+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Squid won't handle more than x sessions to a site in Technical; Here is a funny one, have a Fedora server running Squid in transparent proxy mode. It uses 'chains'? to foward ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries

Squid won't handle more than x sessions to a site

Here is a funny one, have a Fedora server running Squid in transparent proxy mode. It uses 'chains'? to foward from port 80 internally to the proxy. The issue is that with certain sites it can only handle exactly x number of sessions then fails for the next client. Unfortunatly the site is used for class lots of testing and x < class size.

I have looked through the squid.conf and there are no session limits set, it could be a bandwidth constraint but it seems odd that it would present at exactly x users each time. Addidionally ISA handles it fine as another site so I am guessing that it is a misconfiguration or limitation(unlikely) of Squid. I think that the site may use SSL for certain parts incase this could effect it.

Any helpful hints?
    Last edited by SYNACK; 9th November 2010 at 06:49 AM.

Thank Post
    If you are using transparent proxy, the SSL bits must be going elsewhere. Maybe that's got something to do with it?
    Is there any connecting factor between all these sites? Sometimes sites upstream get tetchy when all your traffic appears to come from one IP - definitely seen this where it's an LA provided site and the school in question is on a separate ISP.

3. Thanks to tom_newton from:

SYNACK (9th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thats a point I did not check the chains for 443, the site itself should be fine as it is designed to be used by schools with single IPs, unfortunately it is not very fault tolerant and unless you are proxied you can never fit a whole class on a NZ grade internet link (<- nicest way I can put it).

Its just the one site that is the issue but as it is mandated for testing not having it working causes issues. I had not even thought of the fact that SSL based traffic would not be possible to proxy so I'm assuming that squid just passes it through untouched. Any likelyhood of an SSL session limit stored somewhere weird. My main area is pretty much Windows so although I know enough to find out whats running and look for the basics anything above that is over my head for the time being.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread