+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Problem getting Kubuntu Edgy working on Advent Laptop in Technical; Hello! I have an old Advent 6414 laptop and I have previously had Kubuntu Breezy 5.10 installed on it which ...

Thank Post

Problem getting Kubuntu Edgy working on Advent Laptop

Hello!

I have an old Advent 6414 laptop and I have previously had Kubuntu Breezy 5.10 installed on it which worked flawlessly. All power management features worked fine including suspend to disk and there was even a plugged in at the mains or battery monitor in the task bar.

I recently tried to install Kubuntu Edgy 6.10 on it first via the LiveCD and also tried to update from breezy and thats where the problems begin! For some bizarre reason it wants to go into suspend mode every 2 minutes which is very annoying! I have noticed it's because it is loading APM instead of ACPI!

I have recently reinstalled breezy and noticed that when I do a ps -ef | grep acpi I get an entry come back. So it definately has ACPI running on Breezy, when I do ps -ef | grep apm nothing comes back.

However when I issue these commands on Edgy APM is running and ACPI isnt. I've tried the command line switches noapm acpi which does stop it going into suspend mode every 2 minutes but then it doesnt suspend to disk or shutdown without hitting the power button!!!

Very annoying to say the least! I would really like to get Edgy installed and working on my laptop. I recently tried Kanotix as an alternative to Kubuntu which worked flawlessly but I would prefer to use Kubuntu for continuity.

Can anyone help me get ACPI working on Edgy or point me in the right direction?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Problem getting Kubuntu Edgy working on Advent Laptop

edit /etc/modules and comment out the line listing the apm module.

Thank Post

Okey dokey will try that later on but will this enable ACPI to run correctly allowing the suspend to disk and shutdown operations to work properly? Issuing noapm on the boot options command line resolved the 2min suspend issue!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Presuming the ACPI support of your laptop is functional, yes. If it isn't (try a bios update) then it'll probably lock-up and/or crash.

Thank Post

I know that ACPI support is functional on the laptop because Kanotix (the latest version) worked flawlessly and so did Kubuntu Breezy and Hoary. I have already looked into updating the BIOS but there is no real reason to update it if it is working is there? I believe the problem to be with Kubuntu Edgy and Dapper as well. This is a pile of shite in my opinion. I've wasted 2 days trying to figure this out!

I dont think the laptop has the issue as Windows XP power management components didnt have any issue with it!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

ACPI support is a function of the Linux kernel. A stock kernel complies with the published ACPI standards. Some Hardware may not. Additionally, some distro's hack around the ACPI support to make it work better for some systems. These hacks are generally not as well tested as the mainline kernel is. Proceed at your own risk.

Thank Post

Ahhh I see. So The ACPI is supported via the kernel? Is this why every other distro ive tried: Suse, Mandrake, Mandriva, Fedora, Red hat, Knoppix all suffered from this same problem? Because it had to have the ACPI module compiled into the kernel?

If this is the case then why have some distros such as Mandrake 9.1 and Kubuntu Breezy worked flawlessly (and I know they are not hacks) just using the ACPI module! (because I can see it running in the process list)

Can't I just get hold of a release of Edgy that has the ACPI enabled by default instead of APM? Would make life much much easier?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Because it had to have the ACPI module compiled into the kernel?
    Yes, this seems likely.

If this is the case then why have some distros such as Mandrake 9.1 and Kubuntu Breezy worked flawlessly (and I know they are not hacks) just using the ACPI module! (because I can see it running in the process list)
    Either they've patched the kernel to support the laptop directly. Or they've included some generic patch that works on your laptop. Or they've used a kernel release that doesn't have a problem with whatever ACPI quirks your laptop has.

Can't I just get hold of a release of Edgy that has the ACPI enabled by default instead of APM? Would make life much much easier?
    You're free to compile your own kernel with whatever compile time configuration options work for your hardware.

Thank Post

Finally resolved this laptop power-management issue by editing /boot/grub/menu.lst and editing all the entries that load different kernels inserting the options 'noapm acpi=force'

Now I get a funky ac mains icon or a dunky battery icon on the taskbar! yay! Spent some time installing the mamoth amount of goodies onto it using ubuntuguide and now i'm ready to face the world with my kubuntu powered lappie once more!

Didnt need to risk shagging my laptop by re-flashing the BIOS and turning it into a heavy paperweight or wasting hours trying to recompile the debian kernel from source! What an overbloated idea that was!

BONUS!

If anyone else has this issue it's worth remembering to put the options near the front of the command line as I have had situations whereby they dont work if you put them at towards the end?!?? Linux can be a pain in the arse sometimes but once it's all installed working, the next app is only an apt-get install away!

Well you can probably tell from this post that i'm happy it's resolved and after wasting a few days on it can you blame me!

My Faith is restored in Linux once more!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread