+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
*nix Thread, If you were to make the move from Windows to Linux/open source..... in Technical; Originally Posted by Disease What would you start with first clients or servers? Servers as already mentioned, i run my ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Disease View Post
    What would you start with first clients or servers?
    Servers as already mentioned, i run my DHCP and a few file servers from samba plus also my whole backbone uses linux as I am using KVM for Virtulisation.

What would you do about all services you offer through windows i.e AD, ISA, Backup Exec, Email and print management?
    As already mentioned probly use zimbra for email. have a test server currently setup and debating the pros and cons of moving away from exchange.
    Ad I would leave on windows as its just easier in my opinion.
    Don't use ISA already have 2 squid proxies for load balancing.

What about running all the windows programs you have at the moment, SIMS CS4 etc?
    i am currently experimenting with runnings sims using wine but so far i really havn't had a chance to look.

I was posed the question by a teacher, have we considered moving to a complete linux setup, somethingI have not until now considered, but wit buget constraints etc it migt be worth looking at so any feedback would be useful.
    This is only going to work if you are good at linux otherwise problems could arise

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Number6 View Post
    Having looked at the website it does look a pretty good package.

And the open source free version is adequate compared to Exchange?
    We've been running the open source version of Zimbra for ~3 years, and the only things we've found lacking are: online backups, which can be emulated using LVM [ Open Source Edition Backup Procedure - Zimbra :: Wiki ]; individual mailbox backup/restore, which can't, but is of little overall importance to us since our policies dictate that we don't delete e-Mail until it's six months old; PGP/GPG encryption/validation, which the paid network version doesn't have either; and the ability to vote on Zimbra's development direction, which network customers get.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As an aside to what Irazmus mentions about mailbox backups on Zimbra, it is possible to do it in the open-source edition via the command-line tool zmmailbox, so can be scripted.

Code:
    zmmailbox -z -m fred@example.com getRestURL .//?fmt=tgz > /backups/fred@example.com.tgz

We do mailbox backups every weekday night using the above method, and filesystem structure via Rsync at weekends.

4. Thanks to webman from:

Irazmus (26th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    As an aside to what Irazmus mentions about mailbox backups on Zimbra, it is possible to do it in the open-source edition via the command-line tool zmmailbox, so can be scripted.

Code:
    zmmailbox -z -m fred@example.com getRestURL .//?fmt=tgz > /backups/fred@example.com.tgz

We do mailbox backups every weekday night using the above method, and filesystem structure via Rsync at weekends.
    I stand corrected.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Is Karoshi all web-based now or is there still a GUI? Is it based on the LTS version(s) of Ubuntu?
    Yes its web-based only and yes its based on the LTS.

With regard to email, at the moment you have a choice between Squirrelmail and Egroupware for frontends that a built into the disk, but as it is a proper mail server you can choose whatever frontend you like, even outlook.

7. Thanks to linuxgirlie from:

webman (28th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    i am currently experimenting with runnings sims using wine but so far i really havn't had a chance to look.
    How far did you get?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxgirlie View Post
    Karoshi on the servers, which is Ubuntu Based and Ubuntu on the Clients.
    Can you point me to a comprehensive admin guide for Karoshi please? I can't make head or tail out of parts of it. In particular it won't let me on the internet because it can't find a DNS server (or so it says) but it itself is a DNS server?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,692 Times in 2,282 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    What else does Exchange offer?
    Unified Messaging, clustering of databases and access roles, Outlook Anywhere RPC over https, SMS syncing and device wipeing for up to date implementations of ActiveSync and the most feature complete webmail interface I have encountered.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    How far did you get?
    I didn't really have a chance to look into it further. But i need to mount a local folder e.g /sims to the server so that wine can mount it as an S: drive becuase as far as i can see wine will not connect the drive to a server directly.

Thank Post
    I didn't really have a chance to look into it further. But i need to mount a local folder e.g /sims to the server so that wine can mount it as an S: drive becuase as far as i can see wine will not connect the drive to a server directly.
    Ok... I got a bit further than that (not much though). I set up the S:\ drive and was able to start the installer but it fell over looking for connect.ini. I was able to browse to the file but it wouldn't recognise it.

But I've just remembered that when I was installing sims on a windows 7 machine once it got a bit funny about connect.ini so I just copied it to c:\windows - maybe that will work with wine? I'm going to have to try it after half term
    Last edited by Batman; 28th May 2010 at 08:56 PM.

Thank Post
    Ok... I got a bit further than that (not much though). I set up the S:\ drive and was able to start the installer but it fell over looking for connect.ini. I was able to browse to the file but it wouldn't recognise it.
    how did you mange that? i am in tomorrow and have nothing else todo might have a play!!

Thank Post
    how did you mange that? i am in tomorrow and have nothing else todo might have a play!!
    Pretty much as you described... I mounted the s:\ drive in linux to a location like /media/sims or something and then configured wine to present this directory as the s:\ drive.

You should then be able to access the s:\ drive using /home/<username>/.wine/dosdevices/s: I think.

Before you run the installer you probably need to install .net framework. I'm pretty sure I managed it but I don't remember how.

Thank Post
    Pretty much as you described... I mounted the s:\ drive in linux to a location like /media/sims or something and then configured wine to present this directory as the s:\ drive.

You should then be able to access the s:\ drive using /home/<username>/.wine/dosdevices/s: I think.
    thats the bit i cant seem to get to work how ever i try. I can open up the address by typing in "smb://domain.internal;tglenn@192.168.112.47/sims/" but it will not mount to a folder. I might just be doing it wrong!

Thank Post
    thats the bit i cant seem to get to work how ever i try. I can open up the address by typing in "smb://domain.internal;tglenn@192.168.112.47/sims/" but it will not mount to a folder. I might just be doing it wrong!
    If you're able to browse to it then you should be able to mount it. It's got to be either a syntax or credentials issue when you use the mount command.

I'm at home right now so I can't tell you exactly what I did but it's along the lines of "sudo mount -t smbfs -o credentials=/<path>/.credentials //<servername>/<sharename> /media/sims" (I use a .credentials file but you can use -u=<username> and it will then prompt for a password. Apparently cifs is supposed to be better but smbfs worked so I stuck with that.

Thank Post
    If you're able to browse to it then you should be able to mount it. It's got to be either a syntax or credentials issue when you use the mount command.

I'm at home right now so I can't tell you exactly what I did but it's along the lines of "sudo mount -t smbfs -o credentials=/<path>/.credentials //<servername>/<sharename> /media/sims" (I use a .credentials file but you can use -u=<username> and it will then prompt for a password. Apparently cifs is supposed to be better but smbfs worked so I stuck with that.
    ahh ill give that a go tomorrow

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123