+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
*nix Thread, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin) Released in Technical; I was running it from beta 2, upgrade to final was completely seamless. I'm not so much a fan of ...
    Thank Post
    I was running it from beta 2, upgrade to final was completely seamless.

I'm not so much a fan of unity though I love Gnome shell with the default Gnome theme. It's really refreshing and the little things make it for me.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    OK I've installed 12.04 on to my new HDD in a dual boot configuration and its eemed to go smoother then past encounters. I even found a nifty little game called Warzone 2100 in the repository.

Still a few oddities though, Last.fm won't play ball with Rythmbox for example, but this release does seem a bit more polished.

Thank Post
    As somebody who participated in the extremely early testing stages of Gnome Shell, I'll be the first to say I absolutely loved Gnome Shell. It's an incredibly intuitive interface. Once I got used to it, I was hooked. When Ubuntu 11.04 came out, I gave Unity a solid shot, just as I had done with Gnome Shell early on. 11.04's rendition of Unity sent me into a borderline homicidal rage, so I stayed away from it. 11.10's variant was better, but far from a home run.

12.04's edition of Unity has not only improved itself, but it's actually surpassed the shortcomings Gnome Shell had all along, such as the incredibly terrible printer manager, network manager interface, and certain apps not getting called to attention in the notification bar as they should have.

Don't get me wrong, Gnome Shell is pretty great to use. 12.04's Unity has not only evolved into a very awesome desktop environment, but it actually claimed the spot as my preferred desktop environment. One year ago, I never would have thought...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JaSauders View Post
    As somebody who participated in the extremely early testing stages of Gnome Shell, I'll be the first to say I absolutely loved Gnome Shell. It's an incredibly intuitive interface. Once I got used to it, I was hooked. When Ubuntu 11.04 came out, I gave Unity a solid shot, just as I had done with Gnome Shell early on. 11.04's rendition of Unity sent me into a borderline homicidal rage, so I stayed away from it. 11.10's variant was better, but far from a home run.

12.04's edition of Unity has not only improved itself, but it's actually surpassed the shortcomings Gnome Shell had all along, such as the incredibly terrible printer manager, network manager interface, and certain apps not getting called to attention in the notification bar as they should have.

Don't get me wrong, Gnome Shell is pretty great to use. 12.04's Unity has not only evolved into a very awesome desktop environment, but it actually claimed the spot as my preferred desktop environment. One year ago, I never would have thought...
    I violently agree.

When I first used Unity I didn't like it, I didn't understand it, I wanted my old menus back. I persevered and flicked between Gnome shell and Unity, getting more comfortable with the idea of 'no menus', and settled it by timing myself to do common tasks. Unity was faster, slicker and more efficient.

Hats off to Mark Shuttleworth for his vision.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 10th May 2012 at 09:30 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12