+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
*nix Thread, PowerPoint Viewer for Linux in Technical; Can anyone recommend me a good PowerPoint viewer for Linux? The slideshows would contain all the "usual" wizziness, animations and ...
  1. #1
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,497
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76

    PowerPoint Viewer for Linux

    Can anyone recommend me a good PowerPoint viewer for Linux? The slideshows would contain all the "usual" wizziness, animations and transitions, as well as video (ideally .wmv format, but could be something less proprietary if need be) so it would need to be able to handle all that.

  2. #2

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,352
    Thank Post
    525
    Thanked 2,599 Times in 2,017 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    888
    Try using open office impress, it should be able to handle PPT's fine.

    If not, try using Wine with the Microsoft Powerpoint Viewer.

  3. Thanks to localzuk from:

    enjay (10th February 2011)

  4. #3
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,497
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Yes, totally forgot about Open Office Impress - thanks!

    One slight problem with it though. I've created a PPT which includes a .wmv file, and it doesn't play in Impress. If I open Impress, and go to add a video, it doesn't include .wmv under "all video files". If I then go to "all files" and select the .wmv, I can add it and it will play. Weird, huh?

    Not insurmountable, as I doubt we'll be using videos all that much in the slideshows, but I would rather people could create them in PowerPoint than have to do it in Impress (one less thing to learn how to use).

  5. #4

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,352
    Thank Post
    525
    Thanked 2,599 Times in 2,017 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    888
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Yes, totally forgot about Open Office Impress - thanks!

    One slight problem with it though. I've created a PPT which includes a .wmv file, and it doesn't play in Impress. If I open Impress, and go to add a video, it doesn't include .wmv under "all video files". If I then go to "all files" and select the .wmv, I can add it and it will play. Weird, huh?

    Not insurmountable, as I doubt we'll be using videos all that much in the slideshows, but I would rather people could create them in PowerPoint than have to do it in Impress (one less thing to learn how to use).
    That's a tiny bit odd, yes! I'd suggest using something more 'standard' for videos though. MP4 for example.

  6. #5
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,497
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I'd suggest using something more 'standard' for videos though. MP4 for example.
    WMV is hardly non-standard, plus it is the only format which Windows Movie Maker produces. Really needing something as simple as possible here, otherwise the display screen won't get used (plus I want to minimise the number of support calls this generates!)

  7. #6


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    9,629
    Thank Post
    250
    Thanked 2,908 Times in 2,140 Posts
    Rep Power
    829
    Would it be possible to convert the PowerPoints into SWFs?

  8. #7
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,497
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Would it be possible to convert the PowerPoints into SWFs?
    Possibly, although converting the video to something else is probably easier.

    Starting to think I'll just pay the extra and get a Windows netbook for this project anyway - less support all round that way.

  9. #8
    somabc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,337
    Thank Post
    83
    Thanked 388 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    112
    [RANT]
    WMV is not a 'Standard' it is a proprietary video compression format from Microsoft (ie designed for Windows), MP4 aka MPEG-4 14 or to give its full title ISO/IEC 14496-14:2003 is most definitely a 'Standard'!
    [/RANT]

  10. #9


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    9,629
    Thank Post
    250
    Thanked 2,908 Times in 2,140 Posts
    Rep Power
    829
    WMVs can contain VC-1 encoded video which definitely is a standard (see SMPTE 421M).

  11. #10
    somabc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,337
    Thank Post
    83
    Thanked 388 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    112
    Legal status

    Although widely considered to be Microsoft’s product, there are actually fifteen companies in the VC-1 patent pool (as of August 17, 2006). As an SMPTE standard, VC-1 is open to implementation by anyone, although implementers are hypothetically required to pay licensing fees to the MPEG LA, LLC licensing body or directly to its members, who claim to hold essential patents on the format (since it is a non-exclusive licensing body)
    And that is why it is not included by default with most Linux distros.

  12. #11

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,983
    Thank Post
    3,531
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Rep Power
    374
    google docs ??

    Google Docs - Viewer

    Assuming the document is located on the web, if not if its an attachment in a gmail account you can use google docs

  13. #12


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    9,629
    Thank Post
    250
    Thanked 2,908 Times in 2,140 Posts
    Rep Power
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    And that is why it is not included by default with most Linux distros.
    What about MP3 and H.264? Aren't they the same?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Patent_licensing
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

  14. #13
    somabc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,337
    Thank Post
    83
    Thanked 388 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    112
    Yes you are indeed correct, try Ogg Theora or VP8 for one that is not.
    Last edited by somabc; 10th February 2011 at 10:42 PM.

  15. #14
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,497
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    [RANT]
    WMV is not a 'Standard' it is a proprietary video compression format from Microsoft (ie designed for Windows)
    [/RANT]
    You're arguing semantics now. Fully accepting it is proprietary, WMV is default to an OS used on high-90s % of all computers, and is the only format produced by what for your average user is the one video editing program they've ever used (i.e. Movie Maker). What's more, if you're looking for something which any ten people at random can use (which I am, in this instance), it needs to be Windows-based and using for videos, that means WMV. Hence my word "standard, although I accept "common" or even "prolific" would have been a better words. I meant "standard" not in the sense of standards-based but in the sense of widely-used, the same way you would say that Photoshop is an industry-standard editing package, even though that is also proprietary, or that Word is an industry-standard word processor.

    Again, I concede that WMV is proprietary not standards-based, however any product out there which plays video files but can't handle WMV is missing a trick, somewhat.

  16. #15

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,352
    Thank Post
    525
    Thanked 2,599 Times in 2,017 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    888
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    You're arguing semantics now. Fully accepting it is proprietary, WMV is default to an OS used on high-90s % of all computers, and is the only format produced by what for your average user is the one video editing program they've ever used (i.e. Movie Maker). What's more, if you're looking for something which any ten people at random can use (which I am, in this instance), it needs to be Windows-based and using for videos, that means WMV. Hence my word "standard, although I accept "common" or even "prolific" would have been a better words. I meant "standard" not in the sense of standards-based but in the sense of widely-used, the same way you would say that Photoshop is an industry-standard editing package, even though that is also proprietary, or that Word is an industry-standard word processor.

    Again, I concede that WMV is proprietary not standards-based, however any product out there which plays video files but can't handle WMV is missing a trick, somewhat.
    Your market share is a bit off there now. It is somewhere around 85%ish now for Windows. Also remember that devices are no longer restricted to desktop PCs, with videos being played on various ones. When you take that into account, WMV is simply a bad choice of video format.

    If you want to use cross-platform stuff, you have to stop thinking in a Microsoft-centric way, and that means in many cases stopping using MS proprietary formats like WMV. Open source platforms are not going to support such formats because they involved patent issues, copyright issues, trademark issues and the like.



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. eps viewer
    By Geoff in forum Windows
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23rd January 2010, 04:59 PM
  2. CCTV viewer?
    By neon in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 3rd December 2009, 01:31 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20th August 2009, 08:07 PM
  4. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 24th November 2006, 09:33 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •