+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Times Online Says: Why Ubuntu excites me more than Windows or Macintosh: Hugo Rifkind in Technical; ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 886 Posts
    Blog Entries

Times Online Says: Why Ubuntu excites me more than Windows or Macintosh: Hugo Rifkind

Link: Why Ubuntu excites me more than Windows or Macintosh - Times Online

The article is dated at April 28th so I am a little slow finding this.

However I don't think that Hugo has done the Ubuntu cause a lot of favours with this article.

This was an opportunity to present a well written article: An article which is not jokey in tone:

...But then came Windows Vista, the OS world’s answer to the Austin Allegro..
    which would inform the novice Linux user of the benefits of using Linux without simply running down the opposition for the sake of it:

...I gather that Windows 7 is perfectly serviceable, but I wouldn’t go back. I wouldn’t see the point. It would be like moving into a generic hotel room, when you’re used to having your own house...
    ...Obviously, it’d be nice if Apple would do something about that. Although I doubt they ever will. Because if they did, why would anybody ever buy a Mac?
    And don't tell your audience to go away just as you are trying to get them hooked at or near the start of the article:

...Ubuntu is an operating system. If you don’t know what one of those is, Google it, and then come back...
    And don't tell them to go away for a second time further into the article [or use language some might feel is too strong for the target audience]

...Ubuntu is a Debian-based distribution of Linux. What does that mean? Buggered if I know. If you do, and you are feeling a powerful urge, already, to recommend a different version of Linux, then let me stop you right there. Is it easier to use? Is it prettier? No? Well, not interested. Move along...
    Still I suppose any publicity is good publicity and the way that I read this is that overall the tone is positive toward Linux/Ubuntu.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hate most of the so-called 'IT' journos such as Rifkind, Bailey, and that idiot Cellan-Jones. They know nowt. Even worse when they attach great importance to what that fat twerp Fry thinks about the latest Apple itoy.

The best journalist IT-wise was Guy Kewney. RIP Guy.

Thank Post
    I first tried Linux about five years ago, and it was a disaster, for all the reasons that Ubuntu is wonderful. The way it used to work, you see, was that you’d spend hours downloading the thing, and burning it in the right sort of image, and then you’d stick it in your CD drive
    So the same as it is now then yeah? Idiot. I stopped reading computer mags/articles when i had passed the journalists in knowledge and inteligence, age 6 iirc

They do make me laugh mind; my first computer was a Amstrad CPC 6128, i say my but really it was my dads as i was only 2, yet at age 2 i knew that typing Run"... would launch a game. Is that too complicated for you Hugo? Well evidently it is if you think that downloading and burning a CD is a chore.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, isn't Hugo a typical journo-berk? He'd be better off with an iPad by the sounds of it. Here, Hugo, Hugo - shiny, shiny...!!
    Last edited by tech_guy; 10th May 2010 at 09:07 AM.

5. Thanks to tech_guy from:

painejake (10th May 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread