+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Beyond the desktop: Ubuntu Linux's new Head-Up Display in Technical; ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 882 Posts
    Blog Entries

Beyond the desktop: Ubuntu Linux's new Head-Up Display

Link: Beyond the desktop: Ubuntu Linux's new Head-Up Display | ZDNet

HUD will use a “vocabulary UI”, or VUI. In this you’ll start to type or say a command and in 12.04 LTS, the HUD starts a smart look-ahead search through the app and system (indicator) menus.

Thank Post
    One more reason for me to move to Mint

Thank Post
    I read about this yesterday here HUD's up! Ubuntu creates menu-free GUI and came to the conclusion that someone has decided that the problem with the modern gui is the graphics bit.

Thank Post
    Mark Shuttleworth introduces yet another daft UI and users go wtf? News at 11.

In the future history books will show Ubuntu being responsible for noticeable growth in LOTD and then Mark Shuttleworth being responsible for killing off any gains they made.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I disagree. So there.

I use Ubuntu at home, with stock Unity.

The first time I encountered Unity, I was aghast. It was such a culture shock. The WTFs could be almost visible floating out of the room.

I tried Gnome Shell 3, sort of got on with it, but it wasn't quite right for me.

So, I persevered with Unity. Now, I wouldn't swap it for anything. I've used KDE from 3.5, Gnome from 2, E17, Openbox, fluxbox, LXDE, XFCE, and probably more I can't remember.

I find Unity fast, slick and efficient. I really do. Menus seem so old hat to me. Maybe you'll never like it, but I really see a future for it.

Here's Mr Shuttleworth's view.
    Mark Shuttleworth

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sounds great to me. I use that functionality in the Windows start menu all the time, and if I use an XP machine, I install something that can do it instead.

Scrolling through lists of icons makes no sense - why not just type in what you want? Sure, have a few icons for the most commonly used applications, but that's it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    I disagree. So there.

I use Ubuntu at home, with stock Unity.

The first time I encountered Unity, I was aghast. It was such a culture shock. The WTFs could be almost visible floating out of the room.

I tried Gnome Shell 3, sort of got on with it, but it wasn't quite right for me.

So, I persevered with Unity. Now, I wouldn't swap it for anything. I've used KDE from 3.5, Gnome from 2, E17, Openbox, fluxbox, LXDE, XFCE, and probably more I can't remember.

I find Unity fast, slick and efficient. I really do. Menus seem so old hat to me. Maybe you'll never like it, but I really see a future for it.

Here's Mr Shuttleworth's view.
    Mark Shuttleworth

I spent a month using Unity every day at home and at work. Cost me too much time and reverted to Mint.

Thank Post
    I used to love kde. Up to version 3 it was great, clean, simple, efficient and above all reliable. Then someone decides it needs fixing, and breaks it completely. I move to gnome, get my head round that, and then someone does the same again. Change I can cope with, but both of these were big back steps in terms of reliability which is just unacceptable. After 10 years of being a happy linux user, I gave up and went back to windows. There are far bigger issues with linux that need fixing than wether the widgets are transparent, and no one seems to bother about fixing them. It seemed to me as if some kids had taken it over.

Thank Post
    Linux-hates-Windows-copies-Windows shocker

From being a complete Windows luvvie I'd started to warm to Linux then Ubuntu borked my last upgrade and had to start afresh with the recent versions with Unity... oh dear...

It's a dog of an interface imo, can't stand the full screen switcher or the clunky side bar icons, luckily found Mint and the classic GNOME option and got back to some sort of normality again. As for this latest idea... I like the quick search on the Start Menu in Win7 but I also like to have the option to do it the old way... seems Ubuntu don't quite get that bit and it's "my way or the high way"... kinda like Apple but without the design skills. Some days I might want to use keyboard, some days I prefer mouse and don't appreciate some designer trying to force that choice onto me whether it's Microsoft, Ubuntu, Apple or anyone else.

Ubuntu won't be going near any of my machines again, firmly with Mint now and hope the classic GNOME fork stays alive

10. Thanks to gshaw from:

CyberNerd (26th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Ubuntu won't be going near any of my machines again, firmly with Mint now and hope the classic GNOME fork stays alive
    The new Mint is actually Gnome3 - but they've added the old style start menu (as well as the search thing, which has been around way longer than win7).
    The Mint Gnome3 Desktop is a very good mix of the old and the new.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Between this and Windows 8 Metro UI, it looks like we're all just going to have to learn to love "menu-less" systems.

It seems to me everybody is just trying to emulate the interfaces on our smartphones.

I don't like change.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread