+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Ubuntu server with Postfix / SpamAssassin / Amavis - mail gateway in Technical; Hey all, Multiple points in this message. First, I have been working on an Ubuntu / Postfix / SpamAssassin / ...

Thank Post

Smile Ubuntu server with Postfix / SpamAssassin / Amavis - mail gateway

Hey all,

Multiple points in this message.

First, I have been working on an Ubuntu / Postfix / SpamAssassin / Amavis box as a mail gateway, and feel like it's functional. I'm just waiting for our DNS MX record to update. If anyone would like any tips, I'd be glad to help (granted, there are a million tutorials out there, but this has still taken me days to do).

Which brings me to my question: I have this mail gateway configured as I want it, running on a low-end test box. I want to convert it over to a RAID setup, and possibly to 2 separate boxes for redundant mail gateways. What's the best way to do this? I can, of course, set up raid on ubuntu (new PC) and reinstall everything. Is there a better way?

Next: once I have a production box up - what's the best way to backup this server? I can take an image of the drive for starters, but would also want to copy all the config files out of /etc/postfix, amavis, spamassassin...right?

Finally, does anyone recommend - or say to avoid - doing general updates on Ubuntu server boxes as needed?

As you can tell, I'm pretty new to Linux, but I'm learning quickly. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
    Damian

Thank Post
    you should always be updating on the box as this will install security updates - which you'll want on a web facing box.

As for moving to raid, reinstall onto the new box is certainly an option. I'd take a look at virtualisation options first though and maybe give them a dry run. You could p2v the test box into KVM or virtualbox

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread