+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Samba & Windows in Technical; Hi everyone, Just a little nag thats been bothering me and trying to get to the bottom of it, when ...
    Thank Post

Samba & Windows

Hi everyone,

Just a little nag thats been bothering me and trying to get to the bottom of it, when our users logon to there Windows PC's they can access our Samba Share server via A Shortcut on the desktop, but IF the samba Login Username is the same as the Windows User Name it won't let that user login, why is this ??? Is it because it's trying to bind the two usernames ??

And also - what is the best way to get Samba and Windows working with Single Sign on ?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Just a little nag thats been bothering me and trying to get to the bottom of it, when our users logon to there Windows PC's they can access our Samba Share server via A Shortcut on the desktop, but IF the samba Login Username is the same as the Windows User Name it won't let that user login, why is this ??? Is it because it's trying to bind the two usernames ??
    Does your samba user and windows user have the same password used for both? As Windows will pass these credentials to the samba server and if they do not match you will encounter this problem.

What is the best way to get Samba and Windows working with Single Sign on ?
    Are you referring to a single source for username and passwords (to keep all services using the same user credentials etc) in which case Samba + LDAP on the linux PDC or connect Linux to Active Directory if your primary domain controller is AD. For single sign on authorisation wise something like NTLM, CAS etc. is probably best bets.

3. Thanks to danielknox from:

cpjitservices (11th August 2011)

Thank Post
    passwords are different from Samba, but the usernames where the same - so I have changed the usernames to be different and it works fine now.

Thanks I have samba added into the domain - I'm going to look at implementing the single sing on in a few weeks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    Thanks I have samba added into the domain - I'm going to look at implementing the single sing on in a few weeks.
    If your using a windows active directory domain then you can use winbind to make sure the unix and windows usernames are matched.

I put together a wiki for samba homedirectories here:

Samba Homedirectory - Wiki

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread