+ Post New Thread
*nix Thread, Backup Exec on Ubuntu in Technical; Hey all! I know the official line is that Debian/Ubuntu is not supported by backup exec (I'm on version 11d). ...
    Thank Post

Backup Exec on Ubuntu

Hey all!

I know the official line is that Debian/Ubuntu is not supported by backup exec (I'm on version 11d). But I did a bit of googling and found a few people who have suggested techniques for getting the RALUS agent (which I assume is the backup agent for linux) working on an ubutu server.

Im thinking I might spend a bit of time on it next week during half term, see if i can get it working. Though I cant actually find the files I need on the symantec site yet :|

Has anyone here sucessfully achieved this and managed to get their Ubuntu servers backed up with by Backup Exec.

Sean

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    backup exec is written for windows and UNIX so I don't know why your trying to use it for linux. However I may be able to help you but I could use a few more details such as how often you want to backup, what your backing up to etc. If your backing up to a separate machine which your using specifically for backups then I recommend FreeNas which is based on FreeBSD and has a very simple webGui.

If you absolutely have to use symatec then I guess its possible to install RALUS on the ubuntu server. I recommend you copy these steps here

A debian program called alien is used in the process to convert the .rpm files to .deb . LInk to alien is here.

The rpm's are available to download from the symatec site and are in a .tar archive.
    However to download the .tar file for RALUS you must comply with the conditions. The download link is at the bottom of this page.

Hope the links help.
    Last edited by llawwehttam; 30th October 2009 at 06:09 AM.

Thank Post
    Wouldn't bother with trying to get the agent installed.

Would instead try installing samba and granting a user permission to / which you can try to connect to from back up exec and back it up that way.

Failing that, rsync it from the ubuntu box onto the backup exec server and have it back up the local folder.

Thank Post
    Yea, ive not got very far with that. Instead im going to backup/copy my virtual machines to a samba share on the linux box, and get them properly backed up from there. Let u know how i get on!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread