+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Jolicloud: "The Anywhere OS" in Technical; Link: Jolicloud Jolicloud 1.1 is an upgrade of Jolicloud 1.0 that resynchronizes our back-end operating system with the Long Term ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,319 Times in 904 Posts
    Blog Entries

Jolicloud: "The Anywhere OS"

Link: Jolicloud

Jolicloud 1.1 is an upgrade of Jolicloud 1.0 that resynchronizes our back-end operating system with the Long Term Support (LTS) provided by Ubuntu. The previous version of Jolicloud was synced on Jaunty (9.04), with an upgrade of selected packages from Lucid (10.04). This upgrade will provide a three year maintenance update, up to April 2013.
    I haven't had the time to experiment with this but it does look interesting.

Currently it is supported in English and French only but the plan to expand this.

The screenshots look friendly [maybe more friendly than the Ubuntu it is based on?] If I can spare the hardware I think I will install it and give it a go [Like Ubuntu it can be installed alongside Windows and be installed in a similar way. I will be experimenting on a machine that I can easily rebuild]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    having a play with it myself on a old laptop. it looked pretty cool on the chrome web version.
    I'm struggling tho

laptop: please connect your device to the internet
    me: how do i get to the proxy settings since you hid most of the desktop

found out how to get a terminal window (alt+F1) and application launcher (alt+f2). internet works in terminal as I used ubuntu server rescue mode to hack the settings into /etc/profile and some other files.
    Last edited by browolf; 24th November 2010 at 10:30 AM.

Thank Post
    It looks really nice... had a quick go on it, I am failing to see what exactly happens on the cloud other than replication of settings? It has some cool apps like dropbox which uses the cloud.

Maybe I have my definition of cloud wrong!

Thank Post
    I have installed this on a pc at home, it didn't require any drivers for the obscure usb WiFi dongle I use and connected much easier than the XP and Win7 computers! It does look quite cool, left my 9 year old to test it and he seems happy.

Thank Post
    Its pretty good. Been using it on my netbook for a while. Fast, responsive and perfectly suited for a netbook.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    It looks really nice... had a quick go on it, I am failing to see what exactly happens on the cloud other than replication of settings? It has some cool apps like dropbox which uses the cloud.

Maybe I have my definition of cloud wrong!

cloud is just an external place where stuff happens. Here the applications Jolicloud offers are all local but with cloud stored content. JC seems to be mainly a front-end on a customised version of ubuntu.

Thank Post
    just to point out that the menu button next to the windows key will bring up a menu for standard application launching. Personally i have jolicloud because it seems like a massive mash up for differnt ubuntu mixes which means compiling anything or getting latest packages eg vlc is impossible. Its a muddle of 8.10 , 9.04, 9.10 and 10.04

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread