+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, What people dislike about Ubuntu in Technical; Click me . The Unity desktop seems to be the biggest gripe (no surprise there). For me it's lack of ...

Thank Post

What people dislike about Ubuntu

Click me. The Unity desktop seems to be the biggest gripe (no surprise there). For me it's lack of action on bug fixes. I used to run the servers for an e-tailer, which ran Ubuntu. I discovered a couple of bugs which I reported to Canonical and there was a distinct lack action.

Sort of related is Linus Torvalds dubs GNOME 3 'unholy mess'. I can't comment on Gnome, but KDE4 is a similar dogs breakfast. I'll stick to IceWm for now, although I might give Xfce a run at some point. I run LXDE on one of my machines, and so far the experience has been pretty good.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    LXDE is my flavour of choice because XFCE, KDE and Gnome are appauling and are trying to be Windows/Mac so much...For example I can alter my XFCE/KDE Environment and make it look identical to W7, and same with Gnome and make it look identical to OSX.

Granted the same can be done with LXDE but not so much, and it is much sleeker for me to use. Its lightweight and fast and makes my laptop run like a dream

As for ubuntu, its taking on the role of "oooh look at me, lets stick it to Microsoft" and whilst the dev cycle is fantastic (new release every 6 months with bug fixes in between), its just a pain to keep up, it would be like MS releasing Windows 8 next week, then 6 months down the line Windows 8.5, then 6 months Windows 9...Its a bugbear of mine! They should release it like they do with their server versions and release on a similar cycle

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gnome and KDE have both gone down the same route - catering for the lowest common denominator but making a mess of it while they do it.

I originally started using KDE1 back in the day, and KDE2 wasn't bad either. Always hated Gnome though.

I also went through a phase of loving OpenStep, as it was pretty good for customisation.

XFCE? That's not a bad one, a bit limited for my tasting.

To be honest, I usually stick to Enlightenment!

With the release cycle of Ubuntu, I stick to the LTS releases now. I don't generally want the latest and greatest (bugs included), I want a functioning system. A new version every 2-5 years for me (as it gets updates for 5 years).

I've even seen some people on here using the non LTS releases on servers! Who would want to have to upgrade their servers every 18 months??

4. Thanks to localzuk from:

featured_spectre (5th August 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Whole heartedly agree with you their @localzuk

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I disagree with much of the linked article. But it's a personal view, and arguing with personal views is largely a waste of time. But, for what it's worth, here're my thoughts:

I like Unity. I've used Gnome from Warty Warthog onwards, and KDE from 3.5 (in an early PCLinuxOS).

The first time I saw Unity, I must admit I didn't like it. I also didn't understand what it was trying to do, which is why I didn't like it.

Try right-clicking the application icon - it opens up a grouping list so you can drill down quickly to your app. Same for your files icon.

I much prefer it to Gnome 2 (I haven't tried Gnome 3 so I can't comment on that). I've used LXDE, XFCE, Openbox, Fluxbox, Enlightenment, the whole gamut of shells and desktops. I would have been quite happy for Ubuntu to stick with Gnome, but I've persevered with Unity and now prefer it to Gnome.

Hardware support? Excellent. Everything works on my HP G6000 laptop, and my Pavillion desktop. No tweaking whatsoever was required. I just keeps getting better.

Packages - I find Ubuntu packages are pretty recent. For instance, my music DAW (Qtractor) is very recent. I use PPAs to keep this up to date as Rui (the author, and the guy who wrote the GUI for Jack) releases quite frequently so backports (or even better, PPA), is a great way of keeping a particular item at the cutting edge.

I love OSS, and only use OSS at home. However, I'm pragmatic - I want to watch Flash without cooking my machine, I want high-performance NVidia drivers to get the most from my graphics chip, I want to create MP3s, watch DVDs, and so on). If this involves propriety drivers (e.g. nvidia) well so be it.

Personally, I think Ubuntu is a shot in the arm for Linux.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 5th August 2011 at 11:20 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    I'm a bit fed up with Ubuntu, specifically Unity. I've been using Unity every day for the last month or so at work and recently changed back to Gnome. I see the point that it is useful for merging netbook,phone and PC GUI's in much the same as MS seem to be doing in win8 but I found it too be too much of a PiTA for everyday use.

Likewise the new Ubuntu software centre is problematic, a mate of mine was telling me that if you double clicked the World of Goo deb to install it which is now done by USC by default. It claims the package isn't of adequate quality because the output which says "package name not in lower case". Of course $ dpkg -i WorldOfGoo.deb did the trick with no backchat at all but what must n00bs think?

Of course I love the ease of which (proprietry) hardware and drivers are installed so easily in Ubuntu, compared to say Centos/Redhat/Windows. For servers I still stick to RedHat as I don't need any of the desktop features and drivers are always available for servers. (the RHN is also pretty cool - like being able to update servers remotely from a website The wide availability of ubuntu package files is also a massive plus, I don't have issues with compiling from source on servers, but it can be a bit of a ballache on desktops.

I've recently started to try Mint Debian edition. It's pretty nice, one advantage being it uses Debian repositories so benefits from a longer release schedule. Still on gnome 2 though, so might have a play around with LXDE XFCE or something

Thank Post
    Also newer versions of Ubuntu seem to be really slow I had 8 running on my laptop it was brilliant I upgraded to 9 very easily and it still ran like a dream bearing in mind it's a celeron 2.8 with 1gb dd2 ram but even still, I have upgraded to ubuntu 11 and feel very let down, the amount of times it freezes is unbelievable, I've now opted for the newest version of Linux Mint and I'm really rather impressed very nice to use and got my wireless working using windows .inf files which is great!!!!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Odd. Maybe the upgrade is at fault? I keep a separate /home partition and just wipe the OS partition and install the new version when the time comes. I've never had much luck with upgrades.

11.04 is fast and very stable for me. I think I've had one lockup in the last couple of months.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 5th August 2011 at 04:50 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    I agree with jinnantonnixx 11.04 didn't create any particular issues for me, and it is certainly faster than XP on the same hardware, which is quite an achievement considering XP is ten years old. But yes, Mint is a nice alternative.

Thank Post
    Stupid dependencies. Especially developers setting "requires" on a package when the things set as required actually aren't. Same deal with "reccommended". "Suggests" is there for a reason - aka "aha, you'll want a mailserver with that".

And like unixman says - the bug handling for non-desktop use can be dire.

Letting things that are fine and dandy if it's a desktop install interfere with server installs.

Wait, I sense a flashback:

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/behind...endencies.html
    http://www.edugeek.net/forums/behind...asel-rant.html

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread