+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, How do config Ubuntu 10.10 to allow in internet Traffic in Technical; HELP As i asked before but did not get a response I am asking again We have Ubuntu10.10 Server installed ...

Thank Post

Exclamation How do config Ubuntu 10.10 to allow in internet Traffic

HELP

As i asked before but did not get a response I am asking again

We have Ubuntu10.10 Server installed into our network with a 10.* ip address
    We are running apache2 and Moodle and i can access them all from within the School

We have had a public IP address and DNS entry made vle.hilbre.wirral.sch.uk this has been done by the LA comms team at the Main Firewall/Nat Comms room.

If i however try and access the websites from outside of the school I cannot get access to website Just get the Waiting to Connect and then "This Website cannot be displayed."

I spoke to the Comms team and the said it is getting threw them so it must be the Server. Try stopping or removing the iptables services and see if that fixes it.
    Well it has not.

What else do i need to do on the server to allow all internet traffic from outside world in on certain ports and of course allow internet traffic out.

I am a novice so quick and simple please.

Stuart

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ok, a couple of questions - where is the public IP address pointing? Is it being NATted to your moodle server? By default, Ubuntu server doesn't have any firewall in place (this has always been the case).

Can you access it internally?

Thank Post
    Yes can be access internally via it private ip address and all runs great.

LA made the public ip address and NAT'ed it to the internal ip 212.* to 10.*

We orginal had this setup up for a windows server that we where going to use as the new Webserver and it worked first time but then it was decide to move to Linux as moodle works better and gives us features that windows does not so i made the switch ARRRGHHH

Comms teams says it can see the outside world coming in and trying to connect???
    So they said turn off iptables that has worked in past well i did that and in fact uninstalled it (Apt-get remove)
    no change

If you want copy of any config file or what ever let me know and i will send as i am desprate now

Stuart

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ok, when you're accessing it internally, how are you doing it? directly via its IP or via DNS? (ie. have you set up a local DNS record of the same name as the external one to point at the internal IP?)

My question would also be, have you tried giving the internal ip to a different box, stuck wireshark on it and had a look to see if traffic is coming through? As I said, there are no default firewalls set up on ubuntu server.

Thank Post
    Got it sorted i think

Forgot to say have 2 nics on board and when trying to access website from outside it was coming in on wrong ip need to bond then at some point i have pulled cable out and all is working at moment.

Thanks for help wireshark help me out with that

Stuart

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah, yeah, that's gonna cause issues. I doubt you'll need to bond them though, 1Gbps is never going to end up being used on a moodle server!

Unless you mean to get failover, which is kinda pointless unless you have 2 switches, 2 internet connections etc...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread