+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Karoshi/The Linux Schools Project - Version 8 Released. in Technical; Karoshi/The Linux Schools Project - Version 8 Released. What is it? The Linux Schools Project provides an operating system that ...
    Thank Post

Karoshi/The Linux Schools Project - Version 8 Released.

Karoshi/The Linux Schools Project - Version 8 Released.

What is it?

The Linux Schools Project provides an operating system that installs a server or set of
    servers based on your school needs, some of the roles available are: PDC, File,
    Print, Web and Proxy.

Once the server role has been chosen, the services required are automatically
    configured for a school setting, some of the services pre-configured are Samba, LDAP, Apache, Moodle, Cups, MySQL.

The servers are maintained via a web interface that allows easy to use and remote administration of your network and provides access to the functions of day to day jobs like creating users or changing user passwords.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a week's worth of testing the new Karoshi server version is finally ready.

This version updates from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS for the base OS, updates all the software e.g Moodle, OCS Inventory, CAS, SquirrelMail, eGroupware etc to the latest versions, and has all the bug fixes, features and suggestions sent to us from our users and testers.

It can be downloaded from here: Linux Schools - Server OS

As I have requested before, even if you are not interested in using the system we would be very grateful for anyone with a few spare moments to set-up a virtual machine and give it a play, and just contact us with any changes or suggestions.

Thanks everyone,

Jo

2. 3 Thanks to linuxgirlie:

BKGarry (11th June 2012), GrumbleDook (11th June 2012), jinnantonnixx (11th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Congratulations on another successful release Jo.

I will aim to provide some feedback soon.

4. Thanks to kmount from:

linuxgirlie (11th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Had a quick go installing this under Xenserver 6 and it stops in initramfs with an error message about "no live file system found". Am already trying the system on a standalone test server for my school and this all works fine. Wouldn't class myself as an expert on virtualisation but have sucessfully installed and used a numer of other systems as vms on xenserver. If you want more info let me know.

Rob

Thank Post
    Are any Schools using Karoshi Server 8 with Windows 7 clients. I've been having some problems getting the Kix security scripts to run in my installation. These scripts setup various registry values in HKLM and HKCU - the ones in HKCU fail with a permissions error. This means the machine is not locked down properly for students.

I have a temporary workaround by setting the registry values directly in the server profile so the script is not needed. Not quite as flexible but it works.

Just wanted some feedback on whether my installation is broken or there is an issue with Karoshi and Windows 7. I have used XP clients with my system and these don't suffer with this issue.

Rob, Melton Primary

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread