+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
*nix Thread, PowerPoint Viewer for Linux in Technical; Can anyone recommend me a good PowerPoint viewer for Linux? The slideshows would contain all the "usual" wizziness, animations and ...
    Thank Post

PowerPoint Viewer for Linux

Can anyone recommend me a good PowerPoint viewer for Linux? The slideshows would contain all the "usual" wizziness, animations and transitions, as well as video (ideally .wmv format, but could be something less proprietary if need be) so it would need to be able to handle all that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,599 Times in 2,017 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Try using open office impress, it should be able to handle PPT's fine.

If not, try using Wine with the Microsoft Powerpoint Viewer.

3. Thanks to localzuk from:

enjay (10th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Yes, totally forgot about Open Office Impress - thanks!

One slight problem with it though. I've created a PPT which includes a .wmv file, and it doesn't play in Impress. If I open Impress, and go to add a video, it doesn't include .wmv under "all video files". If I then go to "all files" and select the .wmv, I can add it and it will play. Weird, huh?

Not insurmountable, as I doubt we'll be using videos all that much in the slideshows, but I would rather people could create them in PowerPoint than have to do it in Impress (one less thing to learn how to use).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Yes, totally forgot about Open Office Impress - thanks!

One slight problem with it though. I've created a PPT which includes a .wmv file, and it doesn't play in Impress. If I open Impress, and go to add a video, it doesn't include .wmv under "all video files". If I then go to "all files" and select the .wmv, I can add it and it will play. Weird, huh?

Not insurmountable, as I doubt we'll be using videos all that much in the slideshows, but I would rather people could create them in PowerPoint than have to do it in Impress (one less thing to learn how to use).
    That's a tiny bit odd, yes! I'd suggest using something more 'standard' for videos though. MP4 for example.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I'd suggest using something more 'standard' for videos though. MP4 for example.
    WMV is hardly non-standard, plus it is the only format which Windows Movie Maker produces. Really needing something as simple as possible here, otherwise the display screen won't get used (plus I want to minimise the number of support calls this generates!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,908 Times in 2,140 Posts
    Would it be possible to convert the PowerPoints into SWFs?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Would it be possible to convert the PowerPoints into SWFs?
    Possibly, although converting the video to something else is probably easier.

Starting to think I'll just pay the extra and get a Windows netbook for this project anyway - less support all round that way.

Thank Post
    [RANT]
    WMV is not a 'Standard' it is a proprietary video compression format from Microsoft (ie designed for Windows), MP4 aka MPEG-4 14 or to give its full title ISO/IEC 14496-14:2003 is most definitely a 'Standard'!
    [/RANT]

Thank Post
    WMVs can contain VC-1 encoded video which definitely is a standard (see SMPTE 421M).

Thank Post
    Legal status

Although widely considered to be Microsoft’s product, there are actually fifteen companies in the VC-1 patent pool (as of August 17, 2006). As an SMPTE standard, VC-1 is open to implementation by anyone, although implementers are hypothetically required to pay licensing fees to the MPEG LA, LLC licensing body or directly to its members, who claim to hold essential patents on the format (since it is a non-exclusive licensing body)
    And that is why it is not included by default with most Linux distros.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,014 Posts
    google docs ??

Google Docs - Viewer

Assuming the document is located on the web, if not if its an attachment in a gmail account you can use google docs

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    And that is why it is not included by default with most Linux distros.
    What about MP3 and H.264? Aren't they the same?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Patent_licensing
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

Thank Post
    Yes you are indeed correct, try Ogg Theora or VP8 for one that is not.
    Last edited by somabc; 10th February 2011 at 10:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    [RANT]
    WMV is not a 'Standard' it is a proprietary video compression format from Microsoft (ie designed for Windows)
    [/RANT]
    You're arguing semantics now. Fully accepting it is proprietary, WMV is default to an OS used on high-90s % of all computers, and is the only format produced by what for your average user is the one video editing program they've ever used (i.e. Movie Maker). What's more, if you're looking for something which any ten people at random can use (which I am, in this instance), it needs to be Windows-based and using for videos, that means WMV. Hence my word "standard, although I accept "common" or even "prolific" would have been a better words. I meant "standard" not in the sense of standards-based but in the sense of widely-used, the same way you would say that Photoshop is an industry-standard editing package, even though that is also proprietary, or that Word is an industry-standard word processor.

Again, I concede that WMV is proprietary not standards-based, however any product out there which plays video files but can't handle WMV is missing a trick, somewhat.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    You're arguing semantics now. Fully accepting it is proprietary, WMV is default to an OS used on high-90s % of all computers, and is the only format produced by what for your average user is the one video editing program they've ever used (i.e. Movie Maker). What's more, if you're looking for something which any ten people at random can use (which I am, in this instance), it needs to be Windows-based and using for videos, that means WMV. Hence my word "standard, although I accept "common" or even "prolific" would have been a better words. I meant "standard" not in the sense of standards-based but in the sense of widely-used, the same way you would say that Photoshop is an industry-standard editing package, even though that is also proprietary, or that Word is an industry-standard word processor.

Again, I concede that WMV is proprietary not standards-based, however any product out there which plays video files but can't handle WMV is missing a trick, somewhat.
    Your market share is a bit off there now. It is somewhere around 85%ish now for Windows. Also remember that devices are no longer restricted to desktop PCs, with videos being played on various ones. When you take that into account, WMV is simply a bad choice of video format.

If you want to use cross-platform stuff, you have to stop thinking in a Microsoft-centric way, and that means in many cases stopping using MS proprietary formats like WMV. Open source platforms are not going to support such formats because they involved patent issues, copyright issues, trademark issues and the like.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast