+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
*nix Thread, FOG Server and Kernels in Technical; Hey ho! I'm just getting into using FOG. I tried booting via LAN one of our new Fizzbooks but alas- ...
    Thank Post

Question FOG Server and Kernels

Hey ho!

I'm just getting into using FOG. I tried booting via LAN one of our new Fizzbooks but alas- it isn't compatible with FOG. My guess is i need to update the Kernels on our Ubuntu machine for FOG but have no idea how to do it.

I booted from another PC into FOG and everything went fine.

Any help makes me happy!!

J
    x

Thank Post
    What does it do when you boot it into fog? I've yet to find a wholey incompatible machine, but I have had to add some arguements to the Kernel before to get one or two to boot correctly.

Updating the kernel can be done through fog its self. Can't remember which menu now, might be the fog settings one and look for 'kernel updates' on the left - should be quite self explanatory from there on in.

3. Thanks to maniac from:

marsdenprimary (3rd December 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    What does it do when you boot it into fog? I've yet to find a wholey incompatible machine, but I have had to add some arguements to the Kernel before to get one or two to boot correctly.

Updating the kernel can be done through fog its self. Can't remember which menu now, might be the fog settings one and look for 'kernel updates' on the left - should be quite self explanatory from there on in.
    Thanks for that- I've booted into the Fog management console, clicked on Kernel updates but nothing happens... This is all it says:

"This section allows you to update the Linux kernel which is used to boot the client computers. In FOG, this kernel holds all the drivers for the client computer, so if you are unable to boot a client you may wish to update to a newer kernel which may have more drivers built in. This installation process may take a few minutes, as FOG will attempt to go out to the internet to get the requested Kernel, so if it seems like the process is hanging please be patient."

If I could update the Kernel or tweak it (with clear instructions) then maybe it will start working...!

Jay
    xxx

Thank Post
    Souns like you are running behind a proxy but haven't entered the proxy details into the FOG settings. Once this is done that page show a range of kernels which you click to download.

6. Thanks to morganw from:

Thank Post
    or manually download the latest kitchen sink kernel and transfer it to your fog machine, then update your fizzbooks host info with the kernel name and location

8. Thanks to kevbaz from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by morganw View Post
    Souns like you are running behind a proxy but haven't entered the proxy details into the FOG settings. Once this is done that page show a range of kernels which you click to download.
    You beauty!! That worked x x

Thank Post
    I've just got the problem now after downloading and installing the latest kitchensink- the laptop still won't transfer an image over to fog. The laptop is a FIZZBOOK if that's any help...anyone come across a problem with imaging these before?

J
    x

Thank Post
    DONE IT! The solution was to download the Kernel-2.6.35.7.PS and place it into the TFTPBOOT > FOG > KERNEL folder and rename it to bzImage (case-sensitive). VOILA!

Thank Post
    If you want to switch kernels you can do this at a host level by setting 'Host Kernel:' to "fog/kernel/KernelName". The quick image option will always use the default kernel though so potentially you might have to actually setup a deployment task in the web interface for some computers which will use the 'Host Kernel' setting. I find it works best to use an older kernel as the default, then make per host exceptions to a newer one, but that's probably as most of our computers are a little old.

13. Thanks to morganw from:

marsdenprimary (6th December 2010)

Thank Post
    Cool stuff All I need to do now is try and get the host to join the domain automatically after imaging...after registering- is it wise to just leave the registered name as it is and then let FOG rename the host? Can FOG rename the host?? And then join it to our domain??

Thank Post
    If you've got the FOG service installed as part of the image then it will rename on the first boot and join the domain on the second. Yes it's easier to let FOG handle all of the hostnames rather than manually try to set them. If you need to rename a workstation just change it's name in FOG and then create a new deployment task, overkill just to change a name but doesn't require manual fiddling.

16. Thanks to morganw from:

marsdenprimary (6th December 2010)

Thank Post
    I tried this...it does rename it but doesn't join it to the Active Directory domain. Is there something I'm missing? I've put all the details in except the OU- think this could be preventing it from working?

Thank Post
    You can check the log file (normally C:\fog.log) is see what is going on. If it doesn't attempt to join then check that you've got the Active Directory settings and the 'join' checkbox set for the host, if it is attempting and failing it's usually a bug causing the format of the username to be wrong or the account used to join the domain doesn't have permission to create or modify computer objects.

Most of the issues are covered here.

19. Thanks to morganw from:

marsdenprimary (14th December 2010)

Thank Post
    Hey folks!!

I've managed to get my FOG server sorted now and I have succesfully imaged a machine. However- if I try to deploy it to more than ONE machine I receive a UDP Checksum error... what's that??

Any advice would be great x x x

Thank Post
    Would that be two unicasts or one multicast with two clients?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast