+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
*nix Thread, KVM Virtualisation from Red Hat in Technical; I wasn't sure which forum to put this in, but I stuck with *nix as Im looking for answers from ...
  1. #1
    apaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Kings Norton
    Posts
    283
    Thank Post
    54
    Thanked 106 Times in 87 Posts
    Rep Power
    36

    KVM Virtualisation from Red Hat

    I wasn't sure which forum to put this in, but I stuck with *nix as Im looking for answers from *nix guys and girls.

    Red Hat have said for at least a year that their virtualisation future will be with KVM. I've heard that XEN will be deprecated in Red Hat 6.

    Any one using KVM virtualisation from Red Hat 5.4 ? Whats your thoughts , management tools any good?

    Thanks

    Andy

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    33
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    I am very interested in trying it out, and probably will in the next few days. I will report back after I do.

    Mostly interested in the memory deduplication of 2.6.32 kernal.

  3. Thanks to benaus from:

    apaton (19th January 2010)

  4. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Hedge End, Southampton
    Posts
    56
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    I'd be interested in hearing people's experiences too - currently using alot of ESXi which works well but it extremely limited feature wise. XenServer adds in the extra features but doesn't seem have as wide a range of OS support as ESXi, or at least makes the OSes harder to provision.

    KVM could be the answer, downloading 5.4 now so will give it a shot at some point.

  5. #4

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,817
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Rep Power
    350
    we use KVM on ubuntu, works very well, havn't had a problem with it, not quite as easy to set up as ESXI, but it comes as a optional extra when you install ubuntu 9.04 (optional extra as in when it prompts you to choose lamp install etc)

  6. #5

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,654
    Thank Post
    1,258
    Thanked 781 Times in 678 Posts
    Rep Power
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    we use KVM on ubuntu, works very well, havn't had a problem with it, not quite as easy to set up as ESXI, but it comes as a optional extra when you install ubuntu 9.04 (optional extra as in when it prompts you to choose lamp install etc)
    Has anyone used Ubuntu 9.10 Cloud Server setup? Does that use KVM or Xen, or do you get a choice of the two or something?

    --
    David Hicks

  7. #6

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,817
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Rep Power
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Has anyone used Ubuntu 9.10 Cloud Server setup? Does that use KVM or Xen, or do you get a choice of the two or something?

    Its 9.10 that its an option, in 9.04 you have to install it using sudo apt-get etc

    we use qemu/KVM but i think you can set it up as xen not sure

  8. #7
    clodhopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    93
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Rep Power
    18
    We've been trialling KVM on Ubuntu 9.10 & it works really well. We had some help setting it up initially from a company called DNUK who have a developed a product called OVP to make the management all web based. I can't praise them enough for there work on this and I think I'd have less hair if I hadn't used it.

    We also use the open source based SAN called OSS

    I''d recommend having a chat with them if you're thinking of using Open Source virtualisation as they run there business on it so quite important to them :-)

    If you'd like more info just ask :-)

    Open Virtualization Platform (OVP) | DNUK
    Open Storage Server (OSS) | DNUK

  9. Thanks to clodhopper from:

    apaton (1st February 2010)

  10. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    33
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    We've been trialling KVM on Ubuntu 9.10 & it works really well. We had some help setting it up initially from a company called DNUK who have a developed a product called OVP to make the management all web based. I can't praise them enough for there work on this and I think I'd have less hair if I hadn't used it.

    We also use the open source based SAN called OSS

    I''d recommend having a chat with them if you're thinking of using Open Source virtualisation as they run there business on it so quite important to them :-)

    If you'd like more info just ask :-)

    Open Virtualization Platform (OVP) | DNUK
    Open Storage Server (OSS) | DNUK
    Good Stuff.

    I have finally setup a KVM host but am unable to use KSM as I want openvz support also. Unfortunately KSM is only supported in kernel 2.32+ and openvz isn't.

    The performance of KVM so far for me has been solid and very responsive. I wont be going back to any of the commercial hyper-visors unless there is some major problems I come across.

  11. #9
    apaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Kings Norton
    Posts
    283
    Thank Post
    54
    Thanked 106 Times in 87 Posts
    Rep Power
    36
    Thanks for the post guys. I found many people using KVM either Centos, Ubuntu and have good things to say.

    Red Hat release RHEV (Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization for Servers) which not only provides official support for KVM but provides a cut down KVM hypervisor Linux image and a web based framework to manage the virtual infrastructure. (VM's and Hosts)

    The Management server runs on a Windows 2003 server! I will say that again the Management server only runs on Windows 2003. I'm sure the technical reason for this is for the provision and management of virtual Microsoft Windows machines (sysprep etc..), but still wasn't expecting the requirement for Windows from a Red Hat product.

    My second surprise, if you use the RHEV Hypervisor (ESXi style) you have to purchase support/subscription for Red Hat virtual machines. So you need to purchase RHEV at $500 per socket plus subscriptions for you Red Hat VM's. You don't get anything for nothing

    This product is going after VMware and XenServer with a big focus on management and cost savings.

    Still have tried the software yet myself, trying to get a demo.


    Andy

  12. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    33
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by apaton View Post
    snip...

    The Management server runs on a Windows 2003 server! I will say that again the Management server only runs on Windows 2003. I'm sure the technical reason for this is for the provision and management of virtual Microsoft Windows machines (sysprep etc..), but still wasn't expecting the requirement for Windows from a Red Hat product.
    ...snip
    Cross platform management should be a no brainer for this sort of thing. Its one of the reasons I left the other commercial products for opensource KVM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. [Video] happiness hat
    By mattx in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27th November 2009, 08:30 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 5th May 2009, 11:01 AM
  3. Maple TA/PostgreSQL on Red Hat
    By ejenk1ns in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 9th December 2008, 02:28 PM
  4. The Hat
    By cooper in forum Downloads
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26th May 2008, 07:25 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •