+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
*nix Thread, How to install GUI software on headless OS in Technical; Originally Posted by jamesb If the program is to be installed on that machine, then why was the installer built ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    If the program is to be installed on that machine, then why was the installer built as a GUI?
    Inexperience, inappropriate tools and a framework that tries to know best. Disastrous combination.

Thank Post
    Give the guy a break. If he wants to create a modified vMA with a GUI he can take CentOS install the management packages for vMWare, set it up like vMA, install the GUI packages and then install his software

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jesus H! Why are you lot being so dense here?! The guy specifically states that he has created an application which has a GUI installer. He does not say it is itself a GUI app. The latter question is a shortened version of the full description given. It is simple logic!!

Now, I propose that unless you can give an answer that hasn't already been given, leave the guy alone.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Jesus H! Why are you lot being so dense here?! The guy specifically states that he has created an application which has a GUI installer. He does not say it is itself a GUI app. The latter question is a shortened version of the full description given. It is simple logic!!

Now, I propose that unless you can give an answer that hasn't already been given, leave the guy alone.
    If it's not a GUI app, then the best method will be to work a new installer which doesn't require a GUI.

However I still don't see that installing an app on vMA is the best approach to this, so I'm trying to determine what the purpose is in order to see if there's another approach.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    If it's not a GUI app, then the best method will be to work a new installer which doesn't require a GUI.

However I still don't see that installing an app on vMA is the best approach to this, so I'm trying to determine what the purpose is in order to see if there's another approach.
    Why is it not the best approach? Say the OP connects to the vMA unit from various locations, and different machines? This would mean they'd always have the app available. If they didn't install it on there, they'd be stuck installing it all over the place. Why not keep all the management tools in a single place?

All installing it on a third party machine would do is add complexity where there need not be any.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Jesus H! Why are you lot being so dense here?!
    Who the **** are you calling?!

It clearly says in his first post:

1) how do you run a GUI installer
    2) how do you run a GUI

One of those is a typo, but how do you know which one?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Who the **** are you calling?!

It clearly says in his first post:

1) how do you run a GUI installer
    2) how do you run a GUI

One of those is a typo, but how do you know which one?

Sorry but it is simple reading comprehension! The first block of text is outlining the details of the issue at hand. The little question at the end is a simplification of the prior information!

Why would he specify that he wanted to use a GUI installer otherwise? It'd just mean he wanted to install a GUI app, something that wouldn't require the specifics that it was a GUI installer.

Hence my saying logic!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanit View Post
    I developed one software which uses GUI(java swings) to install it.Now I want to install it on headless Linux(VMware vMA).
    Do you mean you want to install your application on a VM running on that headless vMA server? KVM and Xen let you specify that the VM's video output be presented as a VNC server, no GUI needed (for instance, I'm currently running a Windows XP VM on a text-only Ubuntu 10.10 server, connecting to the Windows VM via VNC). I imagine vMA might also use VNC - try connecting to your vMA server with a VNC client and see what happens.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Localzuk is right.
    App uses GUI for installation and it is also GUI based.Actually our app is multiOS app and most of OS are GUI based. so we developed GUI based app. Now we have to install in on headless server.

So my question is how can I install my app on headless server.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanit View Post
    So my question is how can I install my app on headless server.
    When you say "headless", do you mean a server with no GUI installed, just a command line, or just no graphics card / monitor? If you just have a server with no graphics card or monitor then you just VNC / RDP / whatever to the server and install and run you application as normal. If you've got a command-line only OS install then your GUI-based application isn't going to work on that, unless you can get your application itself to present the GUI via VNC (there's bound to be a VNC server library available for Java, it might be worth a try - or can you just start up a Java application and tell it to use VNC?).

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12