+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
*nix Thread, Which distro? in Technical; Originally Posted by mmoseley That is my problem, I install Mint or Ubuntu, Cannot do something simple, likeee play my ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoseley View Post
    That is my problem, I install Mint or Ubuntu, Cannot do something simple, likeee play my media files in a way that im used to, and I just think "ah sod this, back to windows"....I think persistance is my friend
    I'm suprised you've had that with mint?

apt install vlc would play most media files.

i used to go back to windows but haven't felt the for some time, in fact the idea of using windows doesn't fill me with confidence.

i've just installed visio on mint using wine, and its working pretty well which pretty much removes my day to day need for my windows vm at home

i do still use a windows vm at work, mainly for outlook.

the breaking point for me at work with windows was when i adjusted the screen resolution on my second monitor and it blue screened on me.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You don't need to use apt. The software center let's you find a media player in mint, and Ubuntu.

I use Mint on my laptop and I have zero issues with it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    You don't need to use apt.
    old habits die hard. personally i prefer command line to gui most of the time. i was showing someone our switches the other day, and they mentioned they preferred using the web interface and i realised i hadn't even bothered enabling the web gui.

I think its force of habit with most linux systems for me to use whichever command line tool they have for packages, as i find it easier to do something like apt search vlc | grep lib
    than look through lots of packages on the gui, i also have bad memories of using fedora a few years back and the package manager never working mainly because packagekitd was doing somethin in the background, by the time i'd loaded the terminal to kill/disable packagekit i might as well stay there.

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    I use Mint on my laptop and I have zero issues with it.
    same, i also use it for my desktop machine at work

Thank Post
    I use Mint 14 on an old Dell DS server and it rocks.

Thank Post
    We use CentOS exclusively now, have to say its much cleaner than ubuntu.

I use the CentOS minimal command line only for web servers etc, installing webmin if I need to schedule Cron jobs as its still the only part I am not good at without a UI!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    We use CentOS exclusively now, have to say its much cleaner than ubuntu.

I use the CentOS minimal command line only for web servers etc, installing webmin if I need to schedule Cron jobs as its still the only part I am not good at without a UI!

i wouldn't use ubuntu or a derivative for servers, the thought makes me shudder. I do think mint is good for desktops as things like chrome/flash work easily.

Personally i almost always use suse for servers unless the service/app dictates otherwise.
    @localzuk does 4od work for you? that and five demand don't work on my laptop. youtube and iplayer are fine.

Thank Post
    Ubuntu server is good for .. well, servers. I've also heard good things about the GUI version but have no experience of it myself. I used Fedora back at university which was fairly easy to adapt to, coming from Windows-centric background. Depends on what you're looking to do.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecampbell View Post
    Depends on what you're looking to do.
    exactly the right tool for the job.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ConradJones View Post
    i wouldn't use ubuntu or a derivative for servers, the thought makes me shudder.
    Why?

We use the server edition for ... servers (generally LAMPS) and it's been rock solid. Apart from anything else, it's extremely well documented.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Indeed, I've been using Ubuntu server since 2006! Never had any issues.

What would make you shudder using Ubuntu server compared to Suse??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    What would make you shudder using Ubuntu server compared to Suse??
    Provisioning and maintaining a bunch of them is a bit of a pita compared to satellite or spacewalk on Centos/Scientific Linux (aka SUSE manager)
    Spacewalk: Free & Open Source Linux Systems Management
    I think there are some paid for canonical tools in ubuntu? do you use those?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    How many schools run a bunch of linux servers though? Not many. Its not like we have data centers full of them...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Provisioning and maintaining a bunch of them is a bit of a pita compared to satellite or spacewalk on Centos/Scientific Linux (aka SUSE manager)
    Spacewalk: Free & Open Source Linux Systems Management
    I think there are some paid for canonical tools in ubuntu? do you use those?
    We use Puppet and were it worthwhile, I'd probably use Cobbler to deploy images.

MAAS and Juju are available for Ubuntu, but overkill for our needs. The Foreman ( theforeman.org ) is interesting and built on Puppet addon, but also probably overkill from a complexity vs cloning a VM template POV. Saltstack also suffers from the complexity vs "our current method is fast enough*" problem.

If I were deploying lots of test server instances (developers, students doing computing), or managing a lot more servers, it would be a consideration.

*5 minutes virtual, 10-15 minutes physical, then Puppet takes over.
    Last edited by pete; 1st July 2013 at 12:01 PM.

Thank Post
    I use Fedora across the board for anything Laptop/Desktop. Servers I use CentOS.

I have just installed WINE on my Fedora laptop, now usually Im not fussed about any windows programs in Linux, but I needed this one program as Linux doesnt have an alternative, I've always had issues with wine, but this time no problems at all. Installed wine with one command, downloaded the .EXE and ran it, the Windows program runs great, no issues at all.

I tend to stick with XFCE Desktops on Fedora, I dont like the new GNOME at all.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Arise, old thread!

Fickle old me. I've been quite a supporter of Unity for a while, but my Ubuntu 12.04 & a bunch of PPAs were getting a bit untidy so I went to 13.10. Eugh, it was like one of those horrible toolbars you see on friend's computers suggesting all sorts of wierd stuff.

Well anyway, I thought a blank laptop would be an ideal opportunity to try out a distro I took a shine to a while back. I tuned into Sabayon to see what was new and gave their Gnome version a spin. Boy, am I impressed. It's a very pure distro, with (to my mind) no bad choices of apps or weird customisation.

Hardware detection is spot-on, performance is good. It works out of the box, with all common codecs present and correct.

The software repo is huge, not as big as the humongous Debian, and is very up-to-date. It's also a rolling distro, which means no version and precarious upgrades.

The only thing I'm not used to is the package management. I'm used to apt and yum, but Sabayon's software is based on Gentoo. The GUI software installer, Rigo, seems nice and friendly, similar to Ubuntu but not quite as garish.

I've been using it for a little while, and so far it doesn't seem to have any weaknesses.

Give it a try - you'll like it.
    Sabayon | Home

As for servers, I've used Centos, Debian and Ubuntu. Without doubt, Centos is the gold standard for reliability. It's ultra-conservative, and the software can be quite old, but it prizes reliability above all.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 26th November 2013 at 09:31 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast