Not asking a question - just recording for posterity I guess. Can't find much on this subject on the web, so hope someone finds it of interest .....

I've been setting up an rsync server to allow some of our laptop users to backup across our VPN. This has all gone smoothly so far, except for one user, who is getting a message that a module could not be found (i.e. he can't authenticate against rsync) - but only when connected via the VPN. It works fine across the LAN.

The error is:

@ERROR: Unknown module 'Fredbackup'
rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at /home/lapo/packaging/rsync-3.0.7-1/src/rsync-3.0.7/main.c(1506) [sender=3.0.7]

I've tracked it down to an oddity with how the environment variable %username% works if you've got a capital in the Windows username.

So this guy uniquely for us, and I've no idea why, has a domain account with an initial capital letter, called Fred.

If I sit at the (XP) client machine while it's logged in to the domain and type echo %username% it comes back with: fred

If reboot the client and log into it while it's disconnected and type echo %username% it comes back with: Fred

As I am using %username% in the batch command that runs rsync on the Windows client, this is causing my authentication problem.