+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Desktop Virtualisation via KVM test project in Technical; In retrospect i should have posted this in the VM forum. Apologies. Hi Gang, This is pie in the sky ...
    Thank Post

Desktop Virtualisation via KVM test project

In retrospect i should have posted this in the VM forum. Apologies.

Hi Gang,

This is pie in the sky project im setting for myself to complete. What i would like is some input and direction overall to acertain the validity, feasibility etc of this project, as follows:

Inspiration for the project
    The bane of my existance in this network is differing hardware models and large number of clients. I would like to create a single "universal" virtual image i can deploy easily to clients when required. Im hoping to leverage the vanilla-bility of generic VM drivers and somewhat superior driver base of linux to overcome this.

Requirments
    To update a single image/vm (per OS) and deploy to clients
    To allow multiple OS'es to be used at a student desktop (boot inbetween Windows XP and linux dsitro)
    To run with minimal additional cost as possible (vmware view/xendesktop too expensive/feature rich for a test project)
    To run on 32bit systems (with Intel VT)

My thoughts so far ...
    Install (manually) a linux OS on each computer which i would then modify to automatically load KVM and hopefully leave at a menu structure to select VM of choice. I have no idea how to do this atm but im sure its possible. Also ive never used KVM before -- im assuming this is possible at all just by reading features sets off the net.

What i need to work on
    How can i modify the linux base OS to automatically load kvm and load a "menu structure"
    How can i deploy the linux base OS with modifications to a lab without manually installing it
    Testing our software suites in the VM's of varying specced hardware (CAD, 3d modelling for example)

Your input ...
    Always appreciated.

I put this here for both feedback from the crowd and also for my own hitlist of things to accomplish. If there is no feedback thats also fine.

Cheers
    Last edited by amfony; 10th June 2011 at 03:00 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread