+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
*nix Thread, Samba/Winbind wbinfo -a won't authenticate normal users? in Technical; I know this sounds silly... but what isnt working so far? When I setup ubuntu/ntlm/squid etc I did the wbinfo ...

Thank Post
    I know this sounds silly... but what isnt working so far?

When I setup ubuntu/ntlm/squid etc I did the wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g and it showed that it could read the AD info.

I never tried wbinfo -a - and just tried it with my username and it fails on Wrong Password (not that it asks for one)

Have you tried just going on further with your setup on the basis that winbind is actually talking with your AD?

Thank Post
    Looking at google posts have you tried this....

I fixed this problem by running this command...

net rpc join -U Administrator

Before that, I was using "net join -S PDC -U Administrator", which seemed
    to work, but didn't.

Can someone please tell me why this worked to begin with? I'm not sure
    what the difference is.
    I think thats the bit that joins your linux box to the domain

Thank Post
    Oh man you guys have been so busy - cheers so much for the posts. Lots to try!

I'll get experimenting and get back, been off-task a bit today.

Really really grateful for the help.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscbrah View Post
    I'll get experimenting and get back, been off-task a bit today.
    If it's any help, joining a Debian Squeeze machine to a Windows domain definatly works as I've just done it - I can log in via SSH with my Active Directory account details and everything. Depending on what, exactly, you're trying to set up and what data is on the server already, you could always start again from scratch with Debian. I've been following my own notes I made in this post:

Configuring Samba

If you're just trying to set up a file server then FreeNAS seems to be excellent - FreeBSD based, uses ZFS for a filesystem, seems to integrate well with Windows (joins domains, does file permissions, even supports shadow copies to restore prvious version of files).

Thank Post
    Cheers so much everyone, been a great help having you all to ask!

Unfortunately, this is just too hard now and I've spent a week just getting nowhere with it. And to be honest, it's not teaching me anything it's just mystery after confusing mystery.

Time to ditch this horrible horrible thing! Got permission to use another Windows server so getting back to what I know and moving things forward.

If I get chance in the summer though I'll re-visit this, and hyats off to ANYONE who's actually got this awful awful thing working ever anywhere! It's been hellish! Enough's enough though, gotta call it a day.

Thank you all loads though, renewed my faith a little and I'm sure next time I'll crack it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Done it many many times. I have found distro specific issues though have confounded me in the past. So once I find one that works as expected I stick to it (I was using Ubuntu LTS last time I did this sort of integration).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I know it is a bit late now, I post for others reading the thread. I've been getting an ITSuite of machines ready. I install all the OS and packages via PXE boot and set this at the same time using a kickstart profile:

Code:
    authconfig --enablewinbind --enablewinbindauth --smbsecurity ads  --enablewinbindoffline --smbservers=domaincontroller.college.internal --smbworkgroup=CURRIC --smbrealm SCHOOL.COLLEGE.INTERNAL --winbindtemplatehomedir=/home/CURRIC/%U --enablekrb5  --krb5realm=SCHOOL.COLLEGE.INTERNAL --enablekrb5kdcdns --enablekrb5realmdns --enablelocauthorize --enablemkhomedir --enablepamaccess --updateall --enablewinbindusedefaultdomain --winbindtemplateshell=/bin/sh --update
    After first boot you just need to join the domain, then everyone can log into the workstation using the AD username/Password.

8. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

dhicks (11th June 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234