+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Open source software in Technical; Over the last year I have not been well and have relied on equipment to help me and I would ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Open source software

Over the last year I have not been well and have relied on equipment to help me and I would just like to say that Linux has to be the best OS ever I know it is not main stream and in the environment that the schools i work in would never use it as Main PCs but as a server supplying me with services. On one ubuntu server bot I have zentyal Zentyal formerly Ebox installed for storage also looking at putting the voip on it as well (future development) I also have fog for deploying and updating images on network and then i have OCS Inventory NG and GLPI - Gestionnaire libre de parc informatique for fault tracking and knowledge base as well as inventory and loans. all this is free and does not cost a penny I don't know if anyone else uses any of these I know some can be put on windows boxes but never seems to work as well and the box it installed on is nearly 6 years old and not even designed as a server but works like a dream.
    Last edited by alonebfg; 12th September 2010 at 11:30 AM.

Thank Post
    Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you've not been well

Glad to hear of your good experiences with Linux and whilst I would disagree with your "it is not main stream" I would agree that the products you've mentioned are fantastic examples of what open source software can do.

I work on a Linux workstation every day, I work on Linux servers every day, and I wouldn't change that for the world.

Hope you're feeling better.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry By main stream I mean I work in primary schools and teachers and students don't find Linux as easy to get on with and as a lot of software for them is designed for windows only ( i know it is changing active inspire supports Linux for whiteboard) most of the software use is windows based. and that is what most people are used to and change is very hard. hopefully more designer's will design it for Linux and then it wont be a problem.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread