+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
*nix Thread, Installation guide for Samba, Winbind, CUPS and PyKota in Technical; you need to remove the echo command....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    you need to remove the echo command.

Thank Post
    Done that but still get the Printing denied email....

IGNORE THE ABOVE

I found a typo it now all works :-)
    Last edited by ICTNUT; 20th March 2008 at 09:58 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What happens if you run the script manually?

Thank Post
    Tis alright Geoff, it's all working like a dream, quotas and all.

Thanks very much for all you help

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No problem, I got some ideas on how to improve my own setup along the way.

BTW, can you go thru the wiki article and expand points where you got stuck with more detail instructions. Obviously some improvements to the article are required.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    BTW, can you go thru the wiki article and expand points where you got stuck with more detail instructions. Obviously some improvements to the article are required.
    That would be the point of putting it on the wiki

Thank Post
    I have made full updates to my own internal wiki docs, i'll go through it tonight and update the edugeek wiki

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoS View Post
    Hey everyone.

I have just done a similar set up in Beaumont School, St. Albans, Hertfordshire.

We have two Pykota servers running CUPS on Ubuntu 6.10. (Two because we have a one way trusted cross forest policy). I have a complete set of notes installing all dependencies and setting up servers from a blank install of Ubuntu. If anyone is interested please email me. They are pretty much in my shorthand but list all files and changes necessary! I have spent weeks getting them perfect and working out the small glitches. We don’t actually have Kerberos set up on the two machines as with a cross forest policy running, it doesn’t normally authenticate on either domain. It is still however joined with samba in the ADS mode to our two windows2003 domain controllers (One on each domain).

I have also tried the CUPS 6.0 windows drivers and after a week or so decided against then. I get my Linux box's to distribute/push out the original PCL drivers from manufactures. this means no horrible issues if a certain printer doesn’t support postscript (i.e. Brother 5140's) and no horrible Ghost Script issues (GS takes postscript code and makes it into an image file for non postscript printers to print... It doesn’t however work very well with the CUPS windows drivers). You an actually use windows to configure this part!

I’m now working on some more advanced Pykota handling, such as sending jobs to different printers based on content or size, or alerting users when they print a ridiculously large file.

I’ve also included a self written PHP management tool that can use LDAP to manage pupils from AD. It allows searching, home folder viewing, Pykota quota management and password changing functionality over SSL. At the moment it is purely for our school and written to match our OU structure. If any one is interested in this also let me know as I have been meaning to make a generic version. (We decided to try and replace the non functional functionality of Viglen Classlink... and this is what we came up with!)

Ric_ is correct with his external policy. Ours auto creates users and assigns them a balance. There is a script in place to try and query there email address from AD... but to be honest it doesn’t yet work!

The work of a technician is never finished! :twisted:
    I can't find your mail !!!

Thank Post
    Awesomely useful guide... has anyone played with the ink based accounting in pykota?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 963 Posts
    thanks for the guide

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoS View Post
    I have also tried the CUPS 6.0 windows drivers and after a week or so decided against then. I get my Linux box's to distribute/push out the original PCL drivers from manufactures. this means no horrible issues if a certain printer doesn’t support postscript (i.e. Brother 5140's) and no horrible Ghost Script issues (GS takes postscript code and makes it into an image file for non postscript printers to print... It doesn’t however work very well with the CUPS windows drivers). You an actually use windows to configure this part!
    The above is invaluable advice... I only just spotted it, and moved 2 colour printers to using their PCL manufacturer drivers. We're using an accounting method which calls pkpgcounter directly, which was previously having to use GS to process the documents (and was taking ages). Now it all passes through insanely quickly, hopefully that will make the teachers happier!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345