+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Navaho / Exchange Server mixed environments in Technical; Does anyone have any suggestions for running a mixed Navaho / Exchange Server environment? Exchange server is 2010 in a ...

Thank Post

Navaho / Exchange Server mixed environments

Does anyone have any suggestions for running a mixed Navaho / Exchange Server environment? Exchange server is 2010 in a new 2008R2 AD environment, Navaho is v3.8.70-teamcat.

Looking to migrate from Navaho to Exchange. Office users first, then staff and pupils.

Windows Server currently in standalone testbed environment, but won't be able to test with Navaho box except in production environment on day of migration. Seems that there are some hooks in Exchange and Navaho that will allow email accounts to be split between the two servers.

Thanks

Ian

Thank Post
    With mail systems I would suggest migrating all users in one go. Preferably at the end of the summer holidays like the last week.

My reasoning for this is that running two end point mail systems for the same domain just doesn’t work. And Navaho and exchange are both designed as end point mail systems.

You could set up exchange with a forwarding sub domain or just a new domain but this will case confusion with the users having different email addresses. E.g some users with me@school.sch.uk on exchange and me@navaho.school.sch.uk on navaho or me@newschooldomain.co.uk.

There are free tools that can migrate mail direct from Navaho to exchange using IMAP. One I have used in the past several times is IMAPcopy IMAPcopy

To do an IMAP copy you must know all users passwords on both mail systems. This requires all of the Navaho passwords to be reset (CSV) and every one to have a second password for exchange (don’t know how to do that but some one will).

Things like contacts and calendar are a bit harder to migrate and will require end users to export from Navaho in CSV.

AS for testing Exchange if doing a direct replacement of Navaho, I would suggest setting it up and testing with fake emails using telnet. See XFOR: Telnet to Port 25 to Test SMTP Communication

Then you know its processing mail how you want it. And finally when the time is right change the exchange to have the old Navaho box IP address.

Drop the exchange in first before doing IMAP copy so no mail goes missing during the switch over.

Key to success is thorough testing and checking prior to the switch.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by MicrodigitUK; 16th June 2010 at 10:31 PM.

3. Thanks to MicrodigitUK from:

ianh64 (17th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Correction in reference to IMAPcopy you don’t have to have a second password on exchange (Iwas thinking of Zimbra) you can just use the administrator to connect to IMAP apparently by doing the following.

Specify a username in the following format:
    YourDomain/AdminUserName/UserMailbox
    • YourDomain is your domain,
    • AdminUserName is an Exchange Server user name with administrator rights to the
    user's mailbox that you wish to migrate, and
    • UserMailbox is the name of the user to migrate.
    Write in the password bit of IMAPcopy config script the password for the administrator account.

Thank Post
    Thought that I had replied to this but cannot see the update to here we go again...probably didn't hit post - doh!

Thanks for the info on the migration tools. There are only a 4 or so mailboxes (most important ones) on Navaho that initially need migrating and these all (should be) Outlook via imap users. I had thought about migrating by archiving to a pst then moving the pst across to their new PC/Outlook setup. But a migration tool that moves from Navaho to Exchange Server may be a better solution keeping things all in one place for continuity.

As for splitting email accounts, I had hoped to use the 'Navaho Secondary Site Mode' which apparently forwards emails received by non matched local users to a smart host - which could hopefully be Exchange Server. But cannot find information regarding configuring smart hosts. Also thinking about Exchange as master email server, then somehow configuring some connectors to feed the Navaho server. Most user accounts are internal email so it would not be a great issue if we lost internet email access to these for a short period of time.

Thank Post
    Secondary site mode sounds like the way you want to go (I was trying to do some investigation into Navaho TeamCAT but couldn't find anything to assist). Does Navaho also have the ability to rewrite addresses? We have a sort of similar situation with 2 Exchange organisations (one RBC, the other our own). For your situation, I'd look at the following:

Set Exchange as Authoritative for domain
    Set Navaho to secondary site mode with smarthost to Exchange server

That should allow external to send to navaho which then redirects on non-matched local to the Exchange server, and so Navaho users to send to exchange users as well. The interesting bit is the Exchange server to Navaho - as the Exchange server would be authoritative, it would reject any local recipient not in the Exchange organisation. This is where the rewrite and an Exchange routing agent would come in.

The idea is:
    Exchange user sends email to user@local.domain.com
    Exchange routing agent sees mail coming from local mailbox with @local.domain.com address and rewrites to @local.domain.com.false
    Email then routes out via SMTP to the Navaho Box
    Navaho box has @local.domain.com.false setup as a domain it handles, with a rule to rewrite to @local.domain.com - this bit I don't know if it's possible, can't find the relevant info on the Navaho
    Navaho box then processes the email as a local email
    If the user is non matched, then gets sent to Exchange box, which delivers locally if user exists (or rejects if they don't - this doesn't hit the routing agent as it's not from local mailbox)

It seems a long way for Exchange to Exchange mail to go - but it also means that it hits any filtering you have on the Navaho box (which is why I looked into this for our exchange org). How do you write the Exchange Routing agent - I started from this point HOW TO:Rewrite the To address in Transport Agents on a Hub Server - Akash Blogging...... - Site Home - MSDN Blogs and developed from here. As already mentioned, I've got this setup, so have an agent written, if you'd like to test it and see whether it works for you, let me know (it should only affect your Exchange server, so you can create a test user and not damage your currently running system).

7. Thanks to Willott from:

ianh64 (21st June 2010)

Thank Post
    Thankfully I won't have to worry about emails being exchanged between Navaho and exchange. After initial migration, Exchange will host office and Navaho the teaching staff and students which currently, do not need email communication with office staff. Teaching staff are only very occasional email users - soon to change with new system - only 2 teachers seem to have logged into their email this year, one in March! and the other is the ICT co-ordinator who will be getting an exchange email address in the first phase so will have exchange email access via owa.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread