+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
*nix Thread, Has anybody ported entirely from Windows? in Technical; I think Linux all the way for education imagine the money we'd save - especially since we wouldn't have to ...
    Thank Post
    I think Linux all the way for education imagine the money we'd save - especially since we wouldn't have to have corporate licensing for AV software for all desktop machines as Linux doesn't get viruses and the support nowadays for Linux is great, and then theres the money saved on things like ghost as we could all migrate to FOG and imaging wouldn't be hardware Dependant as Linux works on virtually any system, we would also save money by buying lesser spec PC's as Linux doesn't have to be ran on oober powerful machines, I think the future for education is in Linux the money we'd save would be unbelievable but it would take a bit of time but worth it in the end.

Thank Post
    Hi, We have ported mostly to Linux, still have some Windows and Mac's around as I am not a complete zealot. I was going to invite you for a visit but have just noticed that you are in the US so that might be a bit difficult but the offer is there if you fancy the trip!

Any questions just let me know.

Thank Post
    One thing I would like to know about is how you lock down your windows clients if you have no AD infrastructure to dole out GPOs. Do you use Local GPOs instead or something else entirely?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    I think Linux all the way for education imagine the money we'd save - especially since we wouldn't have to have corporate licensing for AV software for all desktop machines as Linux doesn't get viruses and the support nowadays for Linux is great, and then theres the money saved on things like ghost as we could all migrate to FOG and imaging wouldn't be hardware Dependant as Linux works on virtually any system, we would also save money by buying lesser spec PC's as Linux doesn't have to be ran on oober powerful machines, I think the future for education is in Linux the money we'd save would be unbelievable but it would take a bit of time but worth it in the end.
    I agree. I've also heard of a program known as Puppet. Supposedly you can mass-control Linux systems to execute certain commands and do various tasks. Of course with the power of the Linux terminal, this means you have control over *everything*. I heard it compares to Casper for Macs. Anybody give it a shot?

Quote Originally Posted by linuxgirlie View Post
    Hi, We have ported mostly to Linux, still have some Windows and Mac's around as I am not a complete zealot. I was going to invite you for a visit but have just noticed that you are in the US so that might be a bit difficult but the offer is there if you fancy the trip!

Any questions just let me know.
    That's very kind of you, and I would love to take you up on that offer except I am what you would call "poor" so a plane ticket for that distance might be a challenge! If you don't mind I may shoot some questions your way in time. So far we're still in the building stage of trying to figure out what limitations exist and implementing ideas for alternative software, etc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12