+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
*nix Thread, Debian 6.0 "Squeeze" released in Technical; Quick download: multiarch i386/amd64 combined network installer Originally Posted by DebianPress February 6th, 2011 After 24 months of constant development, ...
  1. #1

    powdarrmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Alcester, Warwickshire
    Posts
    4,859
    Thank Post
    412
    Thanked 777 Times in 650 Posts
    Rep Power
    182

    Debian 6.0 "Squeeze" released


    Quick download: multiarch i386/amd64 combined network installer

    Quote Originally Posted by DebianPress
    February 6th, 2011

    After 24 months of constant development, the Debian Project is proud to present its new stable version 6.0 (code name "Squeeze"). Debian 6.0 is a free operating system, coming for the first time in two flavours. Alongside Debian GNU/Linux, Debian GNU/kFreeBSD is introduced with this version as a technology preview.

    Debian 6.0 "Squeeze" introduces technical previews of two new ports to the kernel of the FreeBSD project using the known Debian/GNU userland: Debian GNU/kFreeBSD for the 32-bit PC (kfreebsd-i386) and the 64-bit PC (kfreebsd-amd64). These ports are the first ones ever to be included in a Debian release which are not based on the Linux kernel. The support of common server software is strong and combines the existing features of Linux-based Debian versions with the unique features known from the BSD world. However, for this release these new ports are limited; for example, some advanced desktop features are not yet supported.

    Another first is the completely free Linux kernel, which no longer contains problematic firmware files. These were split out into separate packages and moved out of the Debian main archive into the non-free area of our archive, which is not enabled by default. In this way Debian users have the possibility of running a completely free operating system, but may still choose to use non-free firmware files if necessary. Firmware files needed during installation may be loaded by the installation system; special CD images and tarballs for USB based installations are available too. More information about this may be found in the Debian Firmware wiki page.

    Furthermore, Debian 6.0 introduces a dependency based boot system, making system start-up faster and more robust due to parallel execution of boot scripts and correct dependency tracking between them. Various other changes make Debian more suitable for small form factor notebooks, like the introduction of the KDE Plasma Netbook shell.

    This release includes numerous updated software packages, such as:

    * KDE Plasma Workspaces and KDE Applications 4.4.5
    * an updated version of the GNOME desktop environment 2.30
    * the Xfce 4.6 desktop environment
    * LXDE 0.5.0
    * X.Org 7.5
    * OpenOffice.org 3.2.1
    * GIMP 2.6.11
    * Iceweasel 3.5.16 (an unbranded version of Mozilla Firefox)
    * Icedove 3.0.11 (an unbranded version of Mozilla Thunderbird)
    * PostgreSQL 8.4.6
    * MySQL 5.1.49
    * GNU Compiler Collection 4.4.5
    * Linux 2.6.32
    * Apache 2.2.16
    * Samba 3.5.6
    * Python 2.6.6, 2.5.5 and 3.1.3
    * Perl 5.10.1
    * PHP 5.3.3
    * Asterisk 1.6.2.9
    * Nagios 3.2.3
    * Xen Hypervisor 4.0.1 (dom0 as well as domU support)
    * OpenJDK 6b18
    * Tomcat 6.0.18
    * more than 29,000 other ready-to-use software packages, built from nearly 15,000 source packages.

    Debian 6.0 includes over 10,000 new packages like the browser Chromium, the monitoring solution Icinga, the package management frontend Software Center, the network manager wicd, the Linux container tools lxc and the cluster framework Corosync.
    Upgrade protip:
    • change your /etc/apt/sources.list to reflect "squeeze" instead of "lenny" and run apt-get update;
    • install the new kernel and boot into it
    • now run apt-get upgrade followed by apt-get dist-upgrade
    • finally, check that chainloading GRUB2 worked and commit to it by running upgrade-from-grub-legacy


    We also launched a complete site redesign, and achieved our goal of full Installer translation to several languages. And now it's time for bed.

  2. 3 Thanks to powdarrmonkey:

    dhicks (6th February 2011), j17sparky (7th February 2011), LosOjos (7th February 2011)

  3. #2

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,624
    Thank Post
    1,240
    Thanked 778 Times in 675 Posts
    Rep Power
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Xen Hypervisor 4.0.1 (dom0 as well as domU support)
    I don't suppose you know what Linux kernel version the new Debian uses? I suppose there's simply a vmlinuz-2.6.something-xen-686 kernel we can use for both the main physical machine and VMs?

  4. #3


    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the server room, with the lead pipe.
    Posts
    4,637
    Thank Post
    275
    Thanked 777 Times in 604 Posts
    Rep Power
    223
    Also ZFS support in 64bit About ZFS in Squeeze (2) Robert Millan's blog

    (no, no dedupe yet).

  5. Thanks to pete from:

    j17sparky (7th February 2011)

  6. #4

    powdarrmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Alcester, Warwickshire
    Posts
    4,859
    Thank Post
    412
    Thanked 777 Times in 650 Posts
    Rep Power
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I don't suppose you know what Linux kernel version the new Debian uses? I suppose there's simply a vmlinuz-2.6.something-xen-686 kernel we can use for both the main physical machine and VMs?
    Do I know? Heh

    The main kernel is 2.6.32 (package: linux-image-2.6.32-5-*), so you should be able to use linux-image-2.6.32-5-xen-*. However, two things to be aware of:

    1. in my tests, this kernel panicked on first boot. It's an old box though, so I just purged Xen altogether and haven't investigated further. I didn't do what the release notes say, and install the xen-linux-system-2.6-xen-amd64 package.
    2. there is a (disputed) bug with GRUB and Xen, to do with ordering of kernels in the menu. See the release notes (Chapter*5.*Issues to be aware of for squeeze) - summary: non-Xen kernels are given higher priority than Xen kernels in the menu, unless you alter it manually.

  7. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

    dhicks (7th February 2011)

  8. #5
    morganw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    816
    Thank Post
    46
    Thanked 132 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    39
    I take it that there is no squeeze volatile repository?
    I think I was using this on lenny to use clam-av.

  9. #6
    morganw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    816
    Thank Post
    46
    Thanked 132 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    39
    07/02/2011 15:06:40 Error: Starting VM 'UPGRADE' on 'xenserver01' - Using to parse /boot/grub/menu.lst - Traceback (most recent call last): - File "/usr/bin/pygrub", line 746, in ? - raise RuntimeError, "Unable to find partition containing kernel" - RuntimeError: Unable to find partition containing kernel

    Any ideas how to get around this, i'm running everything on xenserver. I guess the chain loading boot loader doesn't play nicely.

  10. #7

    powdarrmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Alcester, Warwickshire
    Posts
    4,859
    Thank Post
    412
    Thanked 777 Times in 650 Posts
    Rep Power
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by morganw View Post
    I take it that there is no squeeze volatile repository?
    I think I was using this on lenny to use clam-av.
    Volatile is being absorbed by the main stable release managers, so it will just be part of squeeze-updates. There's an announcement about it somewhere, I'll try and find it.


    edit: it's VUA76, [VUA 76-1] volatile replaced by new updates suite

  11. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

    morganw (7th February 2011)

  12. #8

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,624
    Thank Post
    1,240
    Thanked 778 Times in 675 Posts
    Rep Power
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    in my tests, this kernel panicked on first boot. It's an old box though, so I just purged Xen altogether and haven't investigated further. I didn't do what the release notes say, and install the xen-linux-system-2.6-xen-amd64 package.
    Was this an upgrade from Lenny? I'd probably aim to do a re-install on to the main OS drive and re-use the Xen virtual machines on the RAID array. I guess there's one way to find out if it works on not...

  13. #9


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,411
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Also ZFS support in 64bit About ZFS in Squeeze (2) Robert Millan's blog

    (no, no dedupe yet).


    Any sort of timescale for this powdarrmonkey? From my experiances I wish every OS would sign up to ZFS, its simplly brilliant.
    Also I was under the impression Suns licence wasnt compatible with GNU/GPL therefore we could never see ZFS in GNU linux? Is this feature limited to the BSD kernel? Also is this at kernel level or is it through FUSE?

  14. #10


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,411
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Support has also been added for the ext4 and Btrfs filesystems and — on the kFreeBSD architecture — the Zettabyte filesystem (ZFS)
    Just the BSD kernel then. FreeBSDs kernel, with Debians reposiaries etc, with Solaris's FS - not complaining at all! Shame its only v14 though?

  15. #11

    powdarrmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Alcester, Warwickshire
    Posts
    4,859
    Thank Post
    412
    Thanked 777 Times in 650 Posts
    Rep Power
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Was this an upgrade from Lenny? I'd probably aim to do a re-install on to the main OS drive and re-use the Xen virtual machines on the RAID array. I guess there's one way to find out if it works on not...
    Yes, and a hurried one at that. I haven't had time to investigate exactly what happened, the box needed to be back up ASAP and the Xen part isn't used at the moment, so I just bunged a vanilla kernel on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Any sort of timescale for this powdarrmonkey? From my experiances I wish every OS would sign up to ZFS, its simplly brilliant.
    Also I was under the impression Suns licence wasnt compatible with GNU/GPL therefore we could never see ZFS in GNU linux? Is this feature limited to the BSD kernel? Also is this at kernel level or is it through FUSE?
    I recall something about Sun changing the license so that it could be integrated, but I don't remember where (try Planet Debian). I might have mistaken it for integration into the kfreebsd installer though.

    As to timescale, I've no idea. You'll have to ask the kernel folks.

  16. #12

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,624
    Thank Post
    1,240
    Thanked 778 Times in 675 Posts
    Rep Power
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    The main kernel is 2.6.32 (package: linux-image-2.6.32-5-*), so you should be able to use linux-image-2.6.32-5-xen-*.
    Have I got this right: support for power management of SATA harddrives in Linux (i.e. the ability to "spin down" harddrives when not in use) requires ACPI support to be compiled in to the kernel? Am I right in thinking that the above kernel with Xen compiled in doesn't include ACPI support?

  17. #13

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,624
    Thank Post
    1,240
    Thanked 778 Times in 675 Posts
    Rep Power
    235
    Does anyone have any experience of getting Debian (or any other Linux distribution) to recognise a USB ADSL modem? I want to use a Linux box as a router / firewall, but it doesn't have a free PCI slot to fit an ADSL modem (although ti does have a PCI Express slot, if that's any help), so I was going to get a USB ADSL modem instead. Is the Alcatel SpeedTouch the only model / series of USB ADSL modems that have drivers available for Linux? Can I just get any cheap Alcatel SpeedTouch off eBay, or is there a particular model I should aim for?

  18. #14

    powdarrmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Alcester, Warwickshire
    Posts
    4,859
    Thank Post
    412
    Thanked 777 Times in 650 Posts
    Rep Power
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Have I got this right: support for power management of SATA harddrives in Linux (i.e. the ability to "spin down" harddrives when not in use) requires ACPI support to be compiled in to the kernel? Am I right in thinking that the above kernel with Xen compiled in doesn't include ACPI support?
    Is this #600241?

    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Does anyone have any experience of getting Debian (or any other Linux distribution) to recognise a USB ADSL modem? I want to use a Linux box as a router / firewall, but it doesn't have a free PCI slot to fit an ADSL modem (although ti does have a PCI Express slot, if that's any help), so I was going to get a USB ADSL modem instead. Is the Alcatel SpeedTouch the only model / series of USB ADSL modems that have drivers available for Linux? Can I just get any cheap Alcatel SpeedTouch off eBay, or is there a particular model I should aim for?
    I use a USB Speedtouch 330 with no trouble at all in Lenny or Squeeze, but it's only ADSL and I had to obtain the binary firmware for it. When the sticks finally get decent broadband, I'm probably going to use a Draytek Vigor 120 - it's the modem part of a consumer modem/router, so it just presents the raw line on PPPoE. You need a network port for it, therefore.

  19. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

    dhicks (10th February 2011)

  20. #15

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,624
    Thank Post
    1,240
    Thanked 778 Times in 675 Posts
    Rep Power
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Is this #600241?
    Parts for my new server are on the way, so I guess I'm going to put it all together and find out :-)

    I use a USB Speedtouch 330 with no trouble at all in Lenny or Squeeze, but it's only ADSL and I had to obtain the binary firmware for it.
    A Speedtouch 330 was 3 off eBay, so I've just bought one to see if it'll work or not. I'm aiming for an all-in-one ADSL gateway / firewall / filter / etc machine, without having to have yet another self-contained device plugged in. I assume the binary firmware is easy enough to come by?

    When the sticks finally get decent broadband, I'm probably going to use a Draytek Vigor 120 - it's the modem part of a consumer modem/router, so it just presents the raw line on PPPoE. You need a network port for it, therefore.
    Ooh, might try one of those, many thanks.
    Last edited by dhicks; 10th February 2011 at 01:19 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Debian 6.0 "Squeeze": Artwork Contest
    By powdarrmonkey in forum Graphics Requests
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16th June 2010, 01:54 PM
  2. Windows "Fix it" released
    By theeldergeek in forum Windows
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 13th May 2010, 06:17 AM
  3. [Debian] Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 "Lenny" released
    By powdarrmonkey in forum *nix
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15th February 2009, 02:46 PM
  4. Need a woking Mirror for Debian "Sarge"
    By ChrisH in forum *nix
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 26th April 2007, 04:03 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28th September 2006, 07:06 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •