find no information on how about accessing the cameras from anything but the web interface.

As daft as this sounds the QVIS box is built on Linux, but it seems you cant use anything but Internet Explorer to view the Cameras in the Web Interface.

Thank Post
    Are the cameras connected to the box with regular BNC connections, and then the actual DVR itself has an ethernet port (and therefore an IP address) for you to access? Or are the cameras true network based cameras where they draw their own IP addresses via DHCP and then the box is configured for those cameras addresses specifically?

If the cameras are BNC based, but the box is network based, I'm not sure how you can draw the stream. If they are network based, I would think SOMEHOW you should be able to. My cameras are true network cameras (Vivotek) and are even POE based, but I had to dig in the manual to find the exact URL's to use... and even that took me a degree of patience and reading I didn't know I had.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast