+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Samba Shares - Read/Write but no Delete for Guest users in Technical; Evening All Right, doing a little reconfiguring of my home media server at the moment and I'm wanting to set ...
    Thank Post

Samba Shares - Read/Write but no Delete for Guest users

Evening All

Right, doing a little reconfiguring of my home media server at the moment and I'm wanting to set up a Samba Share so that people at home can read/write from/to the folder as a guest user, but not delete items from within the folder and wondering the best way of going about this?

It's all set up as a DLNA server for my TV over Cat5 (or indeed Wireless since I got a new telly .. whoop) and that works a treat, but I want to be able to drop files into the folder, or for people to be able to, which then will show up on the TV, but obviously I don't want random files just being deleted.

At the moment, it's set so the guest should have access, however, as a guest user you only get access to the directory listing and then anything within there you can't access or even write to as there aren't the permissions set. However, log in as the user for the folder and all is well.

Now, the shared folder in question is the home directory of a user (I've set up a DLNA user so it's in /home/dlna/) .. and wonder if this could be the issue?

Many thanks
    Andy :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soveryapt View Post
    Evening All

Right, doing a little reconfiguring of my home media server at the moment and I'm wanting to set up a Samba Share so that people at home can read/write from/to the folder as a guest user, but not delete items from within the folder and wondering the best way of going about this?)
    I think you need to set the sticky bit so that the guest user can write to the directory, but any files written are read only. I can't remember/figure out off the top of my head. try googling "sticky bit chmod

3. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

soveryapt (16th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I think you need to set the sticky bit so that the guest user can write to the directory, but any files written are read only. I can't remember/figure out off the top of my head. try googling "sticky bit chmod
    I'll give it a Google ..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread