+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
*nix Thread, Which *nix server for home, without time consuming setup? in Technical; Your home server is a good idea, but finding a solution to do everything is hard but i have seen ...
    Thank Post
    Your home server is a good idea, but finding a solution to do everything is hard but i have seen the untangle setup working and its very good.

I would concider a good router than can be flashed with wrt or tomato firmware so that it can be used with open dns to content filter by default. Tomato has good qos settings that can ensure everyone has enough and can filter out torrent traffic or skype altogether or at certain hours. Open DNS can be configured to block groups or specific sites and use it to protect all my home network.

Thank Post
    I'd recommend OpenDNS as a starting point. It's easy to avoid the filtering if you know what you are doing, unless you've locked down the network settings.

Not much experience with filtering/parental control software, only basic linux servers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiendishlyclever View Post
    I'd recommend OpenDNS as a starting point. It's easy to avoid the filtering if you know what you are doing, unless you've locked down the network settings.
    I was just about to say the same thing! This months (well, February to be pedantic, but the latest issue!) Computer Shopper has an "idiots" guide to using openDNS. Send me your email addy and I'll scan it for you it you're interested!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Andy,

As a matter of interest

What did you end up with as a solution?

Quote Originally Posted by brookesandrew View Post
    Now that my kids at home are wanting to use the internet and email under my wife or my supervision, I feel the need for a home server again to help filter and monitor. Before having kids I used to run a FreeBSD server at home for email and web serving, a few years ago I was on an economy drive getting rid of all non-essential 24/7 electrical items, it had to go.

What would people recommend as an "out of the box" *BSD or Linux solution to run on a AMD 1.5Ghz with 512MB RAM and 2x40GB HDD's, i'm at that age now where after network managing (M$ Server 2003) at work all day the last thing I want to do is get home and start "work" again, my days of being single and spending hours installing and configuring FreeBSD and server applications at home are long gone.

I'm looking for an installation that installs the following:

Firewall
    Internet Filtering (by user)
    Email server
    Web server + CMS
    Samba server
    Web based configuration

Basically if it exists, a distribution that at point of install asks for my TCPIP settings, domain name and admin username and password then installs it all and tells me to access a web page to simply set up users, email aliases, shares, firewall and filtering. I don't particularly want something that installs a GUI after all this is a server (servers shouldn't have GUI's).

I've just downloaded SME Server 7.4 to try, also looked at Karoshi but not sure it would suit home use, what else do you guys suggest that doesnít need much work to install and configure? (Yes it seems Iíve been brainwashed into point, click, use mindset, or is it I value my time at home more these days?).

Thanks
    Andy.

Thank Post
    Karoshi?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12