+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Linux Email Filters in Technical; We are currently running MS Exchange 2003, and I have been asked to investigate implementing some sort of filtering system ...
    Thank Post

Linux Email Filters

We are currently running MS Exchange 2003, and I have been asked to investigate implementing some sort of filtering system which can scan incoming and outgoing email for nasties (inc keywords, phrases, attachments, etc).

Budget is limited to a one-time expense which should cover hardware.

Any recommendations for a system that will work with Exchange? I see a lot of references to anti-spam stuff but that is less of an issue for us at present. Other than Censornet we don't currently run any other open source devices so assume I know nothing about Linux! (Not far from the truth, I have just started looking at Ubuntu)

Cheers!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Linux Email Filters

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

I'd recommend upgrading the exchange to zimbra. It even comes with mailbox migration tools. but to allow MSOutlook access you need to pay - we use the opensource edition as we don't need outlook for students.
    Zimbra does spam filtering and even content filters if you wish. or you can put it in front of your exchange box as a relay - but that would be a waste of all the features it has over exchange:
    http://www.zimbra.com/

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,520 Posts

Has anyone actually priced this up against the same with exchange i.e if I needed 1000 users what would exchange cost versus Zimbra with outlook connection?

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

They do an educational price but I didn't check it out as we don't need it- the network also gives other advantages such as backup individual mailboxes - to restore one mailbox is possible for me, but a bit epic because its easyer to restore the entire server. The plus side is that 1800 mailboxes cost zero in licensing and just my time - but to be honest it would have taken me longer to fathom exchange. Also consider the zimbra can use other mail clients - just without the exchange/outlook features.

Thank Post

Busybub... before you buy anything and as you already have exchange I would install SP2 and implement IMF as I recommened in your other post here http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?nam...&p=71624#71624

Thank Post

Geoff, don't suppose you have links to a more idiot-proof guide? That one is way over my head at the moment, literally only just started on all this!

From what I understand, Postfix would route the mail between our Exchange box and external router, whilst MailScanner deals with attachments(?) and SpamAssassin would deal with the actual filtering. Presumably for outbound as well as inbound. Would that be correct?

Cyber, I may look into Zimbra in the future but I think this wouldn't be practical for us at the moment. SLT would hang me over all the disruption! Perhaps one day when I actually know what I'm doing with this stuff!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Geoff, don't suppose you have links to a more idiot-proof guide? That one is way over my head at the moment, literally only just started on all this!
    That's about as easy as it gets. Assuming you can read and follow instructions I don't see how you could have a problem with that guide. Even if you do trip up, a quick post here would probably clear up any confusion.

From what I understand, Postfix would route the mail between our Exchange box and external router, whilst MailScanner deals with attachments(?) and SpamAssassin would deal with the actual filtering. Presumably for outbound as well as inbound. Would that be correct?
    Yes.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread